OMG! Botched Screen Size

• Thread starter SFBayCat
  • 1 comments
United States
United States
This is a therapeutic, venting rant to cool some steam and get my blood pressure down. After all the countless hours of research I've done on chassis types, wheel bases, pedals, seats, haptics, software and games...I Botched the screen size!

Just about 3 months ago , I was playing Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 with a controller. After nearly a decade of dreaming of upgrading, I finally did it. First I bought the Fanatec DD Pro wheel base 8nm (already want more), Club Sport V3 Inverted pedals, Club Sport wheel and a Buttkicker. I attached it all to a re-purposed big-screen entertainment center and a re-purposed corner-bookshelf. I had it set up sweet (all enclosed with roof, walls and all). I enjoyed it for a few weeks when it occurred to me Black Friday deals were coming up. I took advantage of everything I could afford. Too bad I didn't think to wait for Black Friday to buy all my Fanatec gear. I got a Trak Racer TR120 chassis with a boat load of accessories and a Samsung Odyssey G9 all on Black Friday deals.

Back to the point. I love Gran Turismo 7. From what I hear it's kind of arcade-like compared to the PC sims. Before I graduate to PC sims, my plan was, to improve my driving skills with GT7 on PS5. As a result, that was the main factor in my screen type decision, which in turn, played a hand in the decision I made for my monitor stand. GT7 does not support triples. Knowing I was going to be playing GT7 for a long bit, I decided on the Ultra Wide Screen G9. Well guess what dummy? GT7 doesn't support ultra wide screens either!

After multiple delays and hang-ups, I just got the majority of my rig built and decided to treat myself with a test run. Disappointing to say the least. Everything was stretch beyond what I can tolerate. I can't do it! I tried playing with the screen sizes and resolutions in the G9 settings, the PS5 settings and the in-game settings. You know what I found out? I found out I was happy that I went crazy buying extra stuff on Black Friday deals. I purchased a triples setup for my TR120 to keep on the shelf for graduation day. Not only that but, I purchase an additional self-standing monitor stand up to 80" because the one I had the G9 mounted on is set up for chassis-mounted quads up to 45". Thankfully because of that, I can go back to my 65" big screen TV for now. I was originally going to use the self-standing monitor to see if I could fabricate some sort of speaker mounting system. I always knew I was going to upgrade to triples some day, I just didn't know it was going to be so soon. When that day comes, I know I'm going to need to fork out major cash for a more powerful PC and some good triples. Until the new monitors I have my eye on, come down in price or when some new tech comes out at CES in 2023. I'll be waiting and watching. I'm boxing that Odyssey G9 up and sending it back.

Back