One Ring Scam

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 19 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
Is any one else being targeted by this scam?

I have received 2 so far.

One from Latvia(+371) and one from Uganda(+256)

For those that do not know it is a scam that involves international callers ringing you, they hang up after the 1st or 2nd ring, but even if you were to answer it, it costs them nothing.

Most people will call back a missed call to find out what the call was about but being an international phone number or a premium number you get slugged with a huge bill, they will also use tricks like the sound of a ringing line once the line is picked up so you still think no one has answered when in fact they have.

I had one of these but I just ignored it,
I keep getting calls and if I don't know the number I ignore it and use google to see what the number was about if they don't leave a VM.

If they don't leave a VM normally the number is blocked and I wait for another one.

I have received 2 so far.

One from Latvia(+371) and one from Uganda(+256)

For those that do not know it is a scam that involves international callers ringing you, they hang up after the 1st or 2nd ring, but even if you were to answer it, it costs them nothing.

Most people will call back a missed call to find out what the call was about but being an international phone number or a premium number you get slugged with a huge bill, they will also use tricks like the sound of a ringing line once the line is picked up so you still think no one has answered when in fact they have.

Do you not google the number first before dialing it?

Better alternative OP:

I have received 1 so far.

It was from an old man who claimed to be a wizard.

For those that do not know it is a scam that involves carrying a ring to the mouth of a huge volcano in the middle of hell, basically, and just about everything along the way, including the ring, tries to kill you.

Better alternative OP:
For those that do not know it is a scam that involves carrying a ring to the mouth of a huge volcano in the middle of hell, basically, and just about everything along the way, including the ring, tries to kill you.

So basically you're average Australian hiking trip.

Same here, I never answer a number if I don't know who it is. Sometimes an unknown number will call several times a week, eventually they will leave a message if they really need to contact me.

TB
I get a call from a number I don't know, I ignore it and get on with my day. I have never, and will never, feel the need to return a call from a mystery number.

I don't know why more people don't do this.

I hardly get calls that aren't from my wife but if I'm not expecting a call I don't answer the phone at all. It helps that nobody has my number so anyone who calls that isn't my wife is probably telesales.

Since I am job hunting, I answer my phone every time it rings. However, if I miss a call I just whack the number in google. If it is a local number, I do it to see if it is relevant or spam. If it is international, I do it to find out the country of origin and what sort of scam it is.

This creeps me out. A lot of people call me while I'm at work so I have to answer everything, and probably twice a week I get an unknown number with nothing on the other end of the line. :nervous:

Since I am job hunting, I answer my phone every time it rings. However, if I miss a call I just whack the number in google. If it is a local number, I do it to see if it is relevant or spam. If it is international, I do it to find out the country of origin and what sort of scam it is.
I'm also in such a process and I've never heard of this. At the least, I can see where the number is from. I've gotten a few phishing scams texted to me, but they've all been for banks or credit cards I'm not with, and the site for one of them didn't even load.

Where are you getting "most people will call back a missed call"? Most people I know, myself included, won't even answer the phone if it's a number we don't recognize (particularly a non-local number), and if they don't leave a message, it must not have been that important, screw 'em.

This creeps me out. A lot of people call me while I'm at work so I have to answer everything, and probably twice a week I get an unknown number with nothing on the other end of the line. :nervous:

The calls where you hear nothing after you answer are normally tests for telemarketers to see if the number is connected to a person and not a fax.

Where are you getting "most people will call back a missed call"? Most people I know, myself included, won't even answer the phone if it's a number we don't recognize (particularly a non-local number), and if they don't leave a message, it must not have been that important, screw 'em.

People who are job hunting, you are ordered a few items from a reseller, waiting on a call from a business, host of reasons why one would call back.
Heck not even people that i know dont leave a message, heck banks dont.
People dont want to waste their time on voice mail which most people dont even check.

I get a lot of spam calls but never ring them back. If it's not spam and a genuine call, they'll phone back if it's important enough.

800notes.com FTW! :D

Seriously, we get calls all the time at work from out of state. I ignore them and plug the number into that site. Some of the comments in there can be pretty amusing.

I only answer the phone if I recognize the number and if I don't recognize the number but at least know where it's coming from. If I've ever gotten a spam/scam call, I haven't answered it.

Back