Only using REAL race tracks

• Thread starter DTripp
  • 19 comments
United States
United States
I know I am probably in the minority on this but..... I really wish the fake tracks would all go away.

With all the great tracks around the world, do we really need the fake ones? The REAL Dubai, Summit Point, Mont Tremblant, etc.

Even recreating old tracks that are gone now. Riverside for example would be awesome.

I’m in that minority as well, never enjoy them. Rio and Dubai are by far the two I hate without a doubt. Wish I could replace them with other tracks in the single player. I’d love some old circuits that no longer exist to some how be created.

TL;DR: If that's the case, then you'd probably REALLY like my suggestion for Forza 8 that gives players the option to disallow any track of their choice from showing up in career mode. You get the real stuff, I get to never drive Silverstone.

Long form: Nothing wrong with that, I understand your view perfectly well. Personally, I believe "fake" (or, to be polite, fantasy) tracks allow a sim to show what soul it has underneath the hood.

All the fantasy tracks in FM7 are so boring to drive. It was also frustrating to learn how the Dubai mountain pass was going to be the only new track for the game, especially because Dubai Autodrome is one of the few tracks designed within the last 20 years or so that aren't stupid.

Rio is a dud in most of its forms, but Dubai, Bernese Alps and Prague have some huge sweeping turns and elevation changes that are quite fun to take flat out in the stupidly overpowered hypercars that exist today. By contrast a lot of real world tracks, both in the game and not, aren't designed to acoommodate vehicles with that much cartoonish power.

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly commit all manner of crimes to get Mid-Ohio or Ebisu or even a small oval like Bristol into Forza. But at the same time it's also nice to have a couple tracks where cars like a McLaren P1 can be run at full tilt in something other than just a long straightaway.

Having fantasy tracks is a staple of the genre so I think they won't go away. Currently the only track I really dislike is the Test Track which is rather useless, also I don't mind if they remove the Top Gear track since it's dissapearing in real life. Having the option of making blueprints for championships that include only the tracks you want (in the manner of FH3) would be great.

I wouldn't mind if Rio was replaced by the original from FM1. Really enjoyed that track back in the day. Or they could replace it with Guai Circuit/Macau. Coastal city, both tracks are 3.8 miles in length, wide open straight by the bay, has some decent elevation changes, & plenty of tight spots. Or hell, even Interlagos to stay in Brazil.

I don't have issue with fantasy racetracks when they 're good, but turn10 cut out the good one to only let us the worst. The Alps and Prague are so bad... Feels like driving an highway with flowless surface... and they don't feel like racetracks, they have a weird flow and corners. Rio and Dubaï too.

All of them feel the same, all are very wide, have somekind of an elevation, a short narrow part, a tunnel, a long curve with a view.

Meanwhile we lost the narrow Fujimi kaido, the technical Amalfi/positano, and the not that bad Camino viejo/ladera/iberian.

FM4's Maple Valley had a nice flow but its recreation in FM7 kinda lacks that spark for me. I don't really trust the current Turn 10 team to resurrect any past fantasy tracks in an enjoyable way. Shame as I'd like to see both versions of New York make a comeback (I'm probably alone in that regard :lol:).

Shame as I'd like to see both versions of New York make a comeback (I'm probably alone in that regard :lol:).
I wouldn't mind having the one from the original game that had the underground section. If I remember correctly the pit area was down there too which was a pretty interesting design choice.

The FM2 version that was basically just two drag strips with some extra stuff tacked in between... ehhh, not so much. Too many bad memories of that damn Hennessey Viper being 9 seconds ahead on the first lap.

Lake Maggione from GT Sport is a great fictional track. All the ones in Forza 6-7 I don’t like much, they are just some dull rides through appealing scenery IMO.

I also prefer real life tracks and especially the historical ones that you can find in Project CARS 1&2 and Assetto Corsa.

Having fantasy tracks is a staple of the genre so I think they won't go away.

This. They're also the only real way a dev can distinguish its game's track list from others out there these days. In an age where laser scanning is becoming common place, tracks like the Nurburgring or Brands Hatch are practically a given in any semi-serious racer. Not that that's a bad thing — far from it — but you need a USP.

It's also a chance for dev teams to flex their creative muscles. The sim racing genre doesn't really offer many opportunities for that, and on the basis of some of the original circuits out there, I hope it continues. 👍

For example:

Lake Maggione from GT Sport is a great fictional track. All the ones in Forza 6-7 I don’t like much, they are just some dull rides through appealing scenery IMO.

I'd agree about Maggiore, and add Dragon Trail (at least its original layout). I find certain layouts of Turn 10's fictional tracks pretty good too: the Alps can be plenty of fun in faster stuff; Prague long is the same, while the short version plays better with slower metal; and Rio is a great track in the "National" second-largest layout, especially in the '70s F1 cars.

But Dubai is junk. It doesn't flow; the mountain section could be a decent enough drift-happy location if it weren't so wide and same-y.

Also, as an example:

I also prefer real life tracks and especially the historical ones that you can find in Project CARS 1&2 and Assetto Corsa.

PCARS2's track list is second-to-none IMO. AC's is better than GT Sport's, but it doesn't have much to offer that's genuinely unique in the genre. I believe it's just Vallelunga, Magione, and Zandy on consoles. Magione isn't exactly what I'd call historic — or particularly good (sorry Kunos!) — but I do really enjoy the other two.

Well AC used to be the only game with classic Monza on consoles. The track was not in PC1 IIRC but made it into PC2 once that one launched. AC lost it’s appeal for the historical tracks that way.

Still it’s nice to compare both classic Monza and classic Silverstone in PC and AC.

Talking about AC, black cat county has got to be the most boring fictional track ever made. :)

I know I am probably in the minority on this but..... I really wish the fake tracks would all go away.

With all the great tracks around the world, do we really need the fake ones? The REAL Dubai, Summit Point, Mont Tremblant, etc.

Even recreating old tracks that are gone now. Riverside for example would be awesome.

Agreed . Leave the fake tracks for Horizon. Forza motorsport needs to be about real tracks. Mid-Ohio, Mont Tremblant, streets of Toronto, Montreal, Barber Motorsports Park, streets of St. Petersburg, Portland Raceway, Trois Rivere, Surfers Paradise, Kyalami etc...

Well AC used to be the only game with classic Monza on consoles. The track was not in PC1 IIRC but made it into PC2 once that one launched. AC lost it’s appeal for the historical tracks that way.

Still it’s nice to compare both classic Monza and classic Silverstone in PC and AC.

Talking about AC, black cat county has got to be the most boring fictional track ever made. :)

Nope... The most boring fictional track ever made title is currently held by Turn 10 for Forza 1's High Speed Test track.

I like them when they're done well. I like Prague, for instance, and wish Forza would bring back the Fuji course from FM4. Meanwhile over on the GT side Route 11 and Grand Valley were among my favorites, as was Sierra.

Indeed. I remember pre-change Silverstone in the older FM games and hated it. I don't mind the new one, but I very much like the classic layout in AC. Taking the old 911 around there is a blast.

I can't even remember any standout features of it...

That said, it's really great for PR-style photos. The problem there, at least on consoles, is the lack of a photomode for players.

I'm hoping Dubai wasn't the start of a trend for T10.

Agreed . Leave the fake tracks for Horizon. Forza motorsport needs to be about real tracks. Mid-Ohio, Mont Tremblant, streets of Toronto, Montreal, Barber Motorsports Park, streets of St. Petersburg, Portland Raceway, Trois Rivere, Surfers Paradise, Kyalami etc...

Cadwell motorsports park....

Back