Omg I Figured Out The Gt!!!

LOOK MA! no oversteer!

Ok, so it took a fortnight and alot of tinkering, but i have managed to make the ford GT LM test car handle properly! The settings i have here are for competition in 700PP online races / pro phys / All off.

Power -33
Weight 93%

Tires Front: R2
Tires Rear; R3

Aero Front: 10
Aero Rear: 35

PP 700/700

Height Front: -5
Height Rear: 0
Spring Front: 10
Spring Rear: 1
Damper Front: 10
Damper Rear: 1
Toe Front: 0
Toe Rear: +.02
Camber Front: 1.0
Camber rear: 1.3
Brake Front: 5
Brake Rear: 5

Turning Angle: 43
Trac controll: Off
ABS: 1

1st: 2.250
2nd: 1.518
3rd: 1.114
4th: 0.926
5th: 0.786
6th: 0.686
Final: 5.000

Ok so i know, some of these settings look like a joke, but with professional physics and aids set to off, lets face it, in standard tune this thing handles like a joke! Something had to be done. Give these settings a try, if you aren't completely satisfied ill refund the purchase price. :)

Any/all feedback is welcome!

ENJOY!

Hi

I have just tried your setup, and what a setup it is!:).
This is the first I'm able to fully handle this car around the Suzuka track.
Thanks alot and keep up the good work!

GTP_BJM

I still don't understand why people don't lower the car more- wouldn't it reduce the centre of gravity and improve traction? And also, why is the toe angle not set to -50/+50? I always thought that was the most effective for tackling oversteer? Wow, I'm confused.

Ok so i know, some of these settings look like a joke, but with professional physics and aids set to off, lets face it, in standard tune this thing handles like a joke! Something had to be done. Give these settings a try, if you aren't completely satisfied ill refund the purchase price. :)

Any/all feedback is welcome!

ENJOY!

I don't agree that the standard car handles like a joke, it just requires a very sensitive throttle, after all the car does produce getting on for 500ft/lbs of torque from a little over idle. Mid engined cars need to be driven in a particular manner to get the most out of them, and sudden throttle position change when cornering will upset the balance of the car, the sheer low-down grunt of the GT just increases this.

I can see exactly what you have done with the settings and giving them a go backed it up, its simply made the car understeer as much as you can. The very stiff front end, with a soft rear, soft rear tyres and massive rear aero balance has made a car that has less grip at the front that the rear.

Does this 'cure' the oversteer issue, well yes, but for me it also makes the car a lot less enjoyable to drive and in my hands actually slower than a smooth lap with more balanced settings.

Tuning is a very personal thing and if it works for you then great, but for me it ruined how the standard car could be easily adjusted.

Sorry but this one is not one for me.

Regards

Scaff

does this cure the lift-up oversteer a little?

It is imo way too extreme in GT5P, I tried MR Cars in GTR2 and LFS aswell in GT4 and I can drive them with my style, but in GT5P even with the NSX I can't drive without ASM. I got a G25 and what I also realized, can it be that the sensitivity of the acceleration pedal is not that good in GT5P?

I still don't understand why people don't lower the car more- wouldn't it reduce the centre of gravity and improve traction? And also, why is the toe angle not set to -50/+50? I always thought that was the most effective for tackling oversteer? Wow, I'm confused.

well conventionally you want the car as low as possible while still alowing full suspension travel. however in the case of the ford GT we have to keep the back end very soft to prevent that Whip-oversteer it is so prone to. in making it soft we are increasing the ability of the suspension to travel, so having a low rear end would mean that the suspension would reach the end of its travel sooner and more abruptly; causing 'unpredictable' results. my goal for this tune was to create a chassis that would be more consistent than crazy fast. If i was going for a Time-Attack style tune then yes i would use harder rear and lower front and rear. I did lower the front a little bit but not so much that it would upset the handling, having the front much lower than the rear will cause oversteer, which is what im tuning against.

As far as Toe is concerned, adjusting the toe to a large degree like your saying will actually cause friction between the tires and the ground even when traveling in a straight line ( try it your top speed will not be the same) In addition to that Toe settings generally only help Turn-in behavior when the weight transfers to the outside wheels. think of the way that forklifts turn with the rear wheels. similar to that only both of the rear wheels go the same way, where on a car they go opposite ways. so although a slight toe in would make a (minor) improvement in the oversteer, it is a fundamental chassis imbalance that causes it and playing with toe is only a small band aid. for the ford GT we need reconstructive surgery!

if im wrong about this stuff let me know, but this is my understanding. (and so far it has worked out pretty damn well!) seriously tho try the GT LM stock and then try my tune, and see what you think.

Keep in mind, professional mode, no aids, no active steering, no traction controll.

does this cure the lift-up oversteer a little?

It is imo way too extreme in GT5P, I tried MR Cars in GTR2 and LFS aswell in GT4 and I can drive them with my style, but in GT5P even with the NSX I can't drive without ASM. I got a G25 and what I also realized, can it be that the sensitivity of the acceleration pedal is not that good in GT5P?

Yes sir!

The Snap-lift-oversteer is completely gone, now SOME lift oversteer does remain but it is a VERY manageable amount, the kind of lift oversteer that is handy for getting you through a overcooked corner. seriously this thing is solid as a rock with this tune, i find it eisier to drive than either of its american counterparts now. the viper and vette are toast to the mighty GT (once you make it neutral that is)

the advantages of this car are as follows:

-Grip: standing start (as in fuji) plop it in 2nd gear and stand on the throttle. NO joke you will keep up with GT-Rs Evos the lot!

-Turn in: there is no doubt that once the chassis is sorted a Mid engine car has the best weight balance and it shows, this thing darts for apexes!

-Forgivness: when tuned this car will forgive you for putting your breaking point a bit late, lift off the power fast give the wheel a yank and the front end just comes around no drama, nothing scary or un-expected.

-Power: sure everyone is limited to the same HP/Ton range, but the powerband on this ford is AMAZING you can rev it strong from 3000-7000 rpm and not notice a big loss in acceleration.

I don't agree that the standard car handles like a joke, it just requires a very sensitive throttle, after all the car does produce getting on for 500ft/lbs of torque from a little over idle. Mid engined cars need to be driven in a particular manner to get the most out of them, and sudden throttle position change when cornering will upset the balance of the car, the sheer low-down grunt of the GT just increases this.

I can see exactly what you have done with the settings and giving them a go backed it up, its simply made the car understeer as much as you can. The very stiff front end, with a soft rear, soft rear tyres and massive rear aero balance has made a car that has less grip at the front that the rear.

Does this 'cure' the oversteer issue, well yes, but for me it also makes the car a lot less enjoyable to drive and in my hands actually slower than a smooth lap with more balanced settings.

Tuning is a very personal thing and if it works for you then great, but for me it ruined how the standard car could be easily adjusted.

Sorry but this one is not one for me.

Regards

Scaff

I absolutely agree with what you are saying here. The car in stock tune will produce a faster lap in the hands of an expert driver. HOWEVER, I'm an ok driver but no shumacker, not even close, so ive set the car up to handle in a way that wont make me sweat profusely while driving it. Keep in mind i said in the first part of the post, this tune is specifically for online racing. where you will inevitably have to make sudden throttle adjustments because sombody in a evo X just ran into you because he forgot what brakes are for.

It is my opinion that in a Real world environment with other drivers on the track my tune is faster than stock. It only takes one trip into the forest to ruin your whole race.

All over these forums there are posts that have the same kind of air about them. "The GT on pro is impossible in a decreasing radius corner" "the GT is a Beast, i cant tame it" so on and so fourth, i think there is demand for a tune for this car that is more forgiving so im only so happy to supply it. :)

Scaff, as promised your refund will be delivered in full, im sorry this tune doesn't fit your driving style, maybe the next one will. :)

P.S. I have to bow to you sir, if you can truely manage faster laps with stock tune 700PP than this tune that is very very impressive indeed. pushing stock tune for time im very lucky to keep the nose pointed in the same direction for a whole lap. Thats some good driving!

well conventionally you want the car as low as possible while still alowing full suspension travel. however in the case of the ford GT we have............

if im wrong about this stuff let me know, but this is my understanding. (and so far it has worked out pretty damn well!) seriously tho try the GT LM stock and then try my tune, and see what you think.

Keep in mind, professional mode, no aids, no active steering, no traction control.

you are right in theory... about the travel, in reality if you drop a car that only has a lowering function you will damage the struts becuase of the uneven travel and kill the needed weight transfer, small amounts of body roll is acceptable. Most guys don't even get a corner balance job done, that really makes for a worst ride... Now with the newer technology coilovers such as the JIC's that i run on my 240, you can actually perform a body drop along with ride height adjustments and still maintain correct/decent amount of travel.

now above was just an reality approach and if you understand that you will be able to apply that to the virtual world, it really works.

It's easy to get fast times out of this setup but ultimately the understeer will prevent really fast lap times. Getting the back end out a little bit will improve the car, but a very good setup for such extreme settings.

Oh my what a difference! I've just taken your settings to the Suzuka 700PP online race and came in third behind GTP_PatchySan, in the first race without any off-roading! It drives very nice with your settings, cheers man!

Oh my what a difference! I've just taken your settings to the Suzuka 700PP online race and came in third behind GTP_PatchySan, in the first race without any off-roading! It drives very nice with your settings, cheers man!

too right I love my cars to feel like there on rails and this ticks al my boxes (BTW i was in the other GT that came second)

Well I have to admit there is a lot less lift-oversteer but the problem is now that it understeers like an FWD lol.

I can easily outrun my Viper on straights but in corners I have no chance to get anywhere near my Viper due to heavy understeer. It is nice to be able to drive the GT LM but I want to drive faster than with my Viper. I want to beat 2:04 on Suzuka which I couldn't so far with my Viper and with the GT LM and settings as posted here I drove only 2:05.xxx.

Anyway I took the GT LM beast with default settings and tried left foot braking to force my right foot to stay on throttle. Besides that this driving style is very annoying and needs a lot of concentration the only time I could get without fail through first part of first corner in Suzuka was with a throttle of 50%. I have very few problems with the GT LM in the overall track but the first corner is either spinning out or driving slowly and losing a lot of time :(.

I seem to have a strange driving style in this corner as I brake late and turn immedeatly after braking or maybe even during braking. But with a Viper, Vette, S2000, Mines and Blitz I ride that corner like on rails. With same settings my back spins with the GT LM, Lotus and surprisngly even with the GT-R. But I like that corner as it is one of the best overtaking places for my Viper online as I meet only very few opponents braking as late as me.

Anyone can give me some advice on driving first corner in Suzuka fast with the GT LM? With fast I mean ~190-200km/h entry speed and braking mid-way to 120km/h for second half.

Regards

Scaff

Man Scaff, you must absolutely LOVE oversteer! I mean, seriously, I thought *I* liked oversteer. I have a number of cars in GT4 which are tuned with, say, R2s on the front and R1s on the rear just to tune in plenty of oversteer. And, I should add, that I expect you would probably embarrass me in a race - I get the feeling that you are a very good driver.

But, that said, I also have to say that I'm just as convinced as you are as to the purity of Gran Turismo physics. I have owned and driven a fair number of very powerful vehicles IRL, I do occasional auto-x (poorly), and talk to a lot of auto-x drivers. In auto-x it is very, very rare to see an MR car spin-out. Usually when you do see this, it is an FR car or an RR car (especially the older "classic" Porsches). The MR cars and just balanced and poised. So far, the MR cars in GT5P are NOT balanced or poised. They feel like the front tires are permanently on pavement and the rears are on ice. I am also a classic VW driver, and have been since my first car, and I am comfortable with lift-off oversteer. These are underpowered cars of course, so you don't get the same level of lift-off oversteer as you do in a Porsche, but I've driven these in insane winter conditions, on dirt, in the wet, you get the idea. Lift-off oversteer is something I'm generally OK with (they suffer so much on-throttle understeer in winter conditions that you have to get used to "drifting" them around corners in the winter unless you want to enter that corner absurdly slowly). But some of the MR cars in GT5P are WILD for this. I just feel there is no way that a company could sell cars today as treacherous as GT5P makes-out MR cars to be. They just can't be that bad or the companies would have their hind-ends sued off because people would be spinning them out and dying just entering or exiting highways on ramps! The sweet soccer-mom driving the white Ford GT with the blue racing stripes in my area would be dead many times over. It would be a nightmare.

For now, I'm simply tuning my MR cars in GT5P to handle as much as possible like the MR models did in GT4. Maybe a little more oversteer, but not much. I'll keep trying to get used to it, but so far I'm really having problems with the new physics at they have applied it to MR cars.

I'm very interested in seeing if the final version of GT5 retains this behavior.

Edit: It turns out that Ford GT Road car does not have this wild lift-off oversteer or the abrupt snap-back on counter-steer if you don't use R2 or R3 tires on it. I've put a thread about this in the American Tuners section. Something I should have remembered from GT4 but didn't. If you use R1 or R3 tires on it then it does indeed handle very nicely.

Well I have to admit there is a lot less lift-oversteer but the problem is now that it understeers like an FWD lol.
Exactly why the set-up is not for me, I don't personally like solving one problem simply by putting another one in its place (and that's not a dig at the OP - rather personal taste).

Anyone can give me some advice on driving first corner in Suzuka fast with the GT LM? With fast I mean ~190-200km/h entry speed and braking mid-way to 120km/h for second half.
Pretty much the only advise I can give you for that is don't do it. MR cars just don't like sudden changes of balance half-way around a corner.

Trail braking will help, but to be honest straight line braking to the corner speed and the a steady throttle around the corner are the best way to go.

Man Scaff, you must absolutely LOVE oversteer! I mean, seriously, I thought *I* liked oversteer. I have a number of cars in GT4 which are tuned with, say, R2s on the front and R1s on the rear just to tune in plenty of oversteer. And, I should add, that I expect you would probably embarrass me in a race - I get the feeling that you are a very good driver.

But, that said, I also have to say that I'm just as convinced as you are as to the purity of Gran Turismo physics. I have owned and driven a fair number of very powerful vehicles IRL, I do occasional auto-x (poorly), and talk to a lot of auto-x drivers. In auto-x it is very, very rare to see an MR car spin-out. Usually when you do see this, it is an FR car or an RR car (especially the older "classic" Porsches). The MR cars and just balanced and poised. So far, the MR cars in GT5P are NOT balanced or poised. They feel like the front tires are permanently on pavement and the rears are on ice. I am also a classic VW driver, and have been since my first car, and I am comfortable with lift-off oversteer. These are underpowered cars of course, so you don't get the same level of lift-off oversteer as you do in a Porsche, but I've driven these in insane winter conditions, on dirt, in the wet, you get the idea. Lift-off oversteer is something I'm generally OK with (they suffer so much on-throttle understeer in winter conditions that you have to get used to "drifting" them around corners in the winter unless you want to enter that corner absurdly slowly). But the MR cars in GT5P are WILD for this. I just feel there is no way that a company could sell cars today as treacherous as GT5P makes-out MR cars to be. They just can't be that bad or the companies would have their hind-ends sued off because people would be spinning them out and dying just entering or exiting highways on ramps! The sweet soccer-mom driving the white Ford GT with the blue racing stripes in my area would be dead many times over. It would be a nightmare.

For now, I'm simply tuning my MR cars in GT5P to handle as much as possible like the MR models did in GT4. Maybe a little more oversteer, but not much. I'll keep trying to get used to it, but so far I'm really having problems with the new physics at they have applied it to MR cars.

I'm very interested in seeing if the final version of GT5 retains this behavior.
Ah I'm not that quick at all, I just like my cars the way I like them, and don't get me wrong I don't believe that GT5:P's physics are spot on at all. They are however a lot closer to reality that GT4 was.

In regard to the soccer mom GT driver, keep in mind that she will not drive the car anyway close to how we would in GT5:P. Give this a go, try driving as if you were on the road, so short shift all the time (and by that I mean change up at around 3,000rpm) never use more 30% to 40% throttle or brakes. Give that a go and see exactly what a difference it makes to how the cars feel.

The simple truth is if people drove cars on the road in the same way that they do in racing sims, then yes a lot of them would end up in accidents, but people don't. They drive 'normally' and that's a long way from rapid WOT and full braking.

That's what happens when you go WOT in a low gear in a MR (and one a lot less powerful than a GT), goes to show.

Regards

Scaff

Scaff, thank you for your advice. So it seems I can't use the GT LM for my driving style as I like to brake in corners sometimes and MRs don't like that.
The settings here allow my style in first corner but are pointless to reach hot-laps. But for online racing I admit they are very good as there the speed is not as important as a steady pace.

But I will now start GT4 and try the GT LM there on Suzuka, I just want to see the difference.

In general I like the physics in GT5P but the MRs need a lot of concentration to drive safely. And to drive it fast you also need a lot of skill which I lack. I probably need much more training and shouldn't race my Viper Ghost as it leaves me far behind in first corner :(.

Anyway I will try the GT LM again. It is one of these few cars you share a love/hate relationship with ;)

EDIT:

OK, I just tried GT4 and have mixed feelings about the results.

First I have to admit that GT4 simulates the Ford GT quite similiar to GT5P. The reason I never noticed the lift-oversteer before is that I bought the G25 for GT5P and now race without aids. With aids there is naturally no lift-oversteer so I had no problems with the pad.

So I took the GT LM Testcar in GT4 and used similiar settings as in GT5P with a downforce of 30/35 (in GT5P I use 20/25). On my first tries in the first corner of Suzuka the same thing happened to me as in GT5P and I was like :eek:.
Then I took the normal Ford GT'05 and put some tunings and a wing on it. The result was very bad as this car had so much lift-oversteer that it would kill anyone in real world on public roads. Seriously I had oversteer and a spin-out in the shicane@70-80km/h something I never experienced in GT5P.
Therefore I decided to use the GT LM Testcar again and to change some settings. I thought my problem was the brake bias but you can't change it on that car in GT4 so I modified downforce to 23/35 and what a change! No lift-oversteer and I could easily drive a 1:59.400 at first try with a great handling and little oversteer, of course you can't compare lap-times as the GT LM in GT4 is considerably more powerful.

At last I tried also a Viper SRT10 with tuning (R3 tyres, gear ratios, brake balance controller, weight reduce) and a wing and to my surprise it handled similiar to GT5P so my first round was already 2:05.166. In second try I drove 2:02.341 as there was much more grip than expected. In general the grip in GT4 with same tyres is much higher than in GT5P and there is less tyre slip in GT4. Also in GT4 I had no wheelspin with TCS off so I could drive the Viper almost like an 4WD in GT5P :dunce:

So my conclusion on the GT LM:
The car is a beast and if you want to beat lap times you need to change "yourself" to its style and not force your style on it. I tried it and I can now in 3 of 4 cases run safely through first corner in Suzuka with the GT LM. Of course much slower as with the Viper but I also should consider that I probably raced over 50 rounds with the Viper on Suzuka. But on the straight the GT LM beats my Viper with 2-3 car lengths with less power and more weight than the Viper. What a fantastic engine characteristic 👍

Now I need to figure out how to drive fast in the esses. My problem especially is what if the car understeers a little. With the viper I lift the accelartion pedal a little but with the GT LM this will amolst always result in heavy oversteer :nervous:

btw. here is my current setup of the GT LM but I will play around with downforce ratio:

Power -33
Weight 96%

Tires Front: R3
Tires Rear; R3

Aero Front: 20
Aero Rear: 25

Height Front: -15
Height Rear: -15
Spring Front: 4
Spring Rear: 8
Damper Front: 3
Damper Rear: 7
Toe Front: -0.5
Toe Rear: +0.5
Camber Front: 4.5
Camber rear: 2.5
Brake Front: 8
Brake Rear: 3

Turning Angle: 33
Trac controll: Off
ABS: 1

Hmmm interesting results. Thank all of you for the feedback. I think i will start working on a 2nd tune for the GT for more talented drivers / time attack driving, as it seems there is a demand for it. To those who are complaining about the understeer, are more bothered by turn in understeer, or mid corner throttle application understeer?

I think ill take the liberty to tune it for mid-high speed tracks with suzuka being the slowest ill set it for.

It will be difficult for me to determine exactly when i have it set properly, probably at the point where it becomes just a bit too hard for me to drive =)

So expert tune coming soon!

the turn-in of the car is quite good as it as MR. But with the setup in the first post you get lots of understeer in mid-corner and there it is very hard to handle the car. With you setting at least there is no lift-oversteer but commen sense is I guess that you can't drive best times with an understeering car like an FWD.

I will also try some more testing but as I already said the GT LM is all about the driver. The normal Ford GT even more. I once met a guy in Suzuka online with the Ford GT (not LM!) and he was only a little slower in the corners but on the straights it was like "see you later Pal". No chance even with drafting, eventually I overtook him at corner exit of the hairpin but still what a skilled driver 👍

Besides @topgearhead, are you playing with Pad? Because your turning angle seems like it. With my G25 this turning angle is far too much for me and very dangerous at corner exit.

EDIT:
Yay! I just drove a 2:04.701 being only 0.05s slower than the Viper and the round has some potential. I might be able to beat 2:04 with it. Very nice, need to practice more ;)

I'm used to the lift off oversteer. I just sorta "time it" when to let off the gas so I'm pointed in the right direction. It doesn't really bother me as I do a lot of my steering with the throttle. I'm to the point now where I can usually predict the behavior of the car. My strategy w/ the GT is simply getting straightened out as quickly as possible so I can "punch it" to the next corner...lol. The only time the oversteer problem rears its ugly head is when I have to suddenly lift in traffic. Then things can get a little hairy/unpredictable.

What's funny is that I actually give it a little more rear toe out than you do. I like to be able to cut in tight.

While your setup might not suit me as well on timetrials, it might make for a really good set for racing online because, like you said, one good bump from another car might send me flying off with a near stock stock setup.

I will give it a try and report back. Thanks

I booted up GT4 this afternoon and tried to use my old Ford GT setup that I liked so much. With the lack of tuning options in Prologue, I found that it just did not work out the same.

Your setup is actually much better than I expected and I did pretty good with it online (so long as the host did not disconnect). It just took me a bit to "re-learn" how to drive the car.

Thanks for posting it.

Are you guys using controllers or wheels? I have wheel and find the stock GT completely manageable... it's all straight line braking to the corner speed and solid low throttle through the corner to hold the speed.

Although... I will admit to coming out of some corners one gear higher than I should (usually 3rd when there is something left in second) so I can lay down the power a little earlier without having the backend slide out...

Friedmud

Wheel here. Can't drive the stock GT LM at all. Guess I have to learn the braking in straight line thing before I can start driving the stock..

But the tunings from topgearhead, oh my, I like 'em so much! I've said this already but after many more races I just want to say it again! :) Together with the tunings this is now my favorite car for Suzuka 700pp online. It even lets you slide here and there and correct pretty big errors easily.

Many thanks to topgearhead! :cheers:

Yes but too much can bottom out the suspension... I mean look at that set, the F-Dampers are full and its lowered by 5 , technically the cars front shocks/struts should be bottoming out lol, but that much stiffness keeps rear-end from moving alot and thus preventing oversteer.

Yes I agree with you on the toe, it is probably making power less efficient slightly. If I remeber correctly you want positive toe on the front to create stbility under accel. and braking, although with those dampers again you might want to just reduce them a little bit and get rid of the toe, thats my opinion though.

Wheel here. Can't drive the stock GT LM at all. Guess I have to learn the braking in straight line thing before I can start driving the stock..

But the tunings from topgearhead, oh my, I like 'em so much! I've said this already but after many more races I just want to say it again! :) Together with the tunings this is now my favorite car for Suzuka 700pp online. It even lets you slide here and there and correct pretty big errors easily.

Many thanks to topgearhead! :cheers:

hehe thats what i was going for, glad you like it. :)

For those who would like a Gt with a bigger bite, put R3's on the front, and even out the spring rates / dampers.

Scaff

I've been playing with both Fords now quite a bit more, and I think you are actually spot on here Scaff. The problem is almost certainly the tires most people are choosing to use. I put a thread about it here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106058

If you use harder tires the car is just about perfectly balanced as is, right out of the box. Somehow, I had forgotten that one very important thing about the Ford GT (as rendered in GT4). Possibly I assumed that PD would have fixed the issue. At any rate, I was running the Fords on R3s despite learning the hard way in GT4 than anything softer than an R1 totally hoses the car.

Now that I have the correct tires on the car it is a dream (plus, I've made the gearing taller to help tire-spin. With torque like that tall gears are fine).

Back