Otogi: Myth of Demons (xbox)

• Thread starter kinigitt
  • 0 comments
Okay I just saw a trailer for the sequel this week and it made me want to get people onto this game, because it is overlooked but simply awesome.

Story:

You play as Raikoh, an undead warrior priest who is summoned to rid the world (in this case a hazy mythical Japan) of a recent plague of demons. It gets the job done, but you won't be attached to any characters or feel compelled to play it simply for the narrative. 7/10

Enough about the story.

Features:

You can wield a large amount of unlockable weapons, each upgradeable and unique, pick up and upgrade new magic attacks and can even equip accessories like lucky charms to up your stats. You can also completely destroy your environments (you are rewarded for it!) until there is nothing left but ruins and the broken bodies of your enemies. 7.5/10

Gameplay:

Raikoh can jump very high, and combined with the dash attack, can stay in the air indefinitely, so the potential aerial acrobatic death dealing is unlimited. Enemies are often very tough and there are lots of them, but Raikoh's more than a match for them if you play it smart. Boss battles are breathtaking, but there aren't enough of them in my opinion. Stages can be replayed whenever you want and as many times as you want, because there are a lots of hidden unlockables. 9/10

On to graphics:

This is easily one of the best looking games I have ever played. The character designs are all fantastic, the environments are rich and populated with tons of stuff to destroy, and it's all topped off with the most fantastic particle system ever. Stuff is flying all over the screen. All the time. Explosions, slashes, impacts, projectiles, magic. It's an orgy for the eyes. Framerate stutters occasionally amidst the mayhem, but it happens almost strategically. Let me explain; whenever it slows down, it is always during or after an insane attack that saturates the screen with colorful moving imagery, so it looks even better. At least that's what I think. 9.5/10

Sound:

great mythical japanese music, menu sounds, and background score. The combat sounds are good. There isn't any 5.1 or anything of the sort, but it all fits so well that it doesnt matter. 8.5/10

Overall: 9/10

Pick it up if you can, it sells for around 30$ CDN (20$ american).

Back