opinions wanted

• Thread starter Libre
  • 14 comments
Libre58
Hi - I am a newby here - I got my PS3 ande GT5 set-up over this winter holiday (2009-2010) so I haven't been playing long - yet, I've cleared every event except for the legenday (around here) S-10. I'm working on it. Got some good tunes for the car I'm running. I am using the Logitech Driving Force wheel.

If you don't mind, please tell me your preferences for the following basic options, and if you care to, your reasons:
-Transmission type - auto or manual (I use manual most of the time);
-Camera View (I like the behind the car view - best view of the car and the road ahead, I think);
-Active Steering option (I've read enough to know to turn all aids off - but I don't recall seeing this one mentioned);
-Hand brake - do you use it on sharp turns? (I do, and I get into trouble a little less frequently than it helps me, so that's why I continue to use it;
-and finally (for now) which shifters do you primarily use (if you use manual tranny) - the paddle shifters or the stick shift. I use mainly the paddles but every now and then my arms get twisted up in a sharp turn and I go to the stick - which is a sure sign that I'm about to crash into a wall.
- oh yeah, I use standard physics for obvious reasons.
Thx in advance for any advice or tips you'd like to cast my way.
I am running approx 2:00-2:10 laps on the Suzuka course in the Amuse GT.
Thx again

Hi - I am a newby here - I got my PS3 ande GT5 set-up over this winter holiday (2009-2010) so I haven't been playing long - yet, I've cleared every event except for the legenday (around here) S-10. I'm working on it. Got some good tunes for the car I'm running. I am using the Logitech Driving Force wheel.

If you don't mind, please tell me your preferences for the following basic options, and if you care to, your reasons:
-Transmission type - auto or manual (I use manual most of the time);
-Camera View (I like the behind the car view - best view of the car and the road ahead, I think);
-Active Steering option (I've read enough to know to turn all aids off - but I don't recall seeing this one mentioned);
-Hand brake - do you use it on sharp turns? (I do, and I get into trouble a little less frequently than it helps me, so that's why I continue to use it;
-and finally (for now) which shifters do you primarily use (if you use manual tranny) - the paddle shifters or the stick shift. I use mainly the paddles but every now and then my arms get twisted up in a sharp turn and I go to the stick - which is a sure sign that I'm about to crash into a wall.
- oh yeah, I use standard physics for obvious reasons.
Thx in advance for any advice or tips you'd like to cast my way.
I am running approx 2:00-2:10 laps on the Suzuka course in the Amuse GT.
Thx again

You are on the right path.I play s-10 just for fun now,usually I get the lead on the 3rd or 4th lap and its very easy.I have won it with 111r,amuse gt,mine's,gt lm test car,blitz,tuned corvette and viper and clio so far.

Ideally the ideal lap time in the amuse around Suzuka would be 1.56 in the race and its really easy once you get the hang of it,I would say practice on the suzuka east and iron out all the mistakes in the esses,this part of the track makes or break your lap.

Not sure about the hand brakes,I never use them and I always use the paddle shift on the wheel as I have the same wheel as well.You need to be as smooth as you can be in the first sector and then just nail the hairpin and then watch out for liftsteer and understeer around spoon.

final words-Suzuka is a track built by Honda to test their road cars and that is why it has so many turns and height variations so this track takes time to get used to,goodluck.S-10 will be a piece of cake for you soon.

I use:
Manual
Bumper cam(I find behind the car cam the worst for running fast laps)
ASM OFF
Paddle shifters

I sugest using one of these three cars if you can't do it with the Amuse
Tuned Clio
GTR
Tuned Skyline
Edit: I just realized it is a 750pp event now(used to be 700pp) So definitely use the GTLM. If you find it too hard to control try the Tuned Z06 or Tuned Viper. But the Amuse is a good choice at 750pp too.

When tuning give yourself the least amount of rear grip and the most amount of front end grip you can handle. You can find a few seconds with a good gear ratio on Suzuka as well. And always use the least amount of weight possible. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, guys.
I like the bumper cam but for some reason the only cam that does not give me motion sickness is behind the car cam. But for faster laps I don't care if get sick as a dog so I'll try it.
Oh yeah - also - do you right foot brake or left foot brake. I've gone to left foot braking so I can "heel and toe" by simutaneously hitting the gas toward the end of braking.

later...
so - how do I get the GTLM?
I presume you mean the Ford GT?
But only the regular Ford GT is available at the dealer - not the LM nor the spec II. What am I missing?
-edit - never mind, found it.

And, for that matter, what's a tuned clio and where do I get it?
-edit - found this one too.

'nother question:
how do I know what set-up I'm using in tt's or drifts or the on-line game - when you can (seemingly) only check your set-up or quick tune for the career events?

I know I have a lot of questions - I'm grateful for any assistance.
Thx

Last edited:
I only use my right foot. I dont see a need for left foot braking but i know others do. Im slower if i use it actually.

When you can`t tune the car is running stock settings.

ah
btw in S-10 I was racing the GT LM and was finishing between 5 - 8th, w/ 2:00-2:05 laps so that's a lot of improvement.

I only use my right foot. I dont see a need for left foot braking but i know others do. Im slower if i use it actually.

I have since switched to left foot braking. It gained me maybe .250 a lap on Suzuka with the GTLM. It especially helps with mid-engined cars to prevent oversteer.

ah
btw in S-10 I was racing the GT LM and was finishing between 5 - 8th, w/ 2:00-2:05 laps so that's a lot of improvement.

If you can sit on 2:00 laptimes s10 will be a breeze, i found the easiest way to gold it on pro physics was to use the tuned corvette and this https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3410233&postcount=588 setup.

Its still pretty hard though, stringing 5 really good laps of suzuka (my fav track of all time btw) in a row is quite an achievement for the average driver.

Getting the easy car lineup makes it alot easier aswell.

If you are using a pad to drive (which you aren't) you may use the cam that sits behind the car.
If you are driving with a wheel, then you are seriously hindering yourself using any other view than Dials or bonnet cam.
You cannot respond quick enough using a wheel if you can see the car on screen, you can see the nose washing out or turning in too quick on bumper or bonnet cam, and adjust accordingly.
The view of the car is only to be used when you drive with a pad, IMO.

I change gear with the stick, but that's just how I've always done it. Venari was telling me the other day at the BETA trials that you can always tell when I'm driving on a racing vid, cos you can see my hand go off the wheel for the stick.
I left foot brake.
I find dabbing the throttle in between gears during a hard braking manoeuvre, like coming up to the final chicane after the 130R, stabilizes the car quicker. This is pointless in the Nissan GTR, as it does that for you. I'd leave that car in auto too, cos it's quicker than humans brains. :boggled:
It's nice to see such a polite new member here with some genuine questions and decency in response. :cheers:

:irked:👍

i use a wheel,
manual gears
bumper cam
pro physics
left foot brake
paddle shift unless im scratching my nose and forget i have to change gear

Manual trans, always.

Cockpit or bumper cam, always.

Handbrake, never! Unless I am doing a drifting run, and even then pretty rarely.

Turn all aids off means ALL! Active steering too! The only one you should bother with is TCS, and use that very sparingly and only in certain cars if you find that you need it.

I use the paddles because I use a DFGT and don't care for the shifter. The paddles are great though, so whatever. I'll reach for the shifter if the wheel isn't centered and I've made a horrible mistake, though.

Switch to pro physics, bumper/cockpit cam, get off the handbrake and slow down into the entrance of the turn enough so you don't need the handbrake, jet out of it quickly, win!

It'll be a whole new and way more awesome game if you make these changes!!

Above all else though, use the settings that you have fun with in the end.

I am a Newbie as well. Me and the walls, and the grass are becoming good friends. Using the wheel has been challenging. I own a few of the cars I purchased in the game and the wheel handles them completely different than the controller. bumper view is a mist

I use the tuned vette, all the tuning is stock. The only thing that I change is the performance points. I take all the weight out and as much power as I'm allowed after that. I use a manual on the DFGT, either mode works for me. The first lap need to be a 2:10 and the follwing at least 2:00. I usually get a few 1:59 times and have a decent lead by the end.

If you use this I hope it helps, but remember, no two drivers are the same. everyone has a different setup that they run good with, you just need to find yours.

Back