Oz

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 5 comments
  • 480 views

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Messages
13,827
Australia
Down under
Although it ended a while back, this series still remains as my favourite of all time. I was very disappointed when it was cancelled, and worse still when our TV stations didnt show the final 4 episodes.

My parents said it was "too violent" but I thought it was an excellent representation of what a maximum security prison must be like.

No co-incidence for me that it was by the same Exec Producers as Homocide: Life on the Street.

Did any of you watch it when it was on?
 
I just found this thread today, and interestingly enough it was by accident. I tried searching for "oz" in titles only and got no matches...I am guessing I need to be case-sensitive?

I was going to start my own thread, but as it appears there aren't many GTP users who are interested in it. No matter, let's just us two talk it over!

I just started to watch the series a week ago, when I rented the first DVD from my local Blockbuster. Needless to say I was caught up in the series right away, and have just finished season two this evening. It is so good. It makes me feel depressed, angry, actually SORRY for these prisoners, every emotion under the sun!

Who's your favourite character / storyline / subplot? ANyone? Anyone? Beuller?
 
Its been a while since I watched it. I remember rooting for Beecher and O'Reilly though. I think the second series (or third - i cant remember), the one after the riot was the best.

I dont want to discuss too much - i dont want to spoil the restfor you ;)
 
Well what are we gonna talk about then? Beecher was my favourite character in season one, because he was a regular guy walking among monsters. Then he went crazy, and I was still rooting for him when he smashed the glass into Schillinger's eye and then beat him with the dumbell weight and took a dump on his face. But in season two he was hell-bent on ruining Schillinger's life, and for some reason I started feeling sorry for Schillinger instead. Then Schillinger created the plot to have Beecher fall in love with his new cellmate (don't remember the guy's name) and then pulled the rug out from under Beecher and together Schillinger and the cellmate broke both Beecher's arms and his legs. At the end of Season two, where I am at right now, Beecher is lying in a hospital bed with casts all over him, absolutely fuming mad. And guess what? I'm rooting for Beecher again! That's what is so good about this program, the way it fiddles with and manipulates your emotions!

I don't buy O'Reilly's story though. He was a major a-hole from the beginning, and now we're supposed to care about him getting breast cancer and having his brother get thrown in Oz with him. Everything bad that's happened to O'Reilly and his brother I think he deserves.

I also hate the Latino guy, and believe it or not I can't remember his name!! The young guy who's baby died in season one and he went a little crazy and cut his face up. Now he's a harda** and walks around like a tough guy, and he let the prisoners take the priest down during the riot. Not cool.

I really am starting to like Syed better. When he refused the Governor's pardon, I thought it was one of the best moments in the entire season.
 
I can't remember much because I haven't seen it in years. But i really liked it. I want one of those tattoos. It was a shame they showed it a 1am but I guess thats the best time for a show like that.
 
DQuaN
I can't remember much because I haven't seen it in years. But i really liked it. I want one of those tattoos. It was a shame they showed it a 1am but I guess thats the best time for a show like that.
Yeah it was pretty rough, like the scene where they crucify the priest / child molestor...
 
Back