OMG! If you value your rating DO NOT RETIRE AND SPECTATE!!!!!PS4 

• Thread starter mattikake
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
W...T...F...?

So I was drinking instead of racing with a newly sprained ankle... chatting away... giving people my setups... decided to spectate... but little did i know, AT THE TOTAL COST OF MY RATING!

Not that I was paying attention until now, but you will see in this vid my rating plummet from A1546 @ 05:20 to A1528 @ 31:30. This must be a recent change because I've done this before without being penalised for it.

Why? Why? Why?

Oh you dirty evil scum sucking incompetent real-life illiterate devs.

A A1563 rating down to A1528 just for watching and chatting to your mates over 2 races. "Mates." An alien concept to these morons.

So in other words, I can no longer watch a race?

So let me get this straight.
You join a race with activated rating system, retire (which essentially means finishing last) and wonder that you're losing rating points? :rolleyes:
That's literally how the system is supposed to work.

If you wanna chat and relax with your "mates", turn off the rating system but don't blame the game (or devs) for your lack of attention.

"plummet from A1546 @ 05:20 to A1528". 18 points is not "plummeting", that's called "not even mildly irritating".

As for the rest of your post, I'm guessing that's the drink talking. If you want a developer to take your concerns seriously then you can start by being polite instead of rude and arrogant. Not that there's anything they need to do, as Bealdor already pointed out. You started a race and then you retired, what did you honestly expect would happen? The game can't auto-magically know that you retired just to spectate, it can only see that you retired to the pits. If you just wanted to spectate, you should have asked your friends to invite you as a race director.

As the saying goes "Don't drink and drive" ;)

Last edited:
"plummet from A1546 @ 05:20 to A1528". 16 points is not "plummeting", that's called "not even mildly irritating".

As for the rest of your post, I'm guessing that's the drink talking. If you want a developer to take your concerns seriously then you can start by being polite instead of rude and arrogant. Not that there's anything they need to do, as Bealdor already pointed out. You started a race and then you retired, what did you honestly expect would happen? The game can't auto-magically know that you retired just to spectate, it can only see that you retired to the pits. If you just wanted to spectate, you should have asked your friends to invite you as a race director.

As the saying goes "Don't drink and drive" ;)

18 points. :P

Last I knew if you select retire and spectate BEFORE a race starts nothing should happen to your rating. I do a lot of spectating. It can be fun. But I'm sure I never saw my rating drop. If it has, that explains a lot!

I could swear it didn't penalise your rating before patch 5. In fact I might be able to dig some old evidence out for that...

And then if it supposed to rape your rating, why? For what reason? I didn't start the race. I haven't affected anyone. If I quit before a race starts my rating isn't affected.

"The game can't auto-magically know that you retired just to spectate, it can only see that you retired to the pits.

What? You mean by selecting an option to "retire and spectate"? Lol

Last edited:
The clue is still there in the name, "retire and spectate" not simply "spectate". You've taken part in qualifying and then chosen to retire, in your instance to spectate, but the game can't know that, you could simply have decided "I'm in last place, I can't be bothered" so it penalises you for it.

Again, 18 points is hardly a massive drop and certainly not enough to start using language like "rape your rating". Get a grip for heaven's sake.

Is the points system perfect? No and neither are license systems in other games - arguably, no automatic system ever will be. Your approach/report to the problem is what gets some people's backs up, not necessarily the issue at hand itself :)

I am not 100 percent sure but think I had retired from qually anf left room few times (before patch 5) and have never been penalized.

I am not 100 percent sure but think I had retired from qually anf left room few times (before patch 5) and have never been penalized.

You don't get penalised for leaving during the quali session IIRC. You do when retiring/leaving during the race session though. Doesn't matter if the race already started or not.

If there isn't an option to just be a spectator(maybe there should be, if activated by the host) then it seems rather straightforward. If you quit the race, all the game knows is you're a quitter. Quitters are among the absolute worst things about online racing games(and a lot of games). Right up there with lag, rammers, and jackass hosts. So if you quit, you get penalized as a quitter. If you and some friends are hanging out and not taking things seriously, it should probably be done in an unranked room.

Might as well get the OP to clarify, here. Did he retire and spectate BEFORE the race started, or after? That's what the OP video shows. Before. So why should that be a rating drop? He didn't even start.

IMHO, that's a BS 'feature', penalizing a chap for doing the right thing, retiring before he drove drunk! Also, it puts quite a disincentive on joining a quiet-ish room, realizing you are WAY off the pace, and spectating much better drivers to try and gain some tips and pointers under race conditions rather than starting and creating an incident for fear of losing points.

I agree, you want to 'sim' racing, start and retire, lose points. But withdraw before the race starts and STILL lose them?

I am always amused that anything odd the devs do that the mob feels like justifying is done so they can claim 'sim' status, but anything that completely breaks simming (like timed penalties served by slowing down on track) is also justified because it isn't simming 'racing'... You guys need a more consistent position!

I am always amused that anything odd the devs do that the mob feels like justifying is done so they can claim 'sim' status, but anything that completely breaks simming (like timed penalties served by slowing down on track) is also justified because it isn't simming 'racing'... You guys need a more consistent position!

That's always the bottom line isn't it? There's many things like this in PC2. Sometimes it's a sim, sometimes a game, yet they claim "sim" all the time. So then, in what real motor sport do drivers get driving standards warnings (and I've since worked out it's a 1% drop PER SPIN to your safety rating when you're an A rated driver) in practice. Here's a tip; the clue is in the name - PRACTICE! Drivers need to be free to find the limit, because you kinda do that in PRACTICE.

Or what form of motor sport gets a driver an instant DSQ for spinning in the pitlane or speeding? None.

Sim? Really? lol I often wonder if anyone at SMS has ever seen a real motor race. The annoying thing is, it's so easy to fix - pick a side of the fence.

It would've been nice to know in advance that this penalty would happen rather than looking at my rating afterwards and thinking... hang on a sec, wasn't that like 40 points higher earlier today? So then, there is a warning right here ^.

Back