PAL vs NTSC...?

• Thread starter Nizmo814
  • 17 comments
I know many of you will find this a dumb question, but I haven't found anything with the "search" feature of this forum.

What is the difference between the PAL version of GT4 and the NTSC version?
What version do I have? I've got the one with a Ford GT with the bonnet tilted back.
What does PAL and NTSC stand for?:dunce:
Are there any other versions other than PAL and NTSC?

Yeah I guess that's it.
I'm @ 84.5% complete and stuck with that bloody mission 34. Damn that SLR!

PAL = Phase Alternating Line
NTSC = National Television Standards Committee

You have the version that it says on the box - it'll say PAL, NTSC-J or NTSC-U/C. Seeing as you live in Canada and the TV standard in Canada is NTSC, you'll have the NTSC-U/C version in all likelihood (U/C meaning US/Canada).

There are a few slight differences between the PAL and NTSC-U/C versions, but not many. The time you have to wait at the start of Mission 34 is longer in NTSC-U/C and you'll be missing the Toyota Esso Ultraflow Supra JGTC car but, other than that, there's nothing I can think of.

And lastly there is a third version - NTSC-J, released in Japan which has that Supra and the Mini Cooper 1.3i, some different Licence timings/cars (two Licence tests have completely different cars - S16 is a Sauber C9 and the time to beat is horrific) - and a fourth version released only in Korea (which has 4 additional cars to the PAL version, but no Mini Cooper).

It has been discussed before, but PAL is too short a term for the search feature, and NTSC is probably too common :lol:

I've been buying up copies of the GT games from different regions. I've had PAL for awhile and I just recently added NTSC/J as well. I've also completed the collection of PAL-region Concept games and GT4 Prologue.

Anyway, how would I positively identify the Korean version if I were to see it online? This will complete my collection.

I don't know - I need one meself as well.

RogsR34UK has a Korean copy though.

...There are a few slight differences between the PAL and NTSC-U/C versions, but not many. The time you have to wait at the start of Mission 34 is longer in NTSC-U/C and you'll be missing the Toyota Esso Ultraflow Supra JGTC car but, other than that, there's nothing I can think of....

I remeber also seeing a difference in finishing times in one or two of the licence test's or Missons, but I cant remeber which ones.

But the biggest killer is Mission 34.

oh, I just remebered Smallhorses talking about pit strategies for AI in the FGT Championship. NTSC AI pits less.

There are many more differences between the two versions than might be apparent on first glance. These are the differences I'm aware of:

• As Famine mentioned, PAL has the Toyota Esso Ultraflow Supra. PAL also has Vauxhall equivalents to all Opels, while NTSC just gets the Opels.
  • There are several cars with different names, including one, the Nissan Fairlady Z Concept LM / 350Z Concept LM, that has over 100 HP more in PAL.
  • There is at least one car, the Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca, that has the same power, weight, etc. in both versions but is significantly slower in PAL. Another possible one is the Mercedes 190E Touring Car.
  • Many license tests have slightly different gold times (and maybe silver and bronze, too; I don't know). PAL generally has harder times to beat.
  • Several driving missions are harder in PAL and others are harder in NTSC, some due to different finishing times for lead AI cars, and others supposedly due to handling differences in the player's car between versions. And, of course, in Mission 34, PAL has a much shorter wait time.
  • For some reason, in all races (not just the FGT championship), PAL AI pits more than NTSC AI. I also think, although I have no hard evidence for this, that PAL AI drives marginally faster/pushes harder, which may account for the pit interval differences.

I'm sure there are other differences, but these are the ones I've come across.

hey thanks guys; your answers are more detailed than i expected!

just one thing though; were could one get the PAL version of GT4? I mean, in Canada/US the NTSC version was standard, and I know I could probably go hunt for a PAL on ebay or something, but where was it originally sold?

Thanks in advance,

James

"The Rest of the World".

Bar some pockets of comedy, NTSC covers the USA, Canada and Japan. PAL is everywhere else - though your best bet would, obviously, be Europe.

You'd need a PAL-compatible PS2 (either a European one or a "chipped" one) or a PS3 with backwards compatibility to play it, however.

An NTSC U/C PS2 softmodded with Free MCBoot will run a PAL game no problem. I've always wanted to start a collection of GT4 Prologue, GT Concept, PAL and NTSC-J GT4 but I never had a way to boot them. A Korean copy of GT4 will complete my collection. I'm not trying to collect every copy, but just the copies with differences.

Ok, so now you have a way to boot the PAL games, but you might not necessarily have a way to display them. PAL displays at 50hz and NTSC at 60hz. An American TV might not necessarily have a way to display the PAL right out of the box. If you have a newer flat-screen TV then you might be lucky enough to where it has a NTSC-PAL autoswitch. It will sense whether the signal is PAL or NTSC and switch accordingly. Otherwise you'll need a converter.

I need a special TV and Playstation2 to play a GT4 with 2 extra cars and different waiting time for Mission 34??? :dunce:

I'll pass. Thanks guys for your help though; it's much appreciated! :P

James

Indeed, though most TVs made in the last ten years can display both PAL and NTSC signals and all HDTVs can.

I need a special TV and Playstation2 to play a GT4 with 2 extra cars and different waiting time for Mission 34??? :dunce:

I'll pass. Thanks guys for your help though; it's much appreciated! :P

James

I just said you don't need a special PS2 to run Free MCBoot. It is a free program that you can install on the memory card that allows you to launch either different-region or unsigned ELF's. In layman's terms, it'll launch any PS2 disc. If you have an HDTV you'll easily be able to display the video signal. From here, you only need to track down a copy of PAL GT4. I'd suggest starting at www.amazon.co.uk... its where I got mine.

I think PAL the best.

NTSC-J (for Japan. Dec, 2004)
*711 cars.
*13 cars below not included :
Jaguar XJR-9, Peugeot 905, Chaparral 2D/2J, Autounion v16, Audi Nuvolari / Pikes Peak,
Chrysler 300C, Alfa GT '04, HPA R32 Golf, Mitsubishi Ecripce '06, Mazda Crossports, Protomotors Spirra.
*No stripes Australian FPV GT.
*No red Honda Dualnote.
*480p / 1080i, 16 : 9 aspect rathio supported (for all NTSC)
*[Demonstration mode] and history / spec narration for each cars exist.
*100 music. selected by SCEJ, SCEA, SCEE.
*On the race, cannot switched between A-B spec in pit.
*Unable to change to mp/h.
*Vice-versa 1, 10 of TCS gage on 1st lot.
*Mission races are harder than U/C, PAL and Korean.
*GT mode map layout different from U/C, PAL and Korean.

NTSC-J (for South east asia. Dec, 2004)
*Localized for traditional Chinese language area (HongKong, Taiwan, Maraysia)
*System, Cars, Music Same as Japanese.

NTSC-U/C (for U.S./Canada. Feb, 2005)
*723 cars. Esso Supra not included.
*Esso trademark changed to Exxon as always.
unable to use ESSO name in U.S. by 1930's Standard Oil accusation as [ in radio Ad, same pronounce S.O.]
*72 music. removed 28 music SCEE selected.

PAL (for Europe. Mar, 2005)
*724 cars. Esso Supra included.
*Multilingual.
*97 music. 7 removed from JPN ver. + 4 new songs.
*No supported 1080i.

NTSC-J (for South Korea. May, 2005)
*728 cars. 3 Hyundai and Lexus Korean GT chanpionship race car added.
*Korean language only.
*A-B spec system same as U/C and PAL.
*72 music same as U/C.

Some cars name changed by each region (Lexus, Scion, Opel, Vauxhall).
In all region, NIKE Eye-Toy gimmick was enabled.

Last edited:
Sorry for the HUGE bump but does anyone knows every soundtrack that did appear in PAL but not in NTSC-U/C? And soundtracks that was in Japanese version but not in PAL or North America?

Thanks.

I know in the NTSC version the Sauber Mercedes is a lot easier to win - Grand Valley 300KM?
I own the PAL version and to get the same car you have to beat Formula GT.

Back