Online racing question

  • Thread starter Thread starter bongoplyr
  • 17 comments
  • 1,156 views
Messages
199
United States
Maryland
Messages
eventhorizon23
Participated in only my second online race and am under no illusions about my abilities. Try not to finish last and don't get lapped. But in a same make, stock tires race with no tuning allowed, how is it that on straights I'm getting blown away when I have my pedal to the floor? I know I have a lot to learn, so I'm sure this is the first of many questions.
 
A straight always follows a corner, they likely are taking the corners faster than you and getting on the gas faster resulting in reaching their top speed faster than you. It really can make a massive difference.
Also maybe you're shifting early/late? If you're using Auto, then you are shifting early.
And finally draft opponents to go faster on straights
 
They probably got a better exit to the corner, and are now drafting you.
 
Thanks, Owen. Yes, using Auto, and I suspected what you mentioned about the corners, but the acceleration seemed so pronounced, I thought maybe I missed something obvious. Back to the practice track.
 
Thanks, Owen. Yes, using Auto, and I suspected what you mentioned about the corners, but the acceleration seemed so pronounced, I thought maybe I missed something obvious. Back to the practice track.

Unfortunately, using auto combined with a slower corner exit is going to seriously result in a slower lap time.

- Auto tends to shift way before the top of the power band so if you really want to speed up and become more competitive, you're going to have to learn manual.
Its tricky at first but once you master it, you'll be quicker and you'll learn more car control
 
Was catch up or boost turned on? Isn't there an option like that to allow the car behind to gain an easy advantage?
 
To the OP, @bongoplyr. I hope you had a good time tonight in my room tonight. You weren't too bad, at least you made an effort to not crash into people. So many people new to online don't.

I'm sure you have seen all of the smack talk around here about slower street cars and RS tires. I just ignore it. I like to race the way I like to race, and so do my friends. Why race with crappy equipment, when you can afford the best?

My room is there every night you're always welcome. (see signature)
 
To the OP, @bongoplyr. I hope you had a good time tonight in my room tonight. You weren't too bad, at least you made an effort to not crash into people. So many people new to online don't.

I'm sure you have seen all of the smack talk around here about slower street cars and RS tires. I just ignore it. I like to race the way I like to race, and so do my friends. Why race with crappy equipment, when you can afford the best?

My room is there every night you're always welcome. (see signature)
Thanks, Chrunch. I didn't have a lot of time or else I would have stayed longer. I like the slower cars and agree with you about the tires; why not. I've been getting my online feet wet over the past few months and the challenge I face is being a bit too timid for fear of sending someone off the track. I'm working on my 400pp cars and hope to see you on the track soon.
 
bongoplyr, i feel the same. I actually have a same thread talking about this. I learn that some might say the exit speed or cornering slowness creates this. This can be part of it.

Another part I'm talking about pure straight from the very start of the race. They just pull away. Another instance is that both cars running on the same straight (in the middle of the road for a few seconds) with the same speed (like a running drag race) and they just pull away. What I figure out is that it has something to do with the transmission tuning. I tried using a tune from praiano especially on the transmission tune and darn, it helps me improve running the same track with 1-5 seconds faster. So try that.

I wonder anyone makes room for STOCK cars with no tuning to race for fun? Or someone who host races for beginners who don't have much experience racing online?
 
A proper tune is a combination of all the tunable pieces working together as well as the driver skill level. A great tune for a beginner will have shortcomings months later when your skill level is much improved.

A perfect gear ratio for exit onto the longest full throttle stretch will be notably short months after it was arrived at due to your finding a way to exit at a greater speed than before. Tracks with significant elevation change will benefit from a proper transmission tune more than a flat track in general, there will be a benefit in both instances though.
 
Thanks, Chrunch. I didn't have a lot of time or else I would have stayed longer. I like the slower cars and agree with you about the tires; why not. I've been getting my online feet wet over the past few months and the challenge I face is being a bit too timid for fear of sending someone off the track. I'm working on my 400pp cars and hope to see you on the track soon.
I wish more people were that way.
Was running a race on apricot hill and on turn 2 me and one guy were running side by side into it and trying to give each other space to not collide. Some dope behind thought that space between us that could fit 80% of a car was good enough for him. Wedged himself in between hitting us both. Preceded to run me off the inside of the turn ... I decided to nudge back a little to ease my car back on the track and the guy on the outside yelled at me for bumping the middle guy into him.
Good to see racers with some brains and etiquette.
 
Do you guys have any clean race for fun for stock street car around 300-550 PP? Most of the online rooms I have been too with strangers are complete a** who just use other cars as braking aid.
 
Do you guys have any clean race for fun for stock street car around 300-550 PP? Most of the online rooms I have been too with strangers are complete a** who just use other cars as braking aid.
Chrunch Houston usually has a room in the evening that fits this requirement. He seems to usually run around 425pp, and while I'm generally one of the slower guys, I'm not alone in the back. I think he calls it Street Legal Aids OK.
 
Do you guys have any clean race for fun for stock street car around 300-550 PP? Most of the online rooms I have been too with strangers are complete a** who just use other cars as braking aid.
There are sometimes a room or two like that, but not many. There's a guy in France who hosts one regularly, goes by ZikZak I think. He's very good and tries hard to speak english and he's very polite as well. He uses the recommended garage cars too, and usually has tires appropriate to the PP.
 
I wonder anyone makes room for STOCK cars with no tuning to race for fun? Or someone who host races for beginners who don't have much experience racing online?

We welcome people who are online novices and usually have one race in the programme for unturned cars - at the moment we are running the Senna WSR, F3 car unturned. We also welcome experienced racers as well.

For more information click on the link in my signature.

For people finding that drivers in stock cars are beating them I suggest saving the race replay and then watch parts of the race (maybe particular corners) from onboard faster drivers cars to see what racing line they follow - I normally find that faster drivers than me are better at using the full width of the track so that they can brake later and get on the gas earlier. When I try to follow expert drivers lines I normally struggle with that fine line of being at the very edge of the track without losing control.
 
Much is said regarding quick reaction time as a needed asset for good race driving & I agree. I will also state here, the truly fast drivers also train themselves to NOT react ie. panic as they sense the potential to over shoot on exit thus over steering, lifting, or braking as the track edge approaches at a frightening speed. For if the plan was correct then the car will just avoid catastrophe at the edge of the track and superb speed will be your reward down the stretch. Self preservation is a sense developed through blood & tears as well as an instinct, thus not easily put aside under stress.

It is a bit easier to deal with in GT6 than IRL, say on the track at Mid Ohio, my hat is off to all real life drivers that master that level of self control.
 
I was trying to establish a racing series that on-line friends could join rooms and have fun either racing tuning or just cruz various courses. I wanted to introduce LMGT racing. Then I found it impossible to accurately identify what the game considers LMGT cars.

By he way, we run stock sports car rooms as well as single make races and various race cars such as LMP & GT3.
We also run 450PP and comfort soft rooms, everyday cars, street racers and even endurance races when everyone has the time.

We welcome everyone and ask only that rules (car selection) and respect are adhered to. In other words, A-holes will be kicked without a second thought. We like to have fun driving cars enjoying mostly real world courses.

Because of some issues with Grand Turismo car categories, we sometimes have to run rooms no restriction of car modifications. So we have to trust that that each racer is using the specs published prior to the room opening.

After searching GT Planet for answers I found the following list of LMGT cars. Hopefully friends will view this post and be able to find/buy these cars so that we can hold LMGT events.

P BMW M3 GT (BMW Motorsport) ’11

P BMW M3 GT2 Base Model ’11

http://www.racingsportscars.com/suffix/archive/BMW/M3 E92/GT.html


P Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car

S Ford GT LM Race Car Spec II

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers...011_combined_classification_free_practice.pdf


P McLaren F1 GTR – BMW (Kokusai Kaihatsu UK Racing) ’95

P McLaren F1 GTR Race Car Base Model ’95

S BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1995/Le_Mans-1995-06-18-024.jpg


P Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) LM Race Car '09

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers...011_combined_classification_free_practice.pdf


S BMW M3 GTR Race Car ‘01

http://www.americanlemans.com/files/results/2001/2001_01texas.pdf


S Chevrolet Corvette C5R ´00

http://www.americanlemans.com/files/results/2003/2003_02AtlantaOfficialResults.pdf


S Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 '00

S Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51 '00

http://www.americanlemans.com/files/results/2002/2002_01sebringalmsresults.pdf


S Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Sebring-1999-03-21.html


S Pagani Zonda LM Race Car

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/photo/Pagani/Zonda.html


S Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Race Car (The KENWOOD Car)

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1995/Le_Mans-1995-06-18-046.jpg


S Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1995/Le_Mans-1995-06-18-057.jpg


S Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car ‘98

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/archive/Panoz/GTR-1.html
 
Back