Pace notes, any tips

• Thread starter John G
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I am finding it difficult to keep on top of pace notes especially when there is a very fast flurry combining corners, crests, and distance markers. I cant seem to string them all together to project the route ahead of me.
I have them as early as possible, because otherwise i find some calls come in too late and i miss my braking or turn in points. I also have the pace notes coming out the ds4 controller at max volume and i turn the sound down a bit from the tv.

Any mind tips / tricks to help? Or just more and more practise.

When there's a big flurry of corners my brain gets a little flustered too, but there's ways to combat it. When it's a series of 6 and 5 type turns, I figure I can just drive smoothly through them, I don't push I just maintain my speed. But I don't pay too much attention to the notes, I just listen out for a 4 or below. Or if it's a lot of different things, just try and remember the worst sounding bits that will throw you off.

Getting your notes too early can be as bad as too late,Causing the confusion you describe.
Disable HUD so the notes take priority when sensory overload kicks in.
Link pace notes to gears mentally.
Play stage so often you can turn pace notes off.
Frank Kelly's daughter Lauren has a perfect way of delivering pace notes on tight stages considering how fast Frank likes to drive.(Have suggested this to CM's).

Last edited:
Getting your notes too early can be as bad as too late,Causing the confusion you describe.
Disable HUD so the notes take priority when sensory overload kicks in.
Link pace notes to gears mentally.
Frank Kelly's daughter Lauren has a perfect way of delivering pace notes on tight stages considering how fast Frank likes to drive.(Have suggested this to CM's).

I didn't know Father Jack was a rally driver. :P

When there's a big flurry of corners my brain gets a little flustered too, but there's ways to combat it. When it's a series of 6 and 5 type turns, I figure I can just drive smoothly through them, I don't push I just maintain my speed. But I don't pay too much attention to the notes, I just listen out for a 4 or below. Or if it's a lot of different things, just try and remember the worst sounding bits that will throw you off.
Thanks yeah i have started doing this, listening out for the low numbers as a priority as then i can get on the brakes in time.
Another problem is that i will strongly disagree with my codriver on the rating of 6 corners quite a lot (normally from the trees or on my roof after what i thought was a quick lift required a heavy brake and downshift) but that's a different discussion!

Thanks yeah i have started doing this, listening out for the low numbers as a priority as then i can get on the brakes in time.
Another problem is that i will strongly disagree with my codriver on the rating of 6 corners quite a lot (normally from the trees or on my roof after what i thought was a quick lift required a heavy brake and downshift) but that's a different discussion!

That happens to me as well occasionally, but it's very rare and happens on lower speed corners, like him saying it's a left 3 and I would call it a "3 tightens" or even a 2. It's a shame that these games don't come with some sort of editing function for pacenotes.

The best suggestion I have is to take the pacenotes with a pinch of salt, only trust a flat left or left 6 if you can actually see the bend and where it leads. A common situation is if he says 6 left over crest and you can't really see where you're going past the crest and are just trusting blindly, lift the throttle slightly or even put your foot ready to touch the brakes, on other words, brace for impact, this way you'll be half ready for anything and will lose at most half a second. He'll never call a 6 where it should be a 3, at most he calls a 6 where it should be a 5 or 6 tightens (from my experience).

Also sometimes he may call a left 6 into left 2 or something, this sort of situation often seems like one turn but it's actually two and you only processed the 6 left and thought the 2 was coming later. Opposite to a 6 long where you can trust it won't tighten bad on you.

Also you should look for dangerous stuff around the place you're putting your car before the turns, sometimes you might just get a wheel on the side of the road or on an uneven surface (stage degradation is a real factor in this game now) and it has the potential to make any 6 into a mess.

But yeah, all in all, this pacenote system is complicated, I just wished I could put on Robert Reid from RBR, his calls felt much simpler to me.

Thanks
I have started to take much more notice of "tight" - the narrow track really has a big impact in the speed you can take. Also, turns over crest I'm treating as one number lower to get the entry speed right so as not to jump out wide.

I thought about doing this on many rally games and if the you play the game enough it is unavoidable on the shorter stages. But isn't it kind of cheating?

Rally drivers in the real world can't do this apart from specific famous stages like Ouninpohja. Most rallies have 20+ stages and there are 14ish rally locations each season. And when watching WRC I can see that an incorrect or misheard pace note often ends with the driver off the road. So doesn't this reduce the realism?

Not criticising your suggestion, just interested in the debate.

With around 2000 hours on Dirt Rally (1&2.0) on both PC & PS there is not a stage I don't know,Can't change that so if that's cheating.. ...Dirt 4 with it's replicated tiles needed no pace notes.
WRC drivers test before events,pre-run twice and then give it the berries.Blind ( no pre-run) Rallies are rare today.
There is footage of drivers carrying on at pace after their co-driver has either lost the page or radio troubles make it unable to talk.
First thing I do when playing a new rally game is turn off all the crap on the screen (hud) and adjust the co-driver volume down to a conversation level.
And then practise.

Esa-pekka Lappi said that WRC 9 pacenotes are so crap that you have to learn the stages to be fast, DR2.0 is the same deal.
It would be awesome if you could make your own pacenotes, that's the next step for rally games.

I think there was a rally game where you could edit the pacenotes, not sure, can't remember.

The notes in DR2 could definitely do with a little editing. Yesterday in DR2 co-driver called "4 right over jump" which should have been "jump into 4 right." That made a right mess of the delta s4 haha. The pace notes seem as accurate as older rally games (I put many thousands of hours into the first 3 colin mcrae games but that was 20 years ago, not played much since) but because the driving simulation is so much more accurate, the rare inaccuracies in the pace notes make a much bigger difference (until you've learned the stages of course). I'm only 30 hours into DR2 so far, trying to learn the stages, turned off the HUD, any more tips?

Back