Online - Is it bad driving or just ramming.

• Thread starter ChrisWAFC
  • 23 comments
England
Wigan
ChrisWAFC
Started to be able to play online more and more over the weekend but it so annoying that there is nothing in place to stop people from ramming you off the road and spinning your car. A bit of a slow down for them is nothing and with out breaking are still able to get round the corner faster.

When using a wheel and manual gears it's not that easy to get right again and that's it my race is as good as over.

GT5 worked this well where if the car was too fast it went through your car and crashed into the wall or barrier and that way not able to ruin your race.

What's your thoughts and experience online with this ?

Your experience with online races pretty much sums up my experience with every single online racing game I ever played.

Those who ram others are used to play offline, where the other drivers don't fight back and are nothing but moving chicanes.

Yeah, I don't do online racing much, due to 'that crowd' - by that I mean the ones who seem to flock to new games and stay for a month or two, or until bored. Like Deko Wolf says too, there will always be the SP crowd who aren't used to having to consider other players and will smash their way on through any obstacle, or use others as braking aids at corners.

I put up a vid of an online race last week, primarily because I was able to use that selfsame tactic on a bad online player (and it felt GOOD :mischievous:) If you look at that vid though, you'l see others passing players and then forcing them to crash. It's like they are eliminating all potential threats, regardless.

So, you're right Chris, online could do with a broader penalty system, with changes that will discourage those types. I suppose that sort of stuff is on the back burner though until online connectivity is at full strength.

I suppose that'll be a priority though, as online is one of the major features of the game. Did anyone ever play the Motorstorm games online, how were they by comparison?

Did anyone ever play the Motorstorm games online, how were they by comparison?

Pretty much the same I guess. Last time the studio worked with licensed cars was in WRC Rally Evolved. Although a PS2 game, it did have some online features. Never had the chance to experience it myself, but for what I've gathered there wasn't any penalty system.

Their last Motorstorm title, Apocalypse, was pretty much the same. You could make contact with other players and it wouldn't affect you one bit. The biggest threat was those driving big trucks could easily run over (literally) those riding a dirt bike. You could also ran other players against obstacles or beyond track areas very easily as there isn't much "weight" difference between each vehicle.

But what really put me off that last game was the difference between single, and multiplayer. It's like night and day. Although both modes offer the same cars and challenges, you'd have to do them separately to unlock the next car, and then work with that car to unlock parts for it.
After all the effort you just put in that one car offline, you're forced to do it all over again.

Last edited:
I hope they sort something out as I'm loving the game and at the moment just replaying different events using different cars.

They should make a penalty system like in gt6. It works well. Bad drivers go transparent more time than not. This allows for some great racing for those who can actually drive.
Yesterday I was making a brilliant pass on the final straight, and in the last 100 feet or so, the driver I was passing nudged into me, steadily rotating me, so as we passed the finish line, I was sideways, and he was a full car length ahead. Utter rage. And yet, from here on, I made it a point to turn back on the driver names display, so that if this happens during a race, I will enact swift and merciless vengeance on those who think driveclub is bumper cars. And man oh man is it fun to put someone sideways after they diliberately take me out. ( and I know the difference between bad driving and just plain being an asshole). Despite it being fun once in a while to get revenge, Driveclub's lack of consistent penalty system is a huge drawback for me, and ultimately may spoil any chances of this game becoming a regular visit for online racing. Them graphics is sure pretty though.

Last edited:
Since Driveclub is an arcade racer, you should expect ramming and beginner drivers; everyone has to start somewhere I guess.

Jerome

I actually had a full-on clean race today...so not everyone online is being a punnet 👍

Regardless of what everyone is saying, this server issue might do some good. Eventually these kind of players will get tiered of the game and drop out. Filtering only the true players who are more understandable of the situation, and in the process, became better drivers themselves.

I've only done about 20 races online and every one was a wreck fest. i want the setting dirt 2 had almost like a ghost car. were they can't hit you. it separates the boys from the men or the dirty from clean drivers they can't use you car for there brakes in the corners. or for no reason turn into you into on the strait.

I expect some ramming in all public online games so I expect some contact in the corners. However, the number of people who have tried to spin me out on a straight in this game is unbelievable. Completely ruins the fun.

There's been a few online racers were barging made the game a helluva lot more fun and exciting. SEGA Rally and Ridge Racer 7 come to mind because they didn't just kill your speed as soon as you touched another player and because they were heavily drift based games it was always fair play to give each other little dunts when going round corners. Problem with ramming in DC is that it seems(bear in mind I havent played my copy yet) that because it's got a bit of 'simcade' about it that it doesn't allow for 'crazy' driving so people bumping and ramming online are just doing so to try and ruin the online mode. It's really frustrating I'm sure but maybe Evolution is working on some sort of fix.

Good news: Online has really improved with wednesdays patch. Team racing is back and more variety. Also call me crazy, but in team races I seem to see more cars ghosted when they did stupid things and plow into you or spin out right into your way. Still you can be rammed and slammed into the wall, but it wasnt as bad as last time I tried it.

Lots of ramming, lots of poor driving, but if you have half a brain and drive moderately well (and chances are you do because you're on GTPlanet and care about that sort of thing) you should be able to dodge some of that and finish highly, and maybe even get a few good battles in too.

True indeed, hang back a bit and let the others batter each other about for the first few corners and nip in past 'em.

True indeed, hang back a bit and let the others batter each other about for the first few corners and nip in past 'em.

Or hang up front, get some distance from the pack, and win the race. Of course, that is easier said than done.

I would like to point your attention to this video everyone. This was my very first race on the game. Judge my driving if you wish, because that was one heck of a race for me. My heart was jumping out of my mouth, hands sweating, senses raising. It was intense. I picked the car that I am most comfortable with. As for the track, I only ran it twice on the opposite direction. Please watch the video from beginning to end. Once you're done watching, click the spoiler and tell me how you react to that.

tumblr_ne0momsvIO1rnees9o1_500.jpg

I am dissapointed about the punishing-system. Those Maniacs are "rewarded" after ramming you. They should get transparent after Ramming and should continue the race as ghosts (no contact, no place, no points...).

I wouldn't worry about, it, the replay shows no evidence of a collision and you were in the pole position from the offset with a very smooth line throughout...so no indication of an invisible opponent or anything.

It was just sour grapes as I saw his positional marker drop back a few times, or perhaps he just meant it for another player and got 'confused'. I'm guessing the red highlighting on those few players is some kind of penalty marker, as number three was definitely red...and two of those chasing after you, their positional markers were also red.

Good driving by the way Captain :)

I wouldn't worry about, it, the replay shows no evidence of a collision and you were in the pole position from the offset with a very smooth line throughout...so no indication of an invisible opponent or anything.

It was just sour grapes as I saw his positional marker drop back a few times, or perhaps he just meant it for another player and got 'confused'.

This is the reason why I stay away from online games. This attitude of people that makes them think they have the privilege of talk down to people they don't even know the names of. I mean, yeah Destiny looks like an amazing game. But do I really want to pay 60 of my money to spend endless hours getting this kind of abuse? No thanks.

I'm guessing the red highlighting on those few players is some kind of penalty marker, as number three was definitely red...and two of those chasing after you, their positional markers were also red.

I believe it was a team race. I was on Blue team.

Good driving by the way Captain :)

Thank you. :cheers: I am capable of running a smooth race when no one bothers me or rams my car.

Majority of my experience is about 1/4 players that are legitimately bad drivers, which doesn't bother me at all. Then about 1/4 are good and clean and out in front. If I can manage to break through the middle half past the chaos, my races are extremely enjoyable. Here is my 15 second summary of the majority of races though:

Aside from ramming, they also use the old wall riding. Top of the leaderboards are filled with cheated times.
I've seen a time of 8 seconds for the Pro level trophy races, all of them together...I do hope that wallriding gets 'discouraged' at some point though.

I think time penalties for out-of track excursions and hitting objects might make 'em race cleanly, certainly in the TTs.

Back