OMG a new guy!

• Thread starter Amomynous
  • 21 comments
England
Leicester, UK
Amomynous_91
ONI Hatter
Noob drifter alert!

Basically, i've generally been an Xbox/Forza player for most of this generation's worth of gaming. I've been drifting on that game for the past 5 or 6 years and i've pretty much got it down to a T now. I decided, seeing as my poor old PS3 and GT5 disc were getting bored(as well as the obvious fact that everything about GT is better than FM, especially the tyre smoke :P), that i'd crack open a cold beer, slap a few HP into a light S13, and put the power down while mixing in a little counter-steer.

Turns out, i'm pants. I can't drift for turkey on this game, and it's really getting to me... I've pretty much picked up the controller, failed miserably for twenty minutes, then thrown it down and picked my Xbox controller back up atleast 10 times now. I can get a few drifts down, but most of the time i'm just not getting it. Either, my entry is appauling and i've set myself up for the worst line possible, or my exit is pathetic and i find myself unprepared for the next turn, or maybe even drifting off track and into a wall. That is, if that hasn't already happened part way round the corner because for some reason my car's remember going sideways wasn't what it was born to do and grabs a buttload of grip out of nowhere...

This, i guess, is a cry for help. I pride myself on being good at everything i do, because, so far i am :P Until this. I won't give up until i'm a superstar, but i think i may just need a little push to get me going. So, if there's anybody out there that's willing to throw a few tips my way, and maybe even get me into an online lobby, watch me crash into walls and tell me what i'm doing wrong, that'd be fantastic!

Last edited:
Heyas. I'm Dominique, a.k.a Dom, or the Princess. ;) I'd love to help you out a bit, see how you do and try to give you some pointers. I'm a pretty harsh sometimes, but I'm always honest. ;) If this hasn't scared you, my PSN is to the left. :D

Well, you see, i'm not introducing myself to the whole of GT planet at the minute, just to the Drift section as that is my main venture thus far.

I actually plan on starting up my own gallery in the Photomode area soon so i'll introduce myself to the world of Gran Turisimo people once i'm ready :P

I can understand what your getting at, but quite frankly if you are introducing yourself at all here, it is supposed to go in that forum. ;) I think there is an option to move this thread on the right. ;)

Welcome to the forum where as you can see, people will jump on you when you do something even remotely wrong!
All joking aside, transferring from FM to GT5 is more of a task than people may first assume. The physics are radically different. Only the basics apply when you transfer.

Okay, fine.. This thread is basically focused around my lack of drifting skill, so i'm not going to move it to an irrelevant section of the forum. However, i will make a post over there introducing myself just to make you happy :)

Welcome to the forum where as you can see, people will jump on you when you do something even remotely wrong!
All joking aside, transferring from FM to GT5 is more of a task than people may first assume. The physics are radically different. Only the basics apply when you transfer.

Yeah... I found that out the hard way :P

I've been using my techniques from Forza here, and they don't seem to be working very well for me. I guess i'm just going to have to go at it as if i'm completely new to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... I found that out the hard way :P

I've been using my techniques from Forza here, and they don't seem to be working very well for me. I guess i'm just going to have to go at it as if i'm completely new to it.

Unfortunately I'm going to have do some back seat moderating myself and let you know about double posting. I do it because otherwise you can be punished for it. :ouch: Use the edit button buddy.

I too would happily give you some tips over PSN and as I'm in the UK, timing isn't at all hard. I used to drift with a DS3 and still do at times so I can help out.

Well, i editted it to seem less like an introduction and more like a "help i'm a moron" post. I've just made a proper introduction thread, before seeing your post.

I'll add you too, and hopefully you can point me in the right direction (as long as i'm facing sideways while going in said direction ^^)

Just an FYI, because i don't seem to have mentioned in, i'm using the controller as i don't currently possess a wheel. I am looking to get a G25 or G27 though if i can scrape the money together.

Well, i editted it to seem less like an introduction and more like a "help i'm a moron" post. I've just made a proper introduction thread, before seeing your post.

I'll add you too, and hopefully you can point me in the right direction (as long as i'm facing sideways while going in said direction ^^)

Just an FYI, because i don't seem to have mentioned in, i'm using the controller as i don't currently possess a wheel. I am looking to get a G25 or G27 though if i can scrape the money together.

I meant your two most recent posts above. You put two together. Not to worry, a moderator may be kind enough to edit them for you! I've already tried adding you, but PSN is not recognising the name you put as your PSN ID.

Oh, i see.. Sorry.. I responded to his post before i saw yours, so that was my bad :(

Erm, yeah, that's 'cause i've put my PSN wrong :P It's actually Amomynous-91, not Amomynous_91 >.<

Streeto
And that's the difference between an arcade game and a sim.

^ this.

I have both FM and GT but have been GT drifting since GT1. The physics in GT are a LOT different than those in FM.

My brief tips for you: Start with the FC (or s13) and use them bone stock. Go to indy road course and practice on the S turns there. Indy is flat and that section is perfect for learning. Stick with comfort hards and practice, practice, practice!

Check out my team website for a brief tutorial. Ive been told it is insightful. :sly:

What controller setup are you using. If your using auto transmission you want to scrap that straight away and go manual. Here is my ds3 setup X gear down, square gear up, r2 accelerate, L2 brake, and circle hand brake. I drifted the controller for a long time and found this setup perfect.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new as well, about three weeks playing, and I too used the controller with painfully little success. I then took the time to figure out how the tuning process works and sat down to really work on my technique. If our schedules work, I'm more than willing to spend some live time working on my own technique along with you as long as you're willing to use relatively low powered cars with comfort hard tires and no driving aids. Also, WELCOME!

^ this.

I have both FM and GT but have been GT drifting since GT1. The physics in GT are a LOT different than those in FM.

My brief tips for you: Start with the FC (or s13) and use them bone stock. Go to indy road course and practice on the S turns there. Indy is flat and that section is perfect for learning. Stick with comfort hards and practice, practice, practice!

Check out my team website for a brief tutorial. Ive been told it is insightful. :sly:

I'm using a 340bhp S13 at the minute, i actually used one of the tunes in the tune setup thread. I've mainly been 'practicing' on Tsukuba and Suzuka because i know those tracks like the back of my hand. I'll have a look at your tutorial, thanks!

What controller setup are you using. If your using auto transmission you want to scrap that straight away and go manual. Here is my ds3 setup X gear down, square gear up, r2 accelerate, L2 brake, and circle hand brake. I drifted the controller for a long time and found this setup perfect.

I've set my controller/buttons up to be pretty much exactly the same as FM's, as that's what i'm used to. I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I'm relatively new as well, about three weeks playing, and I too used the controller with painfully little success. I then took the time to figure out how the tuning process works and sat down to really work on my technique. If our schedules work, I'm more than willing to spend some live time working on my own technique along with you as long as you're willing to use relatively low powered cars with comfort hard tires and no driving aids. Also, WELCOME!

To be honest i'm thinking this is part of the problem. Other than me being used to the physics of Forza, i also have no clue how the tuning affects the car on this game. I can tune to drift and to race on Forza, but i've never done enough of it on here to know where i need to be.

I'd definitely be up for practicing with you. I don't mind what car we use, i just like to make it go sideways! :P

^ this.

I agree with DGambino. Start out with a low hp car and definitely use comfort hard tires. From there, work your way up to high powered cars.

And oh yea, before you play, a bowl of rice will help too 👍

I'm using a 340bhp S13 at the minute, i actually used one of the tunes in the tune setup thread. I've mainly been 'practicing' on Tsukuba and Suzuka because i know those tracks like the back of my hand. I'll have a look at your tutorial, thanks!

Switch over to a bone stock FC or S13. They have the perfect weight balance and power to keep and maintain a drift.

As for tunes, only use what's posted as a baseline to educate yourself on GT5's drift settings and then test the differences. Then make your own tune adapted to your own style. You want to adapt the car to you and you can't do that using someone's tune.

I know all that about tunes. I basically tune all my cars from the ground up myself on Forza, but like i said, i'm not entirely sure how the tuning works on this game so i took a 'good' tune to start me off.

I will definitely try it will a lower hp car though, if you say that will help.

Yeahhhhh... I would buy a G27 but my current bank balance is about £2.40, and i only have £56 coming in a week until i can find myself an actual job :(

There are lots of experience drifters around here to help you, im not one of them, but i still have lots of fun drifting with DS3. I play GT since its second version, consider myself a good grip driver, but just started drifting a couple of months a go. I think i got it pretty "easily" how to do it(i follow real drift for a long time), i used a couple of JDM cars to start with, but after testing a C4 grand sport vette, it became my only drift car. So in my opinion, a bit on the other way some guys said here, i like cars that make power (400+), this way i can connect the whole track with smooth transitions. Trying to figure out your own tune is the way to go, but i don't see nothing wrong starting with a solid base(someone else's tune) and then make some tests to suit it to your style. Anyway, it's a matter of taste, if you want to add me on psn i will be happy to send you some project cars i have for free, other than that, use lsd(45/55/50) and comfort hard tires.

Back