Open Track Drift Scoring

I haven't been prodding around too much with this, but why does it seem to put your points in the bank at different points sometimes? The only track I've done this on is Chamonix and it's very frustrating because you'll be sitting with 20k+ points and as soon as you notice it the walls seem to become magnetic. (Lol not really, you just get nervous and mess up.) Then you're out 20k points.

For example it seems that about 1/4th of the way into the snow section till you hit tarmac again is all counted as one section, but every so often it breaks that into a few smaller sections... What's happening here?

I thought that with open track there are no sections and the game puts the score in the bank whenever you stop drifting for a long enough amount of time. E.g. complete a drift, drive straight for a couple of seconds, and it adds the points to the bank.

I do tend to link the drifts back to back, I'd just like to know for certain what is going on there so I can work around it, because every time I see a really high number up there. (One time was 33k!!) I go ZOMG and then crash. (Or it at least seems that way.)

Last edited:
HP<200 cars can use N tyres. 200<HP<700 cars can use S tyres. Never tried any thing with HP>700 so I don't know. Entry speed is key. For that, you'll find the flashing gear display very helpful.

If you want some easy drifting, go to one of the dirt or snow tracks. That should prepare you for the real work on tarmac. I was surprised at how easy it actually is in this game, considering I suck at it in GT5P.

I believe you just need to go in a straight line for a few seconds. Last week, I spent several real days on the Grand Canyon track in drift mode with an Impreza, and ended up with 2million drift points, and that is what seemed to happen.

Back