Online damage - really is very cool

  • Thread starter Thread starter khooke
  • 19 comments
  • 2,008 views
Messages
64
Messages
powerkiter
Played an online game last night and came off the track, bounced across some rough ground, smashed the barrier, generally gave the car bit of a beating.

The two wheels on the side that took the most damaged look like they got bent out of shape plus I had flats. The car after that point drove like a POS, pulling to one side and took ages to accelerate.

Have to say, this was the first online game damage I've experienced, and I was pretty impressed. Impressed, but annoyed with the guy who drove me off the road :grumpy: If it hadn't been the 'Ring I would have wanted to get back to the pits to get fixed up, but limping round the Ring at 30mph is no fun...
 
I can't wait to try it, but it's unfortunate that cars are still tanks. From what I've seen, 100 mph crashes are survivable. I really hope lower speed crashes aren't toned down.
 
I can't wait to try it, but it's unfortunate that cars are still tanks. From what I've seen, 100 mph crashes are survivable. I really hope lower speed crashes aren't toned down.

Your car will never be totaled. But a crash at 100 mps (online) will definitely cost you a good race result and makes fast driving impossible.

The only lack is the bad collision physics, where your cars do not act like real cars, when they hit each other.
 
Your car will never be totaled. But a crash at 100 mps (online) will definitely cost you a good race result and makes fast driving impossible.

The only lack is the bad collision physics, where your cars do not act like real cars, when they hit each other.

and they sound like someone kicking a wheelie bin when they make contact :yuck:
 
Does your gearbox suffer if you drop down from 6th to 1st?
 
Your car will never be totaled. But a crash at 100 mps (online) will definitely cost you a good race result and makes fast driving impossible.

It's still not the same as grinding your car into nothing though, at least for me. If I take too much risk by going too fast in a corner, I want to suffer for it with a broken car. If I just crack under the pressure and try to do something insane, and it doesn't work out, it should be race over for me. I'll just spectate whoever is left.
 
I can't wait to try it, but it's unfortunate that cars are still tanks. From what I've seen, 100 mph crashes are survivable. I really hope lower speed crashes aren't toned down.

Don't count on Grid like crashes. In Grid you could swear that the river died in some of its crashes :guilty: And watching the replay in slo mo is even worse.

You can blame the misdirection of GT5's production for that. I don't think it was something even considered in the design stage.
 
It's more to do with the fact production cars aren't going let you damage anywhere close to shutdown or invading the cockpit.
 
It's still not the same as grinding your car into nothing though, at least for me. If I take too much risk by going too fast in a corner, I want to suffer for it with a broken car. If I just crack under the pressure and try to do something insane, and it doesn't work out, it should be race over for me. I'll just spectate whoever is left.

I think, it is a good compromise, yet. Now you have to be really careful or the first hit damages your car dramatically (on setting "hard").
But some fixes should be made:

1. total damage
2. not every crash should damage the engine
3. pit stop repair need to take much longer than normal pit stop
4. gear change mistake should damage engine.

But nevertheless it is great to have a so sensitive mech. damage.
 
I really wish slamming my car into a wall at high speed would result in a wreckage, Was really looking forward to struggling around Le Sarthe at night time with broken headlights, following tail lights of other cars to guide me until dawn. Alas, I continue to dream...
 
yes I agree, new meh. damage update is awesome. and I noticed some other changes after a full day maintenance. Now cars damage remains on practise online, and some other good stuff..
 
The only lack is the bad collision physics, where your cars do not act like real cars, when they hit each other.

I actually think this is one area that this is much, much improved over the other GT's. Especially when hitting the back of AI cars. There was a kind of magnetic bouncing in GT1-4. Not anymore.
 
I don't really get the point of it since it's very rare that mechanical damage to suspension and steering does not equal retirement in real racing. I mean, okay, it might deter someone from doing something a bit daft, but as you say - you smashed a barrier, and the car (whilst drivable) was useless.

So it might as well just turn the engine off and move you off the track automatically - this would be more realistic.
 
I really wish slamming my car into a wall at high speed would result in a wreckage, Was really looking forward to struggling around Le Sarthe at night time with broken headlights, following tail lights of other cars to guide me until dawn. Alas, I continue to dream...

If they did implement that, you'd tire of it eventually though and end up driving normally. Unless you are some kind of crash testing junkie. :)
 
I don't really get the point of it since it's very rare that mechanical damage to suspension and steering does not equal retirement in real racing. I mean, okay, it might deter someone from doing something a bit daft, but as you say - you smashed a barrier, and the car (whilst drivable) was useless.

So it might as well just turn the engine off and move you off the track automatically - this would be more realistic.

Realistic, but not conducive to keeping people racing in the online world. It is bad enough people just dropping out of a race because they are a few corners behind, never mind with a complete damage related retirement. I think they balance they have with this isn't bad.
 
I don't really get the point of it since it's very rare that mechanical damage to suspension and steering does not equal retirement in real racing. I mean, okay, it might deter someone from doing something a bit daft, but as you say - you smashed a barrier, and the car (whilst drivable) was useless.

So it might as well just turn the engine off and move you off the track automatically - this would be more realistic.

But that's essentially how it is now, is it? I quit the race because i'm afraid my wheel will break == quit the race because you can't really drive.
 
If they did implement that, you'd tire of it eventually though and end up driving normally. Unless you are some kind of crash testing junkie. :)

Well I wouldn't continually smash my car on purpose. I just mean it'd be nice to know my car would suffer proper realistic damage if I crashed. It would make each race (no matter what level) really intense and exciting from start to finish.
 
But that's essentially how it is now, is it? I quit the race because i'm afraid my wheel will break == quit the race because you can't really drive.
That's pretty much why I think it's a bit pointless. Nobody will enjoy or bother to continue racing with an engine that makes 20bhp, or a chassis that steers right but not left. :)

Plus, I'm afraid I won't really take any suspension damage seriously in GT5 whilst cars are flying over jumps like WRC cars without a care in the world for their road-car suspension.
 
Last edited:
In nearly every PC-sim, it is possible to wreck your car and not continue racing. But that is the thrill of racing in a field (or alone)....racing at the limit and a mistake cost you the race.

I was driving in a community several years and total wreckage was always a feature, you had to live with. But that gave a plus in driving carefully and care about drivers around you.
 
Back