Optimal progression through the game

• Thread starter Wilsonson
  • 6 comments
Germany
Germany
insomniacsloth
Good day fellow humans,

I have finally gotten myself a PS5 over Black Friday. It will arrive tomorrow. I will finally put my trusty old PS3 and GT5 to rest.

I have educated myself about the various parts of GT7 and how to unlock them. I came up with the following roadmap for progressing through the game. If you all would be so kind and comment on it and tell me what I may have missed or have misconceptions about I would be very grateful. I plan on updating this list if there is anything I missed. I would also be thankful for rough estimates of playtime needed to reach each stage.

The goal of the roadmap is to unlock weekly challenges as soon as possible and then finish the rest:
  1. Progress through menu books asap, breeze through licenses as necessary at first unless there is a gold prize car to be had that is needed for progress
  2. Menu book 9: unlock Sport Mode
  3. (Optional: from here on weekly: do time trials, do circuit experience for current week's time trial if it is already available but haven't been completed yet)
  4. Menu book 39: unlock Weekly Challenges and ending movie
  5. Do Weekly Challenges from now on
  6. Gold all remaining licenses, missions, circuit experiences and regular races/championships in case there are any left
Once everything is golded I would personally either grind for car completion, get more into daily races or maybe invest time into time trials if maybe I am good enough for meaningful placements, which is doubtful.

While progressing and most likely once I have completed everything except cars I will probably do a daily race every once in a while and figure out how good I really am.

This will be my first time ever playing an online capable GT during its server lifetime. Therefore I dont have any kind of reference other than knowing that I am definitely not an alien hut have golded all of GT3, 5 and 6. I wouldn't be surprised if I barely get silvers in time trials and never progress beyond DR B in multiplayer. On the other hand getting within 1.5% of WR times in time trials and being a lowly A+ driver don't seem completely outlandish either. Time will tell.

Thank you all for this great community!

Good list, progressing through the Cafe menus is a good idea. Only one license test is required to progress here (Nat.B).

Additionally, you'll want to consider how you want to increase your Collector Level (Max level is 50). There are a few things that are unlocked progressing this.

If you can Gold License Tests and Driving Missions, this will help. You can earn some pretty high valued cars this way. For example, if you Gold all the Master S License tests, you're rewarded the McLaren MP4/4 which I believe cost 10M Credits last time it was available in the Legendary Car Dealer.

Good Luck! And welcome :cheers:

If you're going for car collection completion, I'd suggest checking out a list of prize cars and making sure you don't waste any money on anything you can win, I'd also recommend doing your daily marathon every day, and prioritise buying any invite cars you need over anything else. People tend to complain about the daily marathon ticket rewards, and you will probably get frustrated by them, but if you're going to be playing the game for a long time, they do add up. The online Time Trials are normally easy to Bronze at a minimum, so again, even if you only have time to do a couple of laps, it's worth keeping up with, easiest money in the game.

@MatskiMonk Good point!

See this article for the available prize cars.

Last edited:
Good day fellow humans,

I have finally gotten myself a PS5 over Black Friday. It will arrive tomorrow. I will finally put my trusty old PS3 and GT5 to rest.

I have educated myself about the various parts of GT7 and how to unlock them. I came up with the following roadmap for progressing through the game. If you all would be so kind and comment on it and tell me what I may have missed or have misconceptions about I would be very grateful. I plan on updating this list if there is anything I missed. I would also be thankful for rough estimates of playtime needed to reach each stage.

The goal of the roadmap is to unlock weekly challenges as soon as possible and then finish the rest:
  1. Progress through menu books asap, breeze through licenses as necessary at first unless there is a gold prize car to be had that is needed for progress
  2. Menu book 9: unlock Sport Mode
  3. (Optional: from here on weekly: do time trials, do circuit experience for current week's time trial if it is already available but haven't been completed yet)
  4. Menu book 39: unlock Weekly Challenges and ending movie
  5. Do Weekly Challenges from now on
  6. Gold all remaining licenses, missions, circuit experiences and regular races/championships in case there are any left
Once everything is golded I would personally either grind for car completion, get more into daily races or maybe invest time into time trials if maybe I am good enough for meaningful placements, which is doubtful.

While progressing and most likely once I have completed everything except cars I will probably do a daily race every once in a while and figure out how good I really am.

This will be my first time ever playing an online capable GT during its server lifetime. Therefore I dont have any kind of reference other than knowing that I am definitely not an alien hut have golded all of GT3, 5 and 6. I wouldn't be surprised if I barely get silvers in time trials and never progress beyond DR B in multiplayer. On the other hand getting within 1.5% of WR times in time trials and being a lowly A+ driver don't seem completely outlandish either. Time will tell.

Thank you all for this great community!
Good game plan.
I would recommend as well for any new player:
  • a car collection plan
  • a money/grinding while still having fun plan

As GT7 makes you work hard for your cars and has quite stingy economics, these two are essential to enjoy the game.

The big thing is to get through the first 39 Menu Books. That can be done with minimal expense and (depending on how good you are and the global difficulty you set) effort:
  • The first used car you are forced to buy, which unless you have either the 25th Anniversary Edition credits or stupidly bought credits, is limited to the Honda Fit, Mazda Demio and Toyota Aqua. I would still do the race that awards that car, even though the Menu Book progress screen will show that you have the car, before you go back to the Cafe to complete Menu Book 1 for two reasons. First, the one you bought, along with the other Menu Book UCD Specials (and only these specific cars, not the ones in the normal UCD), not only has mileage associated with it, but wear. Second, once you complete a Menu Book or finish 3rd in a particular race while working the associated Menu Book (whichever happens first), you can no longer win a(nother) car from running that race.
  • A pickup you will need to buy, which is needed for running the Pickup Truck Races unlocked in Menu Book 26. The Ford F-150 is the prize for getting a podium finish at the Colorado Springs Pickup Truck Race while working Menu Book 26, so if you're pressed for time or just can't get the hang of dirt racing, just buy it instead of buying the Toyota Tundra (the other pickup). For either truck, I do recommend a custom transmission, and you will need to buy dirt tires.
  • The cars you win in the course of completing the Menu Books (some will need to be tuned, either by a Menu Book or to get a 3rd-place finish in a Menu Book race to get the next car). Other than possibly using the Ford F-150 "shortcut" mentioned above, I do not recommend buying your way through the Menu Books. However, if you have an invitation to buy an invite car about to expire and you haven't yet unlocked the ending movie, I would recommend buying it - you never know when you'll get another invite.
  • At least bronze for the normal National B and National A licenses (eventually needed to enter races) and at least bronze at the Dragon Trail - Gardens Circuit Experience. You don't need to get gold; you won't need either the credits or the prize cars until you get through the Menu Books.
You should be able to get through Menu Book 9 and open up Sport Mode inside of 2 casual days. Getting through Menu Book 39 and to the ending movie should take 7-14 days. Everything else, from the rest of the licenses (and golding the normal National B/National A licenses), to completing/golding the remaining Circuit Experiences, races and challenges, can wait.

Once you do unlock the ending movie, start buying cars you don't already have, focusing on those needed for Extra Books (or at least those offering non-parts/non-engine tickets or cars as prizes), even if your Collector Level isn't high enough to unlock a particular Extra Book, along with any invitation car for which you have an invite. To do that, go get gold on the Circuit Experiences - that's a cool 52,000,000+ Cr. between the piddling amount for each segment, a modest bonus for getting all bronze at a particular track, and, mostly, good bonuses for getting all gold at a particular track. Once you have that, or you find you can't have that, go to the grinding plan @Boxster suggested you make.

If memory serves, a couple of those Extra Book cars are also prizes for later licenses and missions, though they can be struggles to win. Also, don't sell the last/only copy of any car - you need to have possession of it for the Extra Book collections that open up once you watch the ending movie, and there already has been a car (the 1992 Honda NSX Type R) that is needed for multiple Extra Books.

Back