Panis and Coultard Back JV

-}=Dr={-Devil-}

(Banned)
Article on www.f1-live.com

Jacques Villeneuve has been backed to return to Formula One next year by two of Formula One's most experienced drivers – David Coulthard and Olivier Panis - because they believe he would liven up the sport's image.

Former world champion Villeneuve quit the sport dramatically before the season-ending Japanese Grand Prix last year after claiming to be disgusted by the way he had been treated by his BAR-Honda team. The realitiy of course was that BAR Honda simply decided not to extend his contract, opting to spend his salary on the development of the team and chassis.

The outspoken Canadian has been in talks with BMW Williams and rumours have suggested he could make a comeback as a replacement for either Juan Pablo Montoya or Ralf Schumacher at the end of the year. BMW Williams have admitted that the Canadian is on the list as a possible candidate for 2005, but so are many other drivers…

David Coulthard, who is himself seeking a drive next season after Montoya signed to join McLaren Mercedes in 2005, believes that a return by Villeneuve next season could be a benefit to the sport.

"I think it would be interesting for the sport for him to be back if he was able to find a spot," Coulthard stated. "As well as him being a friend I think he is a character for Formula One because he expresses his views without always giving full consideration to the consequences of how that may endear him to the team and sponsors."

"He is entertaining both out of the car and in the car because if you tell him that a corner is almost flat then he is the guy who is going to try to take it flat even if it means shunting it the other side of it, he will come with the data and say 'hey, I may have crashed and destroyed the car, but I was flat-out'. That is an interesting quality that he has!"

He and his manager Craig Pollock, who helped to set up BAR Honda from the ashes of the Tyrrell racing Organisation, had hoped to build BAR into a race-winning outfit but they failed to score a point in their first year and enjoyed limited subsequent success.

"I am still a good friend with Jacques," said Toyota veteran and former Villeneuve team-mate Oliver Panis. "We worked together for two years and I don't have any problem with him. One of Jacques' qualities is that he respects people who are working really hard and this is what I did for two years with BAR, and we still have a good relationship."

"If he's coming back, I'd welcome it because I'm sure he's still quick, still motivated but now he also needs to find a good place to prove that he's still good. If he starts with a strong team it would be a big help for him."

It remains to be seen whether BMW Williams are interested in Jacques Villeneuve or visa-versa.

I see you didn't post the quote from Patrick Head.

Looks like they're sniffing around Anthony Davidson at the moment too, seeing as he's going well and it looks like he'll be out of a job next week.

Did you really need 3 topics about this?

Are you gonna just post the whole of F1-live.com here?

Originally posted by daan
Did you really need 3 topics about this?

Are you gonna just post the whole of F1-live.com here?

Especially since F1-Live is not exactly the most reliable of sources...

I think your the only one that cares about JV possibly comming back to F1. He'll do the dame as Nigel Mansell. I can guarentee that for sure.

BTW, you "could" keep it all in one thread. Especially since all 3 topics are about the same irrelevant thing.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
Especially since F1-Live is not exactly the most reliable of sources...

This is on every F1 website I know of... still this doesn't make it a good reason to copy and paste three articles in three separate threads on a forum where the majority of users clearly don't like him and don't give a damn. Hell, I would like to see him back too, but I don't think I could be half as annoying as he is even if JV would be back and win the championship next year...

Get a friggin clue! * refrains from using the rolleye smilie *

On another notes, Giles, do you recommend better f1 sites? I usually have a look on planetf1.com, f1live.com, f1racing.net and crash.net.

My favorite one to check results is f1live.com, and I enjoy very much reading Planetf1.com for their editorial (and often very partial, but still interesting) content.

Originally posted by jpmontoya
Get a friggin clue! * refrains from using the rolleye smilie *

here ill do it for you:rolleyes:

ha

instead of posting THE WHOLE STORY. have a link to the site and preview it. Lot better

and, instead of trying to get JV back, what about getting some new canadian talent into f1.... like michael valiante

Originally posted by jpmontoya
On another notes, Giles, do you recommend better f1 sites? I usually have a look on planetf1.com, f1live.com, f1racing.net and crash.net.

Well, pretty much the biblical one is Autosport. When I say "biblical", I mean that if there's something on Autosport's site, you can pretty much guarantee that it's true. Also, if there's something that has been on another site for a few hours that is not on Autosport's site, then you can generally reasonably infer that it's not true.

The other one I use, which is a little more opinion-led is ITV-F1. They have some interesting analysis articles, and their news is generally written by/poached from the staff of Autosport.

Thanks Giles.

...Before someone start a another thread about this after looking on Autosport, I thought I'd spare you the trouble and post the results of their poll about who would they like to see in a Williams seat next year :P

1 – Jacques Villeneuve – 57.27%
2 – Mark Webber – 15.66%
3 – Scott Dixon – 9.26%
4 – Giancarlo Fischella – 7.0%
5 – Antonio Pizzonia – 6.06%
6 – Jenson Button – 4.76%

(thousands of votes)

I guess he's not hated that much then... (Still, Button's in last spot clearly because Bar seems to be in a better shape than Willams)

I think the issue is fully covered for now, and we should wait until something is officialy announced before getting excited or pissed about it.

Does everyone agree?

Back