Page problem.

• Thread starter CBH
  • 27 comments

CBH

(Banned)
Australia
Adelaide
On my 2 window 10 desktop computers I have got this problem below, and it looks the same on other Threads when I go around the forum and I look at the top of the page, @Jordan how can I fix this thank you.

Capture.PNG

@fordlaser - I have a Windows 10 machine also and I don't have that problem so it's not necessarily the OS. I've tried to replicate it in Firefox, IE, Chrome and Edge to no avail. I'd recommend clearing your cache and reloading the page with CTRL+F5 and see if that helps.

TB
@fordlaser - I have a Windows 10 machine also and I don't have that problem so it's not necessarily the OS. I've tried to replicate it in Firefox, IE, Chrome and Edge to no avail. I'd recommend clearing your cache and reloading the page with CTRL+F5 and see if that helps.
I also have window 7 in my other room and that does the same thing as well, I have done what you said to do it is still the same, but on my Tablet everything is fine.

Ah, OK, that explains it. Can you check to see which version you're using? Here's how to find that out.
Internet Explorer 11, I went to the Microsoft edge browser and the forum is fine so it must be an Internet Explorer 11issue.

Edit: when I go to gtplanet forum, I will go through Microsoft edge browser than Internet Explorer browser.

Last edited:
Possibly another zoom issue like I had with the editor toolbar?

What do you mean when you mention zoom issue ?.

In the picture you posted above, see where it says 185% in the bottom right corner? That means you're zoomed in (quite a lot) and that's probably what's causing your issue.

Most modern browsers can zoom in & out by pressing Ctrl/+ or Ctrl/- Try pressing Ctrl/- a few times to see if it resolves your issue.

Wiz
In the picture you posted above, see where it says 185% in the bottom right corner? That means you're zoomed in (quite a lot) and that's probably what's causing your issue.

Most modern browsers can zoom in & out by pressing Ctrl/+ or Ctrl/- Try pressing Ctrl/- a few times to see if it resolves your issue.
I tried it at a100% zoom still the same on window 10 and on my window 7.

Hey @Jordan any ideas on how to fix this problem on my windows 7, on my windows 10 I can use my Microsoft edge browser to view the wonderful forum with no issues what so ever.

Hey @Jordan any ideas on how to fix this problem on my windows 7, on my windows 10 I can use my Microsoft edge browser to view the wonderful forum with no issues what so ever.
The fastest solution would be to use a different browser on your Windows 7 machine; I would recommend downloading Google Chrome. It will give you the best experience not just on GTPlanet, but everywhere around the web.

I will take a look at fixing this bug for IE11, but it will likely not something I will be able to work on for a few weeks.

The fastest solution would be to use a different browser on your Windows 7 machine; I would recommend downloading Google Chrome. It will give you the best experience not just on GTPlanet, but everywhere around the web.

I will take a look at fixing this bug for IE11, but it will likely not something I will be able to work on for a few weeks.
I have got Google Chrome but it makes no difference, just take your time on this because I can work around it 👍.

I have got Google Chrome but it makes no difference
Whoa, really? It looks exactly like what you see in the screenshot you posted above? I'm not quite sure how that could happen in Chrome.

Could you confirm your Chrome version? You can check this by typing in "chrome://version" into Chrome's address bar.

Jordan, did you change the format? Because I'm also experiencing problems with the visuals of the site. I'm running the current version of Chrome on my laptop, and some goofy browzer on my Amazon tablet called "Silk", which actually works really well. But everything looks like a mixture of a mobile site and a desktop site. Emojis no longer show up in either of my applications. Basically I'm wondering if you've made changes that are just going to take time to get the bugs out, or did this happen without your intention?

Whoa, really? It looks exactly like what you see in the screenshot you posted above? I'm not quite sure how that could happen in Chrome.

Could you confirm your Chrome version? You can check this by typing in "chrome://version" into Chrome's address bar.
I just downloaded the latest version of chrome not so long ago, nothing happens for windows 7 or on my windows 10, but when I go to the Microsoft edge browser for window 10 the page is fine, I am lost to why this happens

Jordan, did you change the format? Because I'm also experiencing problems with the visuals of the site. I'm running the current version of Chrome on my laptop, and some goofy browzer on my Amazon tablet called "Silk", which actually works really well. But everything looks like a mixture of a mobile site and a desktop site. Emojis no longer show up in either of my applications. Basically I'm wondering if you've made changes that are just going to take time to get the bugs out, or did this happen without your intention?
A site redesign was launched on Tuesday. I'm not sure what you mean by a "mixture of a mobile and desktop site", but if you could please post screenshots of what you believe is displaying incorrectly, I would love to take a look.
I just downloaded the latest version of chrome not so long ago, nothing happens for windows 7 or on my windows 10, but when I go to the Microsoft edge browser for window 10 the page is fine, I am lost to why this happens
Could you post another screenshot of how the site appears for you in Chrome?

This is how the message box appears on my PC.

The other change that I don't care for (notice I don't call it a "problem") is that when posting a message on a mobile device, in landscape view, the keyboard image now blocks out the text window. It's not possible to see what you're typing in the text box - at least that's what I'm experiencing on my phone and tablet. Thanks so much for entertaining my messages, I know change is difficult. And believe me, I understand that I might be missing some things. I just want to make sure this site is as user friendly as possible. Believe it or not, I spend more time on GTPlanet than any other sites.

Thanks again, and, where's my XL t-shirts? :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20170610_060959536_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20170610_060959536_BURST001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is how the message box appears on my PC.

The other change that I don't care for (notice I don't call it a "problem") is that when posting a message on a mobile device, in landscape view, the keyboard image now blocks out the text window. It's not possible to see what you're typing in the text box - at least that's what I'm experiencing on my phone and tablet. Thanks so much for entertaining my messages, I know change is difficult. And believe me, I understand that I might be missing some things. I just want to make sure this site is as user friendly as possible. Believe it or not, I spend more time on GTPlanet than any other sites.

Thanks again, and, where's my XL t-shirts? :lol:

Hello fellow Michigander!

Your message box issue is the same problem I reported here - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/text-editor-toolbar-issues.356483/

Turns out it's a zoom issue. I'm guessing you have GTP set for 110% zoom like I did. Knock it down to 100% (by pressing Ctrl/-) and that should fix it.

Could you post another screenshot of how the site appears for you in Chrome?
In Google Chrome the site is fine for windows 7 and windows 10 without using IE 11 below.
Capture.PNG008.PNG

When I am using the Chrome browser for windows 7 and for window 10 on IE 11 it looks like this below and it is still the same as if I was using IE 11 browser , I hope I explain it well because I don't know too much about computers.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
In Google Chrome the site is fine for windows 7 and windows 10 without using IE 11 below.
View attachment 652880
When I am using the Chrome browser for windows 7 and for window 10 on IE 11 it looks like this below and it is still the same as if I was using IE 11 browser , I hope I explain it well because I don't know too much about computers.
View attachment 652883
@Jordan could it be possible that IE 11 is misinterpreting some of your CSS/HTML and putting that bottom section in the wrong place?

Not sure it will help but its more for @Jordan or whoever is helping him editing the site?

https://validator.w3.org/nu/
Type in the address of gtplanet. "https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/"

Error: The element footer must not appear as a descendant of the footer element.
https://validator.w3.org/nu/?showsource=yes&showoutline=yes&showimagereport=yes&checkerrorpages=yes&doc=https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/

I played around with the footer and could get it to appear in different places or clear it from the page totally.
Untitled-1.png

Hope its of some help?
And please I understand its not a priority and would also like to point out to anyone reading I use a plethora of browsers and software.
Don,t need educating on that or being talked down too. (Just the way I feel. :()
Just trying to help and while am it, may I ask polity for the other thread I created to be deleted since the information is irrelevant and not of much use since I have been pointed to this thread.
Thanks Chris.

EDIT:
Could I also point out that not very far down the page it has a distinctive change of colour from grey to white, Presumably the background colour.
You can see it Cleary over near the link to "project cars" Not sure if its been mentioned sorry if it has.

Untitled-2.png

Last edited:
Hey @Jordan I have been using Microsoft Edge browser all the time when I have been visiting this forum with no problems what so ever.
With Microsoft Explorer browser are you going to look into it and see why this happens.

I will, but to be frank with you, it's not a priority for me and Internet Explorer is not an officially supported browser for the site, and a very small minority of people use IE to access GTPlanet. The problems occur because Internet Explorer is an old browser which does not support the modern web design technologies that were used to build the new site. When it sees the contemporary code and markup, it doesn't know how to interpret or display it properly, so you get a broken webpage.

I am going to look into ways to make the site be "less broken" in the most recent versions of IE, but you will likely never get the same experience in IE that you would in Edge or other modern browsers even after I apply these patches.

I will, but to be frank with you, it's not a priority for me and Internet Explorer is not an officially supported browser for the site, and a very small minority of people use IE to access GTPlanet. The problems occur because Internet Explorer is an old browser which does not support the modern web design technologies that were used to build the new site. When it sees the contemporary code and markup, it doesn't know how to interpret or display it properly, so you get a broken webpage.

I am going to look into ways to make the site be "less broken" in the most recent versions of IE, but you will likely never get the same experience in IE that you would in Edge or other modern browsers even after I apply these patches.
After reading what you have just said about IE, I am happy to bypass IE now when I visit GTPlanet, so you do not have to worry about this anymore and thank you for having the best forum on the planet :gtpflag:.

After reading what you have just said about IE, I am happy to bypass IE now when I visit GTPlanet, so you do not have to worry about this anymore and thank you for having the best forum on the planet :gtpflag:.
I think that is your best option — not only because it will give you the best experience on GTPlanet, but it will provide you with a safer browsing experience around the web.

Old web browsers not only have difficulty rendering newer websites, but they also tend to have more security flaws. Microsoft themselves ended support for all but the most recent version of IE back in January of 2016, which means they will not be updated with any security patches and are dangerous to use.

Back