ONLINE: Filling empty grid spots with AI option

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 24 comments
Italy
Italy
karsten_beoulve
Dear Yamauchi-san,

Would an option that fills empty grid spots with a selection of the same cars the human drivers have could be possible to implement? Many of us that race in online endurance would love to have a bit more action on the track and this could be an "easy" thing to implement.

Domo arigatou :)

It can make things a little more lively in those long endurance races online, and the ai can be fast ad show in hardest level of arcade difficulty... In any case a new optional can't hurt.

The challenge of navigating snail-paced AI whilst would be an effective way break up the monotony of endurance racing with below 10 car grids. I don't think anybody's kidding themselves and thinking that they'll actually be involved in the race.

As I said, then it won't actually be good, in the same way that being stuck behind a tractor on your way to work or having people randomly pulling out in front of you breaks up the monotony of your commute.

As I said, then it won't actually be good, in the same way that being stuck behind a tractor on your way to work or having people randomly pulling out in front of you breaks up the monotony of your commute.

Real endurance races generally have far more cars than GT6 allows so at least filling the sixteen limit helps to create a real race atmosphere, and in real endurance races drivers do get held up by slower cars, ovetaking ability is an important aspect of endurance racing after all.

I agree with the option to add AI drivers online, F1 games & Forza have that, but the AI would need improvement and an option to adjust AI difficulty so that it somewhat matches the skill level of the players in the lobby.

Dear Yamauchi-san,

Would an option that fills empty grid spots with a selection of the same cars the human drivers have could be possible to implement? Many of us that race in online endurance would love to have a bit more action on the track and this could be an "easy" thing to implement.

Domo arigatou :)

I would suggest you get a copy of Code Masters F1 2012 and try this concept before you ask for it. The AI is as bad in that game as GT6 and as such is hopeless. I destroys online racing and is the main reason why I stopped playing that game.

The AI would have to improve by several magnitudes before I would ever agree that this is a good idea.

DO NOT ask for a game breaker like this! Human idiots are bad enough smashing you off the track without mindless AI adding to the mayhem as well.

For PS4 this may be an option, but the PS3 is probably at it's limit just doing what it's doing now, without also having to manage the AI. If they can make the AI competitive next time around, this is something I'd consider in any race online.

I would suggest you get a copy of Code Masters F1 2012 and try this concept before you ask for it. The AI is as bad in that game as GT6 and as such is hopeless. I destroys online racing and is the main reason why I stopped playing that game.

The AI would have to improve by several magnitudes before I would ever agree that this is a good idea.

DO NOT ask for a game breaker like this! Human idiots are bad enough smashing you off the track without mindless AI adding to the mayhem as well.
We're talking options here.
You'd still have the option to race against human players only while others would have the option to fill remaining slots with AI drivers and choose the car & adjust difficulty level for each AI opponent.
PD could also bring back the option to turn collisions off, which could be helpful against bad AI, bad players, and laggy connections.

F1 sets a stupidly paced race though. And I also think you're greatly exaggerating how bad the A.I. is in GT6. I've raced against the bots in the IA-Class races a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides, if the PS3 only had to manage a few bots, they might actually race better.

F1 sets a stupidly paced race though. And I also think you're greatly exaggerating how bad the A.I. is in GT6. I've raced against the bots in the IA-Class races a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Besides, if the PS3 only had to manage a few bots, they might actually race better.
You thoroughly enjoyed it =/= good AI, unless the other 99% of GT players are wrong of course.

@Johnnypenso .... I may not be a bad driver, but I'm not an alien by any means. I came in second for the Willow seasonal, and 10th for the Suzuka..... (Admittedly, on my first try, and not pushing extremely hard.) Exactly WHAT are you saying when I say the AI is too difficult?

THIS is PRECISELY the reason I want 5 levels of play. So the alien twerps who think GOD must drive the AI can have their cake and eat it, too, and I can enjoy a good, challenging race without dying for last place!

I think your 99% is a little skewed....

I think so too, just a scouche. ;)

Besides, if human drivers ramming you off the road is the demarcation of a horrible race, the bot behavior is way below that. They can be testy, they can brake too hard too early in turns, they can be slow and give up much too easily. But I've been abused much worse by people online. Which is the reason I don't race much online.

Frankly, I'll take GT6's bots as they are, than half the racers online.

@Johnnypenso .... I may not be a bad driver, but I'm not an alien by any means. I came in second for the Willow seasonal, and 10th for the Suzuka..... (Admittedly, on my first try, and not pushing extremely hard.) Exactly WHAT are you saying when I say the AI is too difficult?

THIS is PRECISELY the reason I want 5 levels of play. So the alien twerps who think GOD must drive the AI can have their cake and eat it, too, and I can enjoy a good, challenging race without dying for last place!

I think your 99% is a little skewed....
1 race with challenging AI =/= good AI in the game as a whole.
I think so too, just a scouche. ;)

Besides, if human drivers ramming you off the road is the demarcation of a horrible race, the bot behavior is way below that. They can be testy, they can brake too hard too early in turns, they can be slow and give up much too easily. But I've been abused much worse by people online. Which is the reason I don't race much online.

Frankly, I'll take GT6's bots as they are, than half the racers online.
You're right, I don't know how I missed this all these years. PD gives us no driver rating system, no community features, no online licensing system, no filters for driver skill or safety rating and online is a crapshoot as a result, therefore the generally horrible AI are a better alternative. I don't know how I could have been so wrong these last 3.5 years.

Okay, I'll give you that they haven't worked up to a truly amazing system. However, they HAVE improved somewhat, and I have had some good races with them in other offline portions.

I still think you are looking for perfection when that isn't realistic. But, I do say they are working on it.

And, if however many people are doing fine (relatively... ;) ) with the AI, you are definitely looking for more than the "normal" PD is aiming at.

Okay, I'll give you that they haven't worked up to a truly amazing system. However, they HAVE improved somewhat, and I have had some good races with them in other offline portions.

I still think you are looking for perfection when that isn't realistic. But, I do say they are working on it.

And, if however many people are doing fine (relatively... ;) ) with the AI, you are definitely looking for more than the "normal" PD is aiming at.
It doesn't matter what they do with that AI, or how good or bad they are, if it's one-size-fits-all. There is no "one-size" when it comes to driver skill in a virtual racing/driving game. The fact that some of them are challenging once in a blue moon is a purely random match of their programming and your skill level.

You're right, I don't know how I missed this all these years. PD gives us no driver rating system, no community features, no online licensing system, no filters for driver skill or safety rating and online is a crapshoot as a result, therefore the generally horrible AI are a better alternative. I don't know how I could have been so wrong these last 3.5 years.
You're such a peach, completely ignoring what I said. ;)

Back