Paint and Decal Advice

• Thread starter cudwieser
  • 3 comments
Ireland
Ireland
Paints and decals can be a tricky affair, be it placements or just simple inspiration. Even agreeing when a design is complete or needs some addition.

As such I am setting this thread up as a general advice topic to help provide inspiration, or provide direction on troubling formatting, be it an awkward shape or design or just to help finish a piece.

Ultimately your design will be your own and all advice will be their to assist you to complete your project.

To start I'd like some ideas on what can be added to my Boss to complete the design.

Here is the car

Oh boy! a topic that I can philosophize about until I create a total wall 'O' text that no one will want to read! LOL

You're right, wraps can be tricky. One man's Mona Lisa is another man's laughing stock. I'm proud of my artistic skills just like everyone else is proud of their own, but that doesn't mean that my skills are good and another person's are bad, and vice versa. Tastes are different.

Here's how I personally approach a design: First and foremost, I want to do something original. I'm not into copying a real-world race car wrap. To me there's no challenge in seeing if I can place a decal in the same spot on a real car, the challenge is creativity. That being said, having a theme in mind to work from helps drive the design. For instance, in the past I have designed wraps around the names of Greek or Roman mythological characters.

As soon as I get a chance I will post some examples of my prior efforts, not just in NFS'16.

As for your Mustang, may I ask what 'theme' you are going for?

I almost always suggest designing graphics in a way that accentuates the characteristics of a certain vehicle. For instance, when it comes to old cars that are typically longer and boxier than newer ones, I design my graphics to make that characteristic more pronounced. Below is an example of my RoadRunner in Prostreet:

nfsProStreet012_small.jpg
nfsProStreet013_small.jpg

For your Mustang above, the horizontal lines of the car are very strong, much like the RoadRunner. You might try designing some graphics that harmonize with those body lines rather than contradict them (like super curvy ones might).

Just a total personal note, or preference, but I much rather prefer a more simple design, and definitely not a fan of the chrome!. To me, less is more. It can say so much that a car with obnoxious amounts of bright chrome decals could never. Sometimes "you say it best, when you say nothing at all".

Back