Online physics different than offline physics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Snakebitten
  • 17 comments
  • 2,972 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
743
United States
USA
First off Im a noob to Online racing. I just tried the Online mode for the first time today. Bout 5 hours of fun for the most part. However Ive steadily noticed that my cars behavior is seriously different Online than it is Offline. Same car, same tune, same "off" settings on srf, asm, etc. Only 2 on Traction and 1 on ABS. In other words its untouched from its Offline settings.

Im using various cars from RE Amemiya RX7 to Spirit R RX7 to 370z. All drive beautifully Offline, like they are on rails. Really stuck to the track even around tight turns like on Tsukuba.

Now when I race them Online its like they have glass tires. No where near the grip they have when I use them off line. They always want to spin out for the least little thing. I cant get the same lap times as I do Offline. And this is with me alone practicing before anyone joins the race. I flipped back and forth between Offline and Online racing with the various cars and the difference is so noticeable that Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see it.

Has anyone else noticed this??? BTW Im a pretty good driver. If this has been covered already I apologize in advance.
 
Have you fitted race tires to the car? Because some online rooms require sports tires and they are automatically changed when you enter the track.

but I have noticed this in an opposite effect. My car handles better online than offline. I usually get better lap times online than in practice mode
 
I have noticed the same thing. My Clio V6 is a sub 300 hp monster in A and B spec races, but as soon as i go online with my friends in private or online lobbies, it understeers and losses traction all the time. I have written all the setting and the tires I use, and online/offline is like it's using an even more extensive physics system. I have a few pages of settings written down for online and offline races because it really does change things up. The main thing I always have to change every time is the LSD. I think that and grip have different values online.
 
Yeah all the rooms I entered had no tire restrictions so I always used Racing Softs. This is puzzling to me. Like I mentioned before the cars are exactly the way they are when I race them Offline so its puzzling to me that they turn into Drift machines only when I use them Online. It actually started to irritate me so I left off racing lol. I won quite a few clean races with them but man it wasnt all fun. Dont know why a GT300 RE Amemiya RX7 with Racing Softs and full downforce and only 305hp turns into F&F Tokyo Drift when I race it Online. Funny that you have the opposite feeling Online vs Offline...
 
I have noticed the same thing. My Clio V6 is a sub 300 hp monster in A and B spec races, but as soon as i go online with my friends in private or online lobbies, it understeers and losses traction all the time. I have written all the setting and the tires I use, and online/offline is like it's using an even more extensive physics system. I have a few pages of settings written down for online and offline races because it really does change things up. The main thing I always have to change every time is the LSD. I think that and grip have different values online.

I knew I couldnt be the only one that noticed this. Its waaay too obvious. Its a drastically different driving experience Online/Offline when it shouldnt be since your cars have the same settings. I think PD did some kind of tweaking to the Online setup that renders the Offline settings useless. I dont like the Online driving changes but I guess there is nothing we can do about it. It is still fun at times but its frustrating trying to get a car that you spent so much time tuning to perfection Offline to drive the same way Online.
 
Several threads on this topic. Online physics feel different because of tire wear and fuel consumption. Kaz even confirmed this somewhere, but I can't find the link.
 
I knew I couldnt be the only one that noticed this. Its waaay too obvious. Its a drastically different driving experience Online/Offline when it shouldnt be since your cars have the same settings. I think PD did some kind of tweaking to the Online setup that renders the Offline settings useless. I dont like the Online driving changes but I guess there is nothing we can do about it. It is still fun at times but its frustrating trying to get a car that you spent so much time tuning to perfection Offline to drive the same way Online.
It is frustrating when I build a car that grips the road tighter than a tick, and I go to challenge my friends and I wind up backwards, in a wall, in a plume of smoke. Or my AWD car with the understeer completely eliminated goes straight when I turn. But it is great that any car I get into is instantly drifting, because after we realize we can't race, it always devolves into drifting.
 
Also, it seems easier to roll over a cat car online.

EDIT : lol I can see how my typo was funny.

the R and T are so close on my keyboard.
 
Last edited:
And that is why you should take your cars to your private lobby, test it and tune it from there.
Also it's easier to switch cars during online.
 
Several threads on this topic. Online physics feel different because of tire wear and fuel consumption. Kaz even confirmed this somewhere, but I can't find the link.

Thanks for that info but its apparent even from the first lap where tire wear or fuel consumption isn't a factor yet. The cars don't feel as sure or nimble as they do offline. Id be happy if tire wear and fuel consumption Kaz spoke of actually happened as the laps increased but not from practice pit lap 1.

Don't want this to turn into a "hate" thread but imho its obvious there is some engineered in "tweaks" to online racing. I don't buy the tire wear/fuel consumption Kaz is talking about as its happening as soon as you get control of your car from the pit or at the starting line.

Also your car spins out ridiculously easier online. Even a weak powered car is a full on drifter lol. You don't even have to be on the gas for it to spin out. Really feels like you are driving on a glass tire. Its a different sensation that Ill have to get used to I guess. Nothing beats a bunch of clean racers though even with the weird online car physics.
 
Thanks for that info but its apparent even from the first lap where tire wear or fuel consumption isn't a factor yet. The cars don't feel as sure or nimble as they do offline. Id be happy if tire wear and fuel consumption Kaz spoke of actually happened as the laps increased but not from practice pit lap 1.

Don't want this to turn into a "hate" thread but imho its obvious there is some engineered in "tweaks" to online racing. I don't buy the tire wear/fuel consumption Kaz is talking about as its happening as soon as you get control of your car from the pit or at the starting line.

Also your car spins out ridiculously easier online. Even a weak powered car is a full on drifter lol. You don't even have to be on the gas for it to spin out. Really feels like you are driving on a glass tire. Its a different sensation that Ill have to get used to I guess. Nothing beats a bunch of clean racers though even with the weird online car physics.

Well, fuel is more of a factor at first as your riding with a full tank. Also, they need to allow us to be able to turn fuel consumption/tire wear on and off both online and offline.
 
It wouldn't be so bad if they had user save settings for vehicle setups, ie Impreza rally car dirt settings, track settings, customer user setting 3, etc..

I don't go online often just because of the drastic difference in vehicle handling. I'm not on much to begin with so there's no point in constantly changing back and forth between settings nor is it feasible to buy multiple vehicles and have one setup for each type of game play.
 
Nope, not for any problems i encountered with. It just LAG that makes the different between winning & losing
 
Thanks for that info but its apparent even from the first lap where tire wear or fuel consumption isn't a factor yet. The cars don't feel as sure or nimble as they do offline. Id be happy if tire wear and fuel consumption Kaz spoke of actually happened as the laps increased but not from practice pit lap 1.

Don't want this to turn into a "hate" thread but imho its obvious there is some engineered in "tweaks" to online racing. I don't buy the tire wear/fuel consumption Kaz is talking about as its happening as soon as you get control of your car from the pit or at the starting line.

Also your car spins out ridiculously easier online. Even a weak powered car is a full on drifter lol. You don't even have to be on the gas for it to spin out. Really feels like you are driving on a glass tire. Its a different sensation that Ill have to get used to I guess. Nothing beats a bunch of clean racers though even with the weird online car physics.

Yeah... there's probably more to it. I don't play online with GT5 though, so who knows.

Which sucks...because I usually enjoy playing online with other racing games. GT5 online still isn't even close to what other games have achieved, regardless of what the fanboys say. :)
 
Yea when you bump into a car online, the cars seem to glitch out and move weirdly
 
Several threads on this topic. Online physics feel different because of tire wear and fuel consumption. Kaz even confirmed this somewhere, but I can't find the link.

This.

This isn't the first thread on the topic.

Sorry. Locked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back