Online Anxiety

• Thread starter Zylem
  • 33 comments
A little bit of pre-race anxiety is good, it means the act of racing matters to you, as opposed to the act of driving around a circuit with poorly-driven AI cars and smashing their lap times by 10 seconds. The key is to harness that anxious energy and use it to focus, which is what a lot of the field of sports psychology is about.

I have the same problem, it got so bad that i've only ever done around ten or so races in sport mode, in GT Sport. I suffer from depression and anxiety in real life (am on meds for it and was going to counselling for a while), so i'm not able to deal with the heavily beating heart, nervous sweats and shakiness, so had to give up Sport mode early on.

I can tell you though, that if there were no Driver Ratings and Sportsmanship Ratings in GT, i honestly think i'd have a MUCH easier time and would be able to enter races again.

The problem is that i always try to race the cleanest race possible, even against the AI (i've quit and restarted many races with the AI if i think i messed up too much), so all the stories i've read of people getting dive bombed and other such dirty tactics that actually reduce your own sportsmanship/driver ratings was one of the main reasons i got put off the idea. I can accept penalties if i caused them, but from what i've read other players can still negatively affect your ratings through no fault of your own. So because of that, i don't bother.

In all but two or three Sport mode races i've done i've opted to avoid qualifying so that i can try start at the very back of the grid, then stay there for the whole race (to try avoid dive bombers and dirty drivers, who really up my anxiety levels), unless i'm even then being held up by slower/bad drivers that i think i can get past quickly and cleanly and stay well away from for the rest of the race.

After a handful of races starting from the back though i started wondering why i was bothering, and promptly gave up altogether. Since then i've enjoyed racing the AI while not having to deal with the worst of the GT players out there (and yes, i did get a few trying to take me out in those few races i did).

I know i was only a handful of races into Sport mode, but my anxiety levels weren't decreasing in the slightest, so to reduce the chance of another panic attack i had to stop for my own mental health reasons. :(
Hi mate. Feel free to add myself or Max on PSN. We are in a small group of players of all abilities and hope to setup some lobbies when they get them working properly. Just some casual racing; trust me, no one will care if you make a mistake or take someone out. It’s just a game and there’s bigger things to worry about. I think racing and taking part in something like that could be helpful with your anxiety; it’s low stakes and a good way to race on track with real people.

I have the same problem, it got so bad that i've only ever done around ten or so races in sport mode, in GT Sport. I suffer from depression and anxiety in real life (am on meds for it and was going to counselling for a while), so i'm not able to deal with the heavily beating heart, nervous sweats and shakiness, so had to give up Sport mode early on.

I can tell you though, that if there were no Driver Ratings and Sportsmanship Ratings in GT, i honestly think i'd have a MUCH easier time and would be able to enter races again.

The problem is that i always try to race the cleanest race possible, even against the AI (i've quit and restarted many races with the AI if i think i messed up too much), so all the stories i've read of people getting dive bombed and other such dirty tactics that actually reduce your own sportsmanship/driver ratings was one of the main reasons i got put off the idea. I can accept penalties if i caused them, but from what i've read other players can still negatively affect your ratings through no fault of your own. So because of that, i don't bother.

In all but two or three Sport mode races i've done i've opted to avoid qualifying so that i can try start at the very back of the grid, then stay there for the whole race (to try avoid dive bombers and dirty drivers, who really up my anxiety levels), unless i'm even then being held up by slower/bad drivers that i think i can get past quickly and cleanly and stay well away from for the rest of the race.

After a handful of races starting from the back though i started wondering why i was bothering, and promptly gave up altogether. Since then i've enjoyed racing the AI while not having to deal with the worst of the GT players out there (and yes, i did get a few trying to take me out in those few races i did).

I know i was only a handful of races into Sport mode, but my anxiety levels weren't decreasing in the slightest, so to reduce the chance of another panic attack i had to stop for my own mental health reasons. :(
Try ignore the SR and DR. It really doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. SR is pretty easy to keep too. I've spent 90% of my racing @ S on GTS and 100% at S in GT7. Keeping it clean is not that hard. Yes others can cause you grief but if you are trying to race clean you'll be mostly fine.

Hi mate. Feel free to add myself or Max on PSN. We are in a small group of players of all abilities and hope to setup some lobbies when they get them working properly. Just some casual racing; trust me, no one will care if you make a mistake or take someone out. It’s just a game and there’s bigger things to worry about. I think racing and taking part in something like that could be helpful with your anxiety; it’s low stakes and a good way to race on track with real people.
Absolut this.. we are some nice Players..

Back