Original Star Wars movies coming on DVD

  • Thread starter Thread starter slackbladder
  • 25 comments
  • 873 views
Messages
1,499
United Kingdom
Darkest Kent....
Messages
Slackbladder
Messages
DarkSideDaMoon
www.starwars.com
For anyone who prefers the original cinematic versions of the first 3 Star Wars films they're coming out on DVD this September. For some this will be great news as many have expressed a preference for the original "unmolested" films. Others may argue that it's just another way of lucasfilm to get money from the fans.

Also important to note what it says here -
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.
It looks like you can't buy the originals alone.

So, rip-off or about time?
 
They shoulda done this for the original trilogy boxset, this is just a money grabbing scheme I feel.
 
I like my digitally enhanced versions better, they are least look and sound good.
 
Meh, George Lucas is milking the Star Wars cow for all it's worth. And more. He may as well make episode 7-9, and then get another hundred million from it. :rolleyes:
 
Can someone please tell me what the difference was exactly?

I noticed absolutely nothing..
 
Unfortunately, Mr. Lucas took so long in doing this that many fans have turned their backs. That said, the originals are way better before George muddied them up.
 
I also believe this is a classic DVD release scheme. I've owned three different versions of the "Fifth Element" DVDs, because of stunts like these.

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars
This is the biggest BS I've heard this year. When the "demand" was overwhelming, Lucas told the reporters that the original version will never be released. I guess it meant, "Original versions of Trilogy will never be released................... until you all bought my CG enhanced version DVDs". People talk about Bill Gates like he is some kind of money hungy monster. He doesn't even come close to George Lucas. 👎 Usually, something like this would've been the final straw for me, but since he's George Lucas, I guess I'll give him another chance...... or two.
 
I find it mildly amusing (and ironic) that george lucas struck gold when he did the original movies with limited budgets and limited special effects. When he had the means to do what he really wanted with the films (episode 1,2, and 3 plus the special editions) they are just crap.
 
Driftster
Can someone please tell me what the difference was exactly?

I noticed absolutely nothing..
Well, apart from all the added CG elements taken out one difference will be the Han Solo shooting Greedo scene. In the "enhanced" versions Greedo shoots first, somehow missing. In the original Solo fires first. Not important for many perhaps but for others it greatly diminished the Solo character and seemed the result of political correctness.
Also of interest is that the sound will be in Stereo Surround in these Original Version DVDs.
I won't be getting them. Certainly not if you have to buy the 2004 Digitally enhanced versions too (which I already have). They're only going to be sold from Sept to Dec as well, apparently.
 
slackbladder
Well, apart from all the added CG elements taken out one difference will be the Han Solo shooting Greedo scene. In the "enhanced" versions Greedo shoots first, somehow missing. In the original Solo fires first. Not important for many perhaps but for others it greatly diminished the Solo character and seemed the result of political correctness.
Also of interest is that the sound will be in Stereo Surround in these Original Version DVDs.
I won't be getting them. Certainly not if you have to buy the 2004 Digitally enhanced versions too (which I already have). They're only going to be sold from Sept to Dec as well, apparently.




.......You've gotta be ****tin me....
 
. He may as well make episode 7-9, and then get another hundred million from it. :rolleyes:

He is going to, he claimed that the refusal to adhere to chronological order in the first two trilogies meant that the suprise of Anakins transformation was diminished. He plans to make another trilogy which he claims will have real surprises. I also heared rumours about him remaking "Empire Strikes Back".
:scared:
 
Driftster
.......You've gotta be ****tin me....
Nope, that's beeen a complaint of many Star Wars fans. You should visit some of the forums, very depressing. Could'nt really care less myself.
 
I'm kinda regretting getting the 04 boxset, because I bet they'll release a six-ology of each of the films, and I would personally DEMAND that Eps 4-6 have both original and 04 versions.
 
The only time I'll be getting the Star Wars films again is when they're out on blue-ray or HD-DVD, whichever. Fact is I'm tired of them and I only watch them very rarely.
I do understand why people have clamoured for the original prints to be put on DVD but it's just not a big deal for me. There's more important issues on my mind.
 
I watched all 5 previous movies about this time last year, in preparation for the last new release. And although they look nice, there's something about original look of the movies, when I see them broadcasted or on video tape.

There's more shadows and visible contrast with the originals. It also gives a bit of nostalgia to see them in the "old" format; especially since I saw all but the A New Hope in the theaters when originally released.

Overall, I like the old, dirty look better, for some reason. George Lucas was possibly the first to create a futuristic sci-fi world that was also visibly imperfect and rough-around-the-edges, much like reality.
 
I like the original Episode IV - VI better too, but now that slack mentioned the Blu-ray/HD-DVD, I'm going to wait until those come out.
 
This may be old news but I didn't see it anywhere in the post. Just another warning for why you may not want to buy the 'original' trilogy on dvd.

These films will NOT be in Anamorphic widescreen which has been the established way of putting film onto DVD since about 1997. They will simply be 'Leterboxed' taken from the master prints made for the 1993 Laserdisc release.

If you don't know what Anamorphic widescreen is check out www.thedigitalbits.com which has a very good article. Its too complex to get into here but it makes a very noticable difference to picture quality.

No clean up of the original prints, no anamorphic widescreen, only dolby stereo sound even though the originals were produced in multi channel sound and picture quality no better than a 1993 Laserdisc release. Not to mention you have to buy them along with the 2004 films again.

George really is just taking the piss these days
 
Well, I hadn't even thought of Blue-Ray/HD DVD's. I will be waiting. I'm bored stiff of buying the same thing over and over again. It's true though. Lucas has such an ego that he said the original films didn't represent his intent. They were limited to the technology at the time. Bleh...I wish in a lot of ways the new ones would've been done like that and just used CGI as a helper and not a staple.

The Jabba scen in Episode IV is so ridiculous. In Episode IV, Solo has enough guts, clout, pull or whatever to actually step on Jabba's tail and pretty much talk down to him. By episode VI, he's grovelling for mercy...:indiff: Yeah, that's a scene that NEEDS to be gone.
 
Honestly, I just wish that he would realize that after a movie is released, it's not "his" anymore. It's a public concept and presentation while it retains private financial rights. But dang! We don't have big stupid animals in the airport, why do they have to be at the space port? Oh, I know, because we CAN! Dummy...
 
DaveS1138
This may be old news but I didn't see it anywhere in the post. Just another warning for why you may not want to buy the 'original' trilogy on dvd.

These films will NOT be in Anamorphic widescreen which has been the established way of putting film onto DVD since about 1997. They will simply be 'Leterboxed' taken from the master prints made for the 1993 Laserdisc release.

If you don't know what Anamorphic widescreen is check out www.thedigitalbits.com which has a very good article. Its too complex to get into here but it makes a very noticable difference to picture quality.

No clean up of the original prints, no anamorphic widescreen, only dolby stereo sound even though the originals were produced in multi channel sound and picture quality no better than a 1993 Laserdisc release. Not to mention you have to buy them along with the 2004 films again.

George really is just taking the piss these days

Are they also manufactured in China with cantonese subtitles?, because I used to own those before! :dopey: :p Good heads up though. 👍
 
a6m5
Are they also manufactured in China with cantonese subtitles?, because I used to own those before! :dopey: :p Good heads up though. 👍


Too funny :sly: They may as well be. If the Laserdisc masters hadn't been available I honestly think George would have sat a camcorder infront of the screen and used that :grumpy:
 
Back