On/off throttle?

• Thread starter R3LF1313
  • 17 comments
United States
United States
Anyone else having this issue? I have used the x and square buttons to play GT since the first one and would find it very difficult to change up control scemes now, but I am finding the throttle much harder to modulate than in past GTs.

In past GTs one of the things I liked so much about it was the ability to hold a steady throttle and then roll on the gas with added pressure on the x button, but so far that seems all but impossible in this one.

Could it be a controller issue? (Like the 50% throttle only issue I've read about) Maybe there is a setting buried somewhere?

I’ve not tried x and square in this one, but I used them for many years in previous ones.
I switched to L2 and R2 and find it offers much easier and more precise control. I’d definitely give it a few races and see how you get on

DS4 face buttons are no longer pressure sensitive. They are literally an on/off switch.

I ran X & [ ] buttons on GT since the 1st one as well. I decided to accept change this time around and using L2 & R2 for gas and brake (every other driving game has adopted this control setup). I highly recommend you accept change as well as the trigger buttons give you more range of motion for throttle which you really have to finesse in this game especially if you don't run TCS.

My only issue is that my two identical controllers have different trigger sensitivities. I had to mark one as my primary driving controller but it doesn't stay charged forever.

Yes, it is a mystery why they went back in time and made the buttons on/off switches like in the old days. This bothered me as well. I'm using L2/R2 for brake/throttle, and it's actually pretty intuitive to learn.

Wow, well if the buttons are not at all pressure sensitive then that for sure forces the decision to get used to a different scheme. Wish I would have known that before spending muliple attempts trying to be smooth on the NSX overstear test! Lol

thanks for informing that the DS4 controllers are not pressure sensitive. I actually just bought a PS4 Pro just for GTS and i realized with TCS at zero, i was about to toss my controller at the wall. I too also use X and [ ] button. GT1 old school style.

The analog sticks work better for me, with the sticky grip-it add ons. Very precise.
But I can see how the L2/R2 triggers' long travel would also allow good modulation.

As silly as it might sound this was a really big disappointment for me. I've tried other button configurations but have not been able to enjoy them. :boggled:

And here I thought it was me! Could not figure out for the life of me why I couldn't control throttle with X. Now I know! Looks like I'm switching to L2 R2 whether I like it or not, lol.

Right stick for throttle control changed the game for me. You should give it a try.

The stick for throttle and braking has a major disadvantage, you can’t do throttle and brake at the same time (which can be very useful for rally) nor switch over really fast. I really think L2 / R2 is the best way if you can get used to it. Right stick is then to pan the camera around.

Update: after doing half the driving school with x and square last night (and being a die-hard x/[] user since GT1) and worrying that I would never get the hang of it (not knowing holding part throttle with the x button wasn't even possible), I finished the licence school tonight with L2/R2, and i have to say, it's not that hard of an adjustment and I think it will work out fine.

I still agree that it's bogus that the DS4 can't do it, and I think it's a little weird that PD even suggests a layout that doesn't let you drive smoothly, but anyway, if I can adjust, you can too.

Back