Paint Chips: Checkmarks next to colours you already have when buying a Car

• Thread starter Akwaaba
  • 11 comments
United Kingdom
London/Malaysia/Tunisia
Waizon/v8stage1/
When you purchase a car from the dealerships, you have no idea when buying the car which paint chips you already have!

Even better, if paint chips don't come with the car, that you are aware before purchasing!

Better to buy the car with a paint chip you DON'T already have, and increase the range of paint chips you have available. Re-spray later on if desired, since paint chips don't get used up!

Last edited:
Coming back to GT6 after a 7 month absence - and starting again, I have to confess I am surprised this isn't more popular - it isn't easy to build up a decent range of paint chips

🤬 yes! While it's not really my place, I'd like to add a means to better sort through what you've got (filter make) and source identification (i.e. "Brilliant Black (Mazda RX-7 Type R Spirit R '02)").

(Note: 2351 paint chips possessed currently--no 15th Anniversary DLC.)

🤬 yes! While it's not really my place, I'd like to add a means to better sort through what you've got (filter make) and source identification (i.e. "Brilliant Black (Mazda RX-7 Type R Spirit R '02)").

(Note: 2351 paint chips possessed currently--no 15th Anniversary DLC.)

I have just restarted GT6, and so only have a few paints - even so - it isn't easy to keep track of what I need to expand the paint chips I have. Admittedly, it doesn't help that I keep buying cars in only Red, Blue or Yellow!!

Coming back to GT6 after a 7 month absence - and starting again, I have to confess I am surprised this isn't more popular - it isn't easy to build up a decent range of paint chips
I bought GT6 recently but after realising that (except seasonals) buying/winning new car and choosing new paint is the only way to unlock it, I was shocked that there are no checkmarks. I guess I could create my own database but that's just silly...

I bought GT6 recently but after realising that (except seasonals) buying/winning new car and choosing new paint is the only way to unlock it, I was shocked that there are no checkmarks. I guess I could create my own database but that's just silly...
Then call me silly. I kept track of all the cars I bought, and in what colors I bought them, and am now creating a spreadsheet with the order provided in the respray shop. It's a pain, but hopefully it will allow me to get to colors quicker by knowing where they are on the list. Hopefully...

Then call me silly. I kept track of all the cars I bought, and in whawalors I bought them, and am now creating a spreadsheet with the order provided in the respray shop. It's a pain, but hopefully it will allow me to get to colors quicker by knowing where they are on the list. Hopefully...
It's a good idea, it's just silly that we have to do that to know which of the paint chips we already have and which we don't. Since they decided that all paint chips have to be unlocked, how about a structure that makes it possible and convinient? Just simple checkmarks would do. And it's not like there is tons of programming to do that.

I also think that getting even one new extra paint chip for daily login is a good idea. That would be encouraging! And maybe something like random (new) paint chip for some credits.

I actually like the idea of unlocking paint chips, it's just not executed properly

Some of the necessary programming has probably been done, look at the rewards indicator checks for seasonal events. I'm not sure how I feel about bonus paints, particularly with the lack of information currently available and the inability to sort what you've got--by date acquired would help in this instance, and I have no doubt some people would go bat 🤬 crazy over the ability to sort by date used and/or frequently used.

I just came to this forum to add this exact feature request. I'm only at about ~405 cars in my garage right now, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to remember which colors I currently own. I usually only drive Premium cars, but I am such a huge fan of Audi that I just decided to go buy every single Standard Audi that I don't currently own.

It would be very simple for PD to add a feature where it lists the available colors for the particular car you are considering in a drop box, like it currently does, but then place an "X" in a column after the name of the color to signify that you do not receive a paint chip and a check mark to indicate that you already own that paint chip. Or something along those lines.

@TexRex: Forgive me for being so bold...but would there be any chance of you being interested in sharing the spreadsheet that you've begun working on? I would completely understand if you did not want to share it -- I'm just lazy and thinking that it might be easier to delete colors from a copy of the spreadsheet, those that I do not own, versus beginning from scratch. Plus, I am not very good with spreadsheets and anything I created would probably be very ugly.

Forgive me for being so bold...but would there be any chance of you being interested in sharing the spreadsheet that you've begun working on?
Not a bold request at all. Actually, I'm working on something a little more comprehensive [by way of a new game on a new user partition on the PS3] that I'll be happy to make available to GTP users. I'd only ask for patience, since it's meant buying every car with a chip available and determining its location in the paint shop color list.

Edit: I'm up to nearly 1200 chips with Toyota and Mazda complete and am just cracking into the GT-Rs (buying in order of price, lowest to highest) in the Nissan dealership. A large number of the smaller dealerships (Callaway, Fisker, Mercury, Tesla, Ferrari, etc.) have been harvested.

Last edited:
Not a bold request at all. Actually, I'm working on something a little more comprehensive [by way of a new game on a new user partition on the PS3] that I'll be happy to make available to GTP users. I'd only ask for patience, since it's meant buying every car with a chip available and determining its location in the paint shop color list.
I can absolutely wait patiently... Thank you, TexRex!! I look forward to seeing what you've come up with... 👍

I realize that this thread is very old but am hoping that some sort of conclusion regarding paint chips came to fruition. I know that for example when you buy any RUF you don't get a paint chip and there are many that have the same result which you don't find out until you have already bought the car. There were also a number (who knows how many) that were prizes in Races and Super Laps. I got the AE edition of GT6 that came with certain paint chips but can't find a list of what those colors were. There have been several threads concerning paint chips and I've tried to find as many as I could. There is a purple that I am trying to find that comes on the Infinity Vision GT car called Deep Purple. I bought the car but it did not give me the paint chip. There was a period of time that because I got in on the money glitch at the very beginning of the game I bought well over 100 cars just for the paint chips. Another of PD's 🤬 idiot lack of sense is you have to go through your own paint chips and count them as I have not seen anywhere the total number of paint chips I actually have. Any help would be very much appreciated.:cheers:

Latest Posts

Back