Oversteer on wheel Vs controller

• Thread starter Blair mann
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I recently just got a t300rs GT edition and I have been playing on a controller all my life and was very fast on it got 1 or 2 top tens and was always no more than 1 second slower the the best guys. My pace is slowly getting better on the wheel but still not as fast as I was on controller, my main problem is just dealing with oversteer, on controller I had no problems at all was so easy to drift and felt 100% comfortable sliding the car. But on a wheel I am really struggling with it, the controller starts to vibrate when you get some wheel spin or are about to slide but on the wheel their isn't really much feel on the pedals or through the wheel until it is to late. I really struggle with counter steering on the wheel it moves so fast and is really hard to catch and before I know it, it is flying left and right uncontrollably. I am not great on other games like assetto corsa or project cars 2 but I can atleast drift a little bit on the wheel. I just find GT so hard which is funny because it used to be the easiest with a controller. On controller I used no assists apart from ABS, I am now using 1 or 2 TC on the wheel until I get better but I really don't like it because I feel it cuts power sometimes when it shouldn't. I use 3 and 3 for the force feedback settings and 900 degrees of rotation what doesn't help, I want to use 540 in gr4 and gr3 cars but my wheel rotation always resets to 900 every loading screen it is sooo annoying is this a bug? And does anyone know how to fix it? I know some of the fast guys use CSA but I really don't want to because I feel it kinda just takes away some driver skill and kinda a cheap assist to use unless you are really bad and new to racing games.

If anyone has any different advice from "don't go on the gas to early" and all the beginner stuff because I know lol, it would really be helpful thanks.

And finally do you think GT sport is alot easier on controller? I personally think it is, it is so easy to drift on a controller like honestly sometimes it's like driving on rails. On other games like assetto corsa and project cars 2 I am way faster on the wheel and they are really hard on controller but on GT it is the other way around for me.

Thanks for reading guys I would really like to hear what you guys think.

80 hrs on controller. Tried a wheel for 20 laps on weekend. I was 2 thenths slower on miyabi... In time i know i can match my pace. Wheel felt so much more consistant.. i used to run iracing with a g27 a couple years ago so i do have some experience.. but i felt comfortable with my pace quickly

I have a G29 and maybe it also applied to your T300, but for Gr. 3 and 4 it actually calibrates to 540 degrees. Notice that when you spin out, the wheel does not rotate all the way in the opposite direction, but rather stops at 540. You can steer all the way to 900, but past 540 it's not gonna do anything.

GT, unlike PCars and AC, tries to reach for a wider audience, so it's only natural that controller users should have an easier time in GT than PCars and AC

What cars are you using? I found that Gr. 3 and 4 cars tend to baby you all the way to the limits of their grip, so you don't really know that they're struggling until they've lost it. Road cars would telegraph what's happening much more, so that's a good place to start.

Yeah I noticed it calibrated to 540 in the gr1 cars today but I don't think it was with the gr3 and gr4 cars. On the t300 the light flashes to indicate what rotation you are on and I put it on 3 flashes so 540 and when the race starts are I go on track it goes to 900 four flashes or even 1080 5 flashes. And I can tell a difference because I need to turn the wheel alot more. I will play around with it more tomorrow.

Yeah I noticed it calibrated to 540 in the gr1 cars today but I don't think it was with the gr3 and gr4 cars. On the t300 the light flashes to indicate what rotation you are on and I put it on 3 flashes so 540 and when the race starts are I go on track it goes to 900 four flashes or even 1080 5 flashes. And I can tell a difference because I need to turn the wheel alot more. I will play around with it more tomorrow.

It's broken on the T300. It always goes back to 1080 or 900. Even if you go to the pits - when you come back out, sometimes you're again on 1080 or 900.

Simply stupid.

Remember: you need to counter steer very fast and very strong ! This is vital. So you need some “brutality” when counter steering. Try this and it will probably work better ? Maybe a video from me would be usefull to show you what I mean. I hope you understand my words.

And thank you for this thread I am using it in another thread 👍

Yeah I'll try being more aggressive with it, usually I just let the wheel do most of the work and them grab it when I have counter steered enough then feed the lock of myself.

Firstly, it's going to take some time to get used to using a wheel... maybe a month or 2 until you start to get properly comfortable. Just accept this, and keep practicing.

As far as oversteer is concerned, it's much easier to manage big angles with a controller as you can flick the lock around much faster than you can with a wheel... most people struggle to control big angles with a wheel... particularly as the set ups used in tracing aren't really suitable for drifting.

As you get more competent with the wheel, you'll start to be able to feel the oversteer developing through a combination of what you feel in the steering, what you hear from the tyres and what you see the car is doing - bumper cam is best for this. Once you get to this point, you should be able to act earlier, and prevent big, uncontrollable slides from developing - once they do, your lap is pretty much FUBAR.

Key to avoiding big oversteer is to control the front end of the car - if you push the front in to understeer, and then try to get on the gas, you will oversteer... the more steering angle you have applied, the more the car will snap, and the harder it will be to catch. Key to going fast is to find the grip limit, and stay at it... if you slide the car (front of rear), you will lose time/speed.

Watch some of the top 10 qualifying replays from the daily races and see how smooth they are... try to mimic this and build speed progressively.

A good car/track combination to try to practice managing oversteer...

Toyota GT2000
Comfort hard tyres
Rear toe 0
Front camber 0.5
Custom LSD 10/20/5
Brake balance -4 (rear)

Nurburgring (full track, not GP)

This combo is lovely... with toe and LSD decel removed it has a nice oversteer balance in to the corners (momentum oversteer), and on comfort tyres, with stock power and stock soft suspension, it slides really progressively on exits without getting too lairy.

There's a replay in my library.

It's a big jump from controller to wheel as you can go lock to lock very fast with a controller while a wheel actually takes a lot more skill and experience to do the same maneuver. It will take practice. I wasn't aware of the rotation issues within the game. That really is annoying.

Yeah but it's annoying because real gt3 cars don't have 1080 degree of rotation they only have about 540 it feel a bit unnatural turning the wheel so much in a racecar.

Race cars don't have 1080 in GTS... there's a soft lock on them which reduce the steering rotation.

You can't rely on the wheel to make the countersteer as it doesn't move quick enough with the motors. So you need to actively countersteer when the rear starts to slide.

I sound like an old record with this comment, but spend an hour in the drifting section of the game and you will get accustomed to the audio and visual cues.
In a race I think I start reacting to oversteer when I hear the revs suddenly increase.

I got my wheel stand made and spent a few hours playing and wow, what a difference it is going from controller to wheel. It's like a whole new game and I need to relearn everything. Jumped into a gr4 race and was doing terrible so I backed out and went to the Clubman cup, better to save my ratings and practice offline than potentially ruin other people's race while I relearn how to play

Use CSA on strong, it sorts all that out for you provided you don't spin on purpose.

It has no downsides other than the knowledge you're using such a powerful aid.

I got my wheel stand made and spent a few hours playing and wow, what a difference it is going from controller to wheel. It's like a whole new game and I need to relearn everything. Jumped into a gr4 race and was doing terrible so I backed out and went to the Clubman cup, better to save my ratings and practice offline than potentially ruin other people's race while I relearn how to play
Yeah I agree mate totally different I don't have any issues with normal steering but I am not as good with throttle control and counter steering at the moment.

Yes, I played the GT league races for a couple of days just to get used to my wheel, before jumping back into sport mode.

Back