Oof, Mercedes F1 W08 is glitching again..

• Thread starter jsbirk
  • 26 comments
Norway
Ørsta
JoarSB
Hi guys!

So, has anyone of you tried using the Mercedes F1 W08 after the update came out? I bought it today, and it has been glitching since the first turn with me. The glitch seems to be the same as I've come to understand it has been before. As soon as I'm stepping down from the throttle it won't respond again, or at least for several seconds after I've pushed the throttle pedal down again. It's no glitch that comes and goes, it's there all the time. That means I spent 2 mill on a car I can't use! :irked:

Last edited:
I've not driven the W08 since the update, but there are cars that do the same thing. Assuming you mean it's like the clutch is just slipping and not engaging? Seems a bit off.

I don't know if it's the clutch but even before the update it can be sluggish at low speeds in first gear. I don't know why. Could be turbo lag, could be the clutch, or it could just be a narrow powerband. Haven't tried the W08 since the update though.

Yes, the acceleration is far slower now compared to when I drove it last. It took me 5 seconds to reach 100KM/H, it should be 2 seconds or so. However when you hit 5th gear, there is a sudden an violent burst of power either from the turbo, battery or both. It's a pain to deal with when taking corners. I spun several times on Catalunya trying to keep this power under control; it's really weird. The car baffles me. It's worse than F1 2018.

I've now added a little video to show what I'm experiencing. It's bad to say the least, and it's totally undrivable as it is right now. It might be a clutch bug, but I'm not entirely sure.

That's some of the craziest turbo lag I've ever seen. The engine shuts off until the turbos start working again!
So it's turbo lag? The video captures the Merc on a "good" run. It has lagged as long as up to 10 seconds with me:banghead:

So it's turbo lag? The video captures the Merc on a "good" run. It has lagged as long as up to 10 seconds with me:banghead:

If you look at the HUD where your boost is located, it stays completely still until it suddenly comes back on again despite your white throttle bar being full. So yes, I would say the update broke the turbo.

I suspect this combined with Sport Mode being broken will warrant a hotfix with next week's maintenance period.

If you look at the HUD where your boost is located, it stays completely still until it suddenly comes back on again despite your white throttle bar being full. So yes, I would say the update broke the turbo.

I suspect this combined with Sport Mode being broken will warrant a hotfix with next week's maintenance period.
Yeah, you're right. And if it had been a clutch problem, I would still have been able to rev the engine, right?

Yeah, you're right. And if it had been a clutch problem, I would still have been able to rev the engine, right?

A clutch problem would mean the gears wouldn't be shifting properly. That was the first bug associated with the W08. It's fine in the video so it definitely isn't that. Also yes, if it were the clutch your revs would be bouncing off the limiter too.

You're still riding the brake pedal on exit, once all brake pressure is released then it starts accelerating as normal.
Yes, I know. But the thing is, I don't have my foot on the brake pedal when it says the brake is activated. Yes, I brake for the turns, but I remove my foot as soon as I have slowed down enough. So something weird is going on

Not a bug, but extremely bad modelling. I've been meaning to write this in the main W08 thread for a while now but never got around to it, and it actually suits this thread better.

As @mthomas_95 notes above, it's the brakes. The current generation of F1 cars has a fail-safe system that cuts the engine completely if both pedals are pressed at the same time and PD took this to the extreme - while I'm not completely sure, I have a feeling that it should allow for some overlapping and only activate when there's noticable pressure on the brake pedal. However, it seems that PD took it very literally and the engine cuts off as soon as you apply the slightest amount of braking.

Now why you have a sticky brake pedal, that's another question. But the car's behaviour is simply bad modelling.

Not a bug, but extremely bad modelling. I've been meaning to write this in the main W08 thread for a while now but never got around to it, and it actually suits this thread better.

As @mthomas_95 notes above, it's the brakes. The current generation of F1 cars has a fail-safe system that cuts the engine completely if both pedals are pressed at the same time and PD took this to the extreme - while I'm not completely sure, I have a feeling that it should allow for some overlapping and only activate when there's noticable pressure on the brake pedal. However, it seems that PD took it very literally and the engine cuts off as soon as you apply the slightest amount of braking.

Now why you have a sticky brake pedal, that's another question. But the car's behaviour is simply bad modelling.
That sounds like a very plausible explanation of the problem too. I've actually thought that the brakes could have something to do with it myself. One question though; when I'm using other cars and spin around, say another gr.-class car, and comes to a complete stop, I get stuck and can't move until I've tapped the brakes a couple of times. Is that a similar issue going on here?

Here's the thing though... every patch this car changes in some way.

The one before this, where everyone complained it was too easy to drive is when I struck while the iron was hot and did 5 trophies.

This cant be deliberate. I refuse to believe that PD are changing to car to drive in this bad way.

There was the general indication that the prior 'easy mode' driving was how it was supposed to drive according to PD.

I kind of feel these random patch by patch changes diminishes the entire existence of this car... why would you spend $2 mil. on this is the car changes character every month?

All the people commenting that they haven’t tried the car since the update are so useless lol

Same as the people who respond to questions on Amazon: No I don’t own the product myself, can’t help you

Well, I’m not helpful myself

Last edited:
I dunno what are you doing wrong guys, but i just drove it on Nurburgring GP and the car is absolutely fine. Drives exactly the same as it did before the update

Seems to work fine for me:

Forgive the shaky driving, first time around the track (compounded by me forgetting to change from my Monza setup).

Yes, I know. But the thing is, I don't have my foot on the brake pedal when it says the brake is activated. Yes, I brake for the turns, but I remove my foot as soon as I have slowed down enough. So something weird is going on
Your brake pedal might be busted or miscalibrated. Try restarting everything (ps4, disconnect wheel etc.) to get the pedals to recalibrate.

If the pedals are out of warranty and you're feeling brave you could try cleaning / adjusting the potentiometer.

That sounds like a very plausible explanation of the problem too. I've actually thought that the brakes could have something to do with it myself. One question though; when I'm using other cars and spin around, say another gr.-class car, and comes to a complete stop, I get stuck and can't move until I've tapped the brakes a couple of times. Is that a similar issue going on here?

That means your brake pedal is sticking. Same thing happened to me with with previous pedal set (potentiometer's locking nut was worn and becoming loose, allowing some movement that prevented correct range of motion for said potentiometer). There are other possible causes, but most likely related to brake pedal setup (bad spring, dirty components), which you probably are going to have to disassemble to assess.

Works fine for me and I just drove it this morning(4 hours ago), and looking at OP's video I can tell that the problem is on OP's end, specifically his brake button/pedal is sticking with a little bit of pressure even after being fully released.

The W08 is behaving as expected because the real car has a fail safe which cuts out the engine if both brake and gas pedals are pressed, I'm not sure why FIA though that was a good idea, or why PD thought it was also a good idea to implement it on the game, but there we go.

I don't know if it's the clutch but even before the update it can be sluggish at low speeds in first gear. I don't know why. Could be turbo lag, could be the clutch, or it could just be a narrow powerband. Haven't tried the W08 since the update though.
That's fixed now. It takes right off.

This car understeers a quite bit on corner entry, but is completely docile on throttle until the power kicks in all at once. It is a massive annoyance when this hapens as it always snaps the rear. Sometimes you can save it sometimes you crash. I find careful drivers who don't really push the car sometimes beating me in races because of this...

The Ferrari f1s from gt5 could literally be thrown in and out of corners with pedal floored on exits. This thing pushes your patience at times as you need to think about those exits and mid turns where it might bite you.

Back