Paint chips...

• Thread starter SchumiJr
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
Schumijr
I bought a Shelby Cobra in Guardsmen Blue with white Le Mans stripes thinking I may be able to apply this scheme to my GT-350R. When I went to the paint booth to give it a try the paint chip didn't show up as an option. I went back to the garage, got back into the Cobra, and went back to the paint booth to see the Guardsmen Blue w/ stripes selected under the solid colors tab. Just to see what would happen, I painted the Cobra in a color that most closely resembled bare aluminum. Once completed the Guardsmen Blue w/ stripes chip is gone. I'm now stuck with a Cobra and no hope of getting my originally purchased car color back.

Has anyone else run into this? I have seen posts before where I think an Alfa chip or maybe it was Holden to make a red GT-350 w white stripes. But that is really poor planning if I can't return to an originally purchased color.

I bought a Shelby Cobra in Guardsmen Blue with white Le Mans stripes thinking I may be able to apply this scheme to my GT-350R. When I went to the paint booth to give it a try the paint chip didn't show up as an option. I went back to the garage, got back into the Cobra, and went back to the paint booth to see the Guardsmen Blue w/ stripes selected under the solid colors tab. Just to see what would happen, I painted the Cobra in a color that most closely resembled bare aluminum. Once completed the Guardsmen Blue w/ stripes chip is gone. I'm now stuck with a Cobra and no hope of getting my originally purchased car color back.

Has anyone else run into this? I have seen posts before where I think an Alfa chip or maybe it was Holden to make a red GT-350 w white stripes. But that is really poor planning if I can't return to an originally purchased color.

You can't get a paint chip on cars with stripes at the dealership - you need to buy the same car without the stripes in Guardsman Blue for example to get the chip.

And if a car doesn't have the option of being purchased without stripes (Ford GT500 e.g.) then you can't get the chip at all.

You can't get a paint chip on cars with stripes at the dealership - you need to buy the same car without the stripes in Guardsman Blue for example to get the chip.

And if a car doesn't have the option of being purchased without stripes (Ford GT500 e.g.) then you can't get the chip at all.
If I bought the car blue with white stripes I should always be able to put the original color back on the car. :( it doesn't make sense to buy a solid color car to get a striped chip.

If I bought the car blue with white stripes I should always be able to put the original color back on the car. :( it doesn't make sense to buy a solid color car to get a striped chip.

You can't get a striped chip. It's just the way it is.

Its not just striped cars you have to watch out for, the McLaren and RUFs won't even come with a paint chip! There are others too.

Here is a rule of thumb I guess.
Stripes and Liveries cannot be recreated in the paint booth. If the car already has stripes, those will show up in tandem with the color you chose.
Also if the color you choose looks like this []-- That means you wont get that color, as it has no name.
As for the McLarens and RUFs I have no idea.

Back