Open wheel and Classic Race car hopes for GT5 DLC (probably GT6)

• Thread starter toolo4sno
  • 11 comments
United States
Detroit, MI
toolo4sno
Ever since I was able to drive the Formula GT successfully around Suzuka, without a major error, I was hooked. Up until that point it was a little touch and go, but I made some crucial adjustments and went to town.

Unfortunately, beyond the FGT and the 2 Ferrari F1s there are no other open wheel race cars. I'm writing this in hopes that others would be interested in Formula cars from other eras, and PD finds this massive support impossible to ignore. Then I wake up.

The licensing for F1 has been beaten to death, and I have conceded the fact that if I want to race current F1 cars its going to be in another game. Also, the generic Formula 1 cars from GT3 are gone and not likely to return.

What I want to know is if PD made multiple types of Formula GT cars from different eras; would people drive them? Change the name of the current one to Formula GT '00s, or get an actual marketing person to get a better name. Then make one chassis per decade. Start with some mix between a Ferrari 156 and a Lotus 24/49 for the 60's. Basically chassis with no aero and a V6 or V8. Move to some 70's era chassis with minimal aero and a V8, Get some 80's turbo cars (improved aero) for good measure and end with a 90's era high tech car that may have higher mechanical grip (than FGT), but less aero.

It doesn't seem like the FGT gets a lot of love online and people hate the A-Spec championship; so I think I may be wasting my time. I just hope when PD is considering what cars to put the man-power on they go with quality over quantity (read: JDM). I just don't know if people can get over the "fake" aspect.

I would prefer it if PD game us some Formula Fords, Old Formula 1 cars (50's Alfas, etc), Formula Renault, Formula BMW, etc.

Obviously we all want the real cars, but would most of us live if PD made their own versions to avoid licensing issues.

How about the Auto Union 1938 V16 Type C/D
250px-Auto-union-type-d.jpg

I think the FGT and its championship don't get the love they deserve maybe because it's not an easy car to drive. It is blindingly quick but it has more power than aero, and it is extremely agile but that makes it also unstable and frightfully sensitive to those who can't adjust. My only complaint is the A-Spec championship races were too few and too short.

Ever since GT3 the open wheeled cars have always been my utmost favorite by a long way... and I loved how the cars in GT3 were all different (yes they were basically V6 or V10, but they had different handling, different fuel and tire consumption, different rev limits etc) and that made them really interesting. I appreciate them even more now that I know whose cars each was based on (Senna, Hill, Mansell). I don't mind whether they are PD's creations or real.

GT4 introduced us to the awesome and mighty Nurburgring Nordschleife, and ever since then the FGT on the 'Ring has been the ultimate for me - compared to that, nothing else I do in the game matters, it's just entertainment.

If GT6 wants to get serious about open wheeled cars, we need to include the important points in its history (let's say a front-engined Maserati or Alfa, the first rear-engined Cooper, the light but deadly Lotuses, then a few cars from the 70s, some turbo 80s monsters, etc). Would be nice to bring back the cars from GT3 and GT5 of course... and naturally it would be great if some CART or IRL machines also were included. You'd think Formula Nippon would be a given...

I think the IndyCar idea is probably the best way to approach the open wheel problem. Hardly anyone watches it, there is hardly any video game support, and the people at IndyCar would probably be begging a marquee franchise like Gran Turismo to feature their cars. This means the licenses would be dirt cheap, which is good for Sony. And for us, it means a whole field of open wheel race cars to drive, which is good for marketing and players.

Notice the lack of negatives here. The only negative I can foresee is a license being misused again.

Back