Pad vs. Wheel-- control setups to mitigate the difference?

Main Question: Are pad users competitive with wheel users in races with tire wear?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
United States
California
Hi all, I don't play GTS but I'm going to make the (possibly incorrect) assumption that GT7 will have a similar handling and tire wear model. As someone who skipped out on GTS somewhat due to incompatibility with my Logitech G27 (which I no longer have), I'm very much looking forward to GT7, but it seems evident (and understandable) that gamepad users may suffer more tire wear than wheel users in GTS. But I wanted to get at least a few more opinions, so:
  • Do you think pad users are strongly competitive in Sport Mode races with tire wear?
  • Do you use control setups or driving style/habits that might reduce tire wear when using pad?
  • Are there tuning options or certain cars that might be easier on tires when using pad?
P.S. Since I don't have GTS, I can't simply check this on my own. Are the controls very remappable and configurable (deadzone/sensitivity for individual axes, etc.)?

Hi all, I don't play GTS but I'm going to make the (possibly incorrect) assumption that GT7 will have a similar handling and tire wear model. As someone who skipped out on GTS somewhat due to incompatibility with my Logitech G27 (which I no longer have), I'm very much looking forward to GT7, but it seems evident (and understandable) that gamepad users may suffer more tire wear than wheel users in GTS. But I wanted to get at least a few more opinions, so:
  • Do you think pad users are strongly competitive in Sport Mode races with tire wear?
  • Do you use control setups or driving style/habits that might reduce tire wear when using pad?
  • Are there tuning options or certain cars that might be easier on tires when using pad?
P.S. Since I don't have GTS, I can't simply check this on my own. Are the controls very remappable and configurable (deadzone/sensitivity for individual axes, etc.)?

• There is a disadvantage in sport mode if you use controller in terms of tire wear. Tire wear is only a disadvantage on the fronts, since there is a lack of steering precision. Rears are fine.
  • Sport mode is fixed setups. So if given a choice, pick a car that has less front wear. If you try and manage too much you'll just end up under driving the car. Brake balance change is your only tool per se.
  • Don't really tune since Sport mode is fixed setup. So don't have the answer here.

Steering sensitivity is the only thing configurable. Doesn't make a huge difference, but yes lower sensitivity could help. But all the DS4 users I know prefer max sensitivity.

• The controller can match the wheel in terms of one-lap pace on the majority of combos. In high downforce, as in Gr.1 and open wheel cars, I still choose to use pad despite having a wheel, unless there's banked corners in which case pad is a no-go (it seems to lose out in corners like the Maggiore banked hairpin, it's negligible in things like Gr.3 but really apparent in the likes of the SF19 and X2019). Tire wear is the issue in race conditions because you tend to scrub the fronts too much.
  • I haven't heard of any pad settings that help with tire wear. What you can do while driving is brake more gently, using about 80-90% force, and avoid going full lock through long corners (this is kinda track specific like the Kyoto tracks). If you successfully pull these off you'll definitely notice an improvement in tire wear. It's just a bit more of a conscious effort than it would be on a wheel, at least in my experience, so it may be a little distracting until you get the hang of it. That said, I would still feel helpless on pad if tire wear was something ridiculous like x15, but people who are better than me could manage ;)
  • No answer from me either as far as tuning goes (I'm clueless lol), car-wise you'll probably want to stay away from cars that are really bad on fronts though.

Last edited:
Back