'Overkill' Tuning

England
In Front of GT4
Back on GT2 I used to try to buy at least two of each car; one to keep standard and one to tune. Then, if I liked the tuned car (bearing in mind I wouldn't have changed much on it) I'd get another one...and another one and tune as many as I could to get some truly great cars.

Now however, on GT4 I find that whenever I tune a car it is full out everything...I just go for it and fully tune the car using all the parts available, make suspension, brake, and gearing changes and then hit the circuit...its like I can't seem to tune a car subtly anymore...

Anyone else ever had this 'problem?'

Since GT4 doesn't have output restrictions, there's no point in holding back unless you're broke. Not to mention that the game starts you off with Sports class tires, which can contain even the Speed12 with the right tuning.

Since GT4 doesn't have output restrictions, there's no point in holding back unless you're broke. Not to mention that the game starts you off with Sports class tires, which can contain even the Speed12 with the right tuning.
Yeah, holding power back is unnecessary unless you want a challenge. And there's nothing wrong with a challenge. I don't particularly care about A-Spec points, but I can enjoy a challenge. And there a lot of places and cars that are good for getting high points. I found the NA and Turbo Sports races can provide easy triple digit point races. Though it may just be due to what I was driving.

I try to only use parts that can also be uninstalled, that way I can always return a car to stock if I want/need to.

that sounds like a good system, how well does it work if you don't mind me asking?

And as for a challenge, well they're all well and good, but sometimes even using a well-tuned car I will struggle, which is where a full blown 'overkill' tune really helps to take the pressure off. I'm not a fan of the points system, but there is a certain thrill that you get from a tight or hard-earned victory I admit, but when you're rich enough to tune one car for one series then never use it again it becomes a slightly different game...

that sounds like a good system, how well does it work if you don't mind me asking?

And as for a challenge, well they're all well and good, but sometimes even using a well-tuned car I will struggle, which is where a full blown 'overkill' tune really helps to take the pressure off. I'm not a fan of the points system, but there is a certain thrill that you get from a tight or hard-earned victory I admit, but when you're rich enough to tune one car for one series then never use it again it becomes a slightly different game...
Fair enough. Another place (Although once again, I've only tried this in one car) I've found can get you a good challenge even with a heavily modded car is the Tuning Car Grand Prix, assuming the RUF Yellow Bird. A while back, I drove a Subaru Impreza Version III sedan in that. Stage 1 weight reduction, "original" suspension, stage 2 turbo, racing muffler (Plus intercooler at some tracks), medium slicks, and a wing with max downforce. Makes the Impreza corner on rails, but still provides a good challenge against the Yellow Bird. But I kept spinning.

A while back, I drove a Subaru Impreza Version III sedan in that. Stage 1 weight reduction, "original" suspension, stage 2 turbo, racing muffler (Plus intercooler at some tracks), medium slicks, and a wing with max downforce. Makes the Impreza corner on rails, but still provides a good challenge against the Yellow Bird. But I kept spinning.
I'll give that a go and tell you how it goes :)

99% Of the time I'm racing for points, so the ability to get the maximum engine "detune" ie back to stock so I can then add ballast or lower grade tyres can often be useful, means I can use good cars for faster & slower series.
Just means I tend to avoid weight reduction, Port Polish & Engine Balancing & its easy to finish most the races without those.
I can't think of many races where I've used or needed every Upgrade to win (the Peugeot 206, Clio Cup & Opel Speedster races being the exceptions off the top of my head), if you need every upgrade and still can't win, you probably need to try using a faster car.
As for how it works I've done 95% of the game this way, races in the 200pt subsection for details.

As for the Tuning Cup: Amuse S2000 R1 with R3's & NA1, Exhaust & all non power upgrades, upgrade the NA kit if struggling. Close fun races.

So you fully modded your car for the 206, Clio and Speedster races? I believe the AI is using fully modified Speedsters for that race, so that makes sense. But I don't think full power is necessary for the 206 or Clio races. In theory, you could probably get by with just a Stage 2 NA tune for the Clio races, along with a wing because the AI is using full racing cars. Not so sure about the 206, but I doubt full power is necessary. Whatever, I won't judge you for how much power you use in events. Sometimes it's fun to drive a certain car, even if it's overpowered. The Gillet Vertigo in GT3 is overkill against almost anything other than the R390, GT-One or 787B, but it's still a ton of fun to drive regardless.

So you fully modded your car for the 206, Clio and Speedster races? I believe the AI is using fully modified Speedsters for that race, so that makes sense. But I don't think full power is necessary for the 206 or Clio races. In theory, you could probably get by with just a Stage 2 NA tune for the Clio races, along with a wing because the AI is using full racing cars. Not so sure about the 206, but I doubt full power is necessary. Whatever, I won't judge you for how much power you use in events. Sometimes it's fun to drive a certain car, even if it's overpowered. The Gillet Vertigo in GT3 is overkill against almost anything other than the R390, GT-One or 787B, but it's still a ton of fun to drive regardless.

The 206 Cup race is similar to the Speedster series, you need the car car to be pretty much maxed if you want to win, you can try it with a bone stock 206 RC if you want, let me know how you go.
For the Clio Cup, the only way to win the Clio Cup Race Car (what the AI use) is by completing the Clio cup (catch 22), so you need to use one of the V6 Clio road cars against a pack of race cars, they have about a 50HP, 200kg, Wings & Race tyres advantage over your standard car, I found I needed at least R3 Tyres & NA1 tuning to win most those races.

Latest Posts

Back