Online Driving Aids?

• Thread starter dickief1
  • 15 comments
DICF1
Hello,

I've been playing Formula 1 games on various Playstation formats since its first incarnation way back in 1996! It is only since purchasing a Playstation3 and Formula 1 Championship Edition have I decided to try racing online.

I consider myself quite a handy online racer and have had no trouble winning a few races and on average finishing on the podium. :sly: But one thing that I've yet to figure out is whether the driving aids on F1CE can be useful online?

I have spoken to some fellow online racers through the games "Chat" function in the race lobby and when this question was put to them most said that they raced with all the driving aids switched on ie Traction Control, Anti-Lock Brakes and "Strong" Stability Control.

I currently race using the analogue controller with manual gears, TC, ABS and "Strong" stability control. But the problem I have is that with the stability control switched on at its higher level my car suffers from a degree of understeer or push when entering slow to medium speed corners. I have yet to try moving the brake bias to the rear of the car to combat this as I'm hoping the swing from the rear will aid me in an earlier apex.

If anyone out there has any pointers towards my dilemma or can tell me what driving aids, if any, are considered beneficial whilst racing online to achieve a faster lap time please reply to this string.

I'm not trying to set the world alight with my lap times as there are alot quicker guys out there than me!

dickief1 :dunce:

Well, a simple fact of most driving games is that almost all driving aids except ABS actually slow you down and don't really help the new drivers either (as they take away all feeling of the car's behaviour, thus stopping new drivers learning as much as they possibly could have and giving a strange idea of car control).
But, here we have a game based around cars which used TCS (traction control) in real life and so for a true realistic experience, TCS is advised as the cars were designed to use it (it wasn't until the 2008 season that TCS was banned).

I think for the fastest laptimes, taking all aids off is the only way, however, ABS is more often than not better than a player's reaction (although its debatable) and TCS does help with keeping consistent (as its rather difficult to control so much horsepower with so little pressure with the controller).

As far as I'm concerned, ASM (stability control) is never useful and takes away too much control from the car to make it useful in any scenario.

All my opinion though, it varies from driver to driver what setup is the fastest and not to mention it also depends on track layout and weather conditions too. The main thing is to practice, practice, practice. Try different setups at a track you know well, first lay down a time with your current favoured setup then try out different aid setups to see if you can beat the time (or at least match it at a comfortable, stable pace).

I completely agree with Ardius. Like you, I use the controller as I don't have a wheel, so your best bet is to try out different setups. I'm not quite sure what you meant by shifting the brake bias to the rear of the car, but I use the bb on 1, don't know what position that puts it in though XD lol; and use tc2, because tc1 is very unstable during acceleration.

I haven't tampered with the stability control or the anti-lock brakes, but I may try changing them to see if it does improve my time or not.

Cheers Guys!

I have a bad habit of trying to do the same as everyone else rather than what I feel is best for me! Thinking about it I've won most of my races with the stability control switched off!!! Though online I do find the ABS helps, stops the rear of the car coming round on me under heavy braking.

Thanks again for your comments, can't wait to see Codemasters latest version of a Formula 1 game, due out next year I believe. If their DIRT or GRID series are anything to go by it should be a cracker!

Bye for now,

dickief1

ps. Driving aids on GRID online are an entirely different matter altogether!

Well, they might, but the new game doesn't come out for another year, so why would they shut it down now?...Simple answer: They wouldn't.

The game still sees decent use online so I don't see why Sony would feel the need to pull down the server unless the number of players dropped. F1 09 may well be a load of rubbish, so its not a done deal that we will see online support for this game go so quickly.

Well, F1 2009 is coming out soon, and the 2010 game is not very far behind it. Wouldn't they get some sort of cease and desist order from codemasters?

Well, F1 2009 is coming out soon, and the 2010 game is not very far behind it. Wouldn't they get some sort of cease and desist order from codemasters?

No, why? They have a license to create new games, not a license to have the only game online new or old.

Well, ok. I'm going to get this game, but I can only get the US version, does it have online?

No the US (NTSC) servers were shut down because there wasn't much activity on them. If you really want to go online, i'm sure you could find a PAL copy on eBay somewhere.

Is there at least an online time trial still up? If not, then i'll have to get the PAL copy. Can someone help me find a PAL copy that can ship to US locations?

Is there at least an online time trial still up? If not, then i'll have to get the PAL copy. Can someone help me find a PAL copy that can ship to US locations?

if you have an eBay account or know someone who does then you can get it from a UK dealer. That's how I got mine. You will have to shop around as they are still bringing a good price for sellers. I paid around $40.00 (US) including shipping. A little steep for a 3 year old game but it is a lot of fun.

Back