opinions about practice / qualifying / racelength

Netherlands
Netherlands
allstyles
i find it ridiculous that people have more than 15 minutes of qualifying for a 10 lap race,
in shorter tracks that means you have more qualifying time than race time :odd:

what even stranger is that people have long practice and qualifying in a public room :nervous::nervous::nervous:
you know people WILL mess up in a public lobby :ouch:

i can understand it when somebody makes a lobby so that people can join, but a lott of lobbys in public rooms are having brutal practice and qualifying tme for a short race.

can some people enlighten me why??

Attention spans have always been my guess. You can get up an leave a qualifying or practice to do something else and come back. An short races cram all the madness and destruction into bite sized pieces.

Sadly, I feel like you. Since launch, I honestly feel like I've spent 50% of my time online looking for a lobby with more than 5 laps and less than 90 mins of qualification.

I'd very much like the "event length" selection to refer to the race itself and not if another session is included. 10 laps at Monza is not long when you've done 18 in qualifying :lol:

yup, only thing that helps are private lobbies with good people from here ,.. but was wondering what other people are thinking!!

But think how many 5 lap races could you have in 90 minutes of practicing, waiting to have a 5 lap race.

Of course 90 minutes is extreme. You can vote to skip the session which reduces the timer and I think the host can skip the session whenever.

Some people like to simulate track days with such long practise sessions. For them the practise IS the main session of the event and the race itself is just bonus.

Very true. We ran a track day in CRAP with any car allowed. The room was private edit: public :dunce: to attract potential members. The room was set up thus.

Snetterton
Qualifying (or maybe it was practice): 30 mins
Race 1 lap free for all.
Repeat choosing new cars if we wanted.

We did get 1 or 2 people asking if we were racing. I explained what was going on and most of the time they stayed and hot lapped/tuned. We had a nearly full room for a few hours and generally people drove very nicely. The 1 lap race every half hour was a quick bit of fun in between track sessions. As AnfLaw said, naming rooms would help.

Here are a couple of photos from the session. Sorry I've gone off at a tangent.

11879184_745709002218241_8963887779589847121_o.jpg

11823064_745708965551578_9102807943046350744_o.jpg

11144442_745708848884923_4284186289301620774_o.jpg

Last edited:
This is something that has puzzled me since I started online. Being able to add room names would help a ton!

I get the 90/90/90 min rooms as track days, test sessions, or just hang out time.....but I don't understand the 3 lap, 30 min qualifying rooms :lol:

I think 10 or 15 min qualifying sessions are best, and race lengths which make the race last anywhere from 10-20ish minutes, depending on class, track, and room settings. I wish SMS would let us set up timed races instead of just distance races. I like the 10-15 min qualifying, as it gives me a chance to stretch my legs between races, grab a drink or smoke, etc., but at the same time, it's not an eternity between races.

The other type of room I like is when the host runs a more "Shuffle" oriented room, ie, 5 min or no qualifying, no tuning, and short races. Then either track change, class change, or both.

Back