Online Races Fuel confusion

  • Thread starter Thread starter alonsof1fan91
  • 9 comments
  • 820 views
Messages
1,137
I used the search function and didn`t find anything, about what Im going to ask for, so I hope nobody gets angry by reading this thread.

Its about fuel in online races.

Following problem:
Last week, I raced against somebody at LeMans (09 layout, 700PP, same car, but mine was a stock 908 and his was tuned with turbocharger). The settings were this: No tire wear/fuel consumption and realistic track surface. He was doing consistent 3:21 lap times while I barely managed to get below 3:27.
Ok, so I started practising with the 908 in arcade mode/time trial. After some hours, I was able to do 3:23 lap times (with same race settings).
Now things get worse, I raced again with him in his lobby and he turned tire wear on. No matter what I did, I was 5 seconds slower then usual (only 3:28). Even after 5 Races (we make 5-10 lap races) I couldnt match my times from arcade mode. I don`t know why, It felt much faster, I know that I learned a lot during this and became a better driver... but I was so much slower! Then I realized that fuel consumption was on, so.. does it makes me slower in online races when I turn this on? Does it makes my car heavier? I always thought that no matter what settings you use, you will always start the race with max fuel :?
 
Fuel isnt the problem, it has no weight, the tire wear is causing you to lose grip and go slower.
 
Really? good to know. Gonna test it without tire wear again.

I often do short a-spec enduros and I always set my best times on low fuel + new tires, so I thought fuel influences lap times :sick:
 
Practicing in arcade and even offline are a problem as well. For whatever reason, online racing is a touch slower due to a lack of grip compared to A-spec, seasonals, etc.
 
Fuel does indeed have weight but only till about 75%, once you have about 75 litres or less you'll go faster. Also, the physics are different between online and offline...
 
I think you are right. I also did some testing runs with my R10. In arcade mode, I can do several fast laps without any mistakes but online I never manage to get lap without loosing the rear, sliding or destroying rear tires with wheelspin.
 
Yes there is less grip online, which is why you need to tune and practice online for online races.
 
Fuel does indeed have weight. Which is used as a strategy to keep the car lighter. Tire wear is real in GT5 although I think the calculations are off. It's been said (I believe it) that wear & grip & physics are slightly different online then in Career mode and Arcade.
 
Ok, I did some test runs with the R10 today, here my summary:

Arcade mode, time trial, LeMans 09 (without day/night change): 3:23.152 (Without tire wear)
Online free rund, LeMans, LeMans 09 (without day/night change): 3:23.988 (without tire wear)

Ok, I think the differences between online and offline are marginal, I could have done better with another attempt. But the car itself felt a bit different, It somehow didn`t liked direction changes (same tuning) and the traction was a bit worse.

Well, after those two tests, I did another one. Online free run, same track, but with tire wear on.
Now the strange results: I could have done the same lap time eventhough tire wear and fuel consumption was on (I didn`t get a perfect lap together, my best attempt was 3:24.7, but my sector times were almost identical except the corners I made minor mistakes).

Then another theory come to my mind: Is there a difference between the normal Circuit de la sarthe 09 and the one with day night change? Because I always online races on the latter one, maybe thats the reason why I was so several seconds off the pace from my arcade mode times.
 
I have noticed when driving, the car does react differently with less fuel than a full tank. PD have done really good with getting it mostly right.
 
Back