Panoz

Just a member
Premium
United States
Wise, VA
Panoz-38
1998LM46_car.JPG

1998_LeMans24_jb_0049.jpg

A collaboration between Panoz and Zytek created one of the earliest hybrid race cars that competed in competition. The Zytek-built magnet DC motor helped the 6 liter Ford V8 during acceleration and with regenerative braking charged the batteries located in passenger seat area of the Q9.

The Q9 or "Sparky" was then entered to run in the 1998 24 hours of Le Mans. The lack of testing time and the weight of the hybrid system itself resulted the car not qualifying for the event by a small margin. Later that year, "Sparky" did race in the inaugural Petit Le Mans where the car finished 12th overall.

Today, two of the highest levels of motorsport, Formula One and top-flight Le Mans Prototypes uses hybrid systems which makes the Q9 a car ahead of its time.

DSC_0657.JPG

DSC_0658.JPG

DSC_0660.JPG

Some personal photos showing the extra venting for the Q9's battery packs.

Also a video of Don Panoz talking about the Q9.

Voted. "Sparky" was ahead of it's time and deserves to be included in the series, though I have to wonder how the extra weight of its batteries would affect this car in a future GT title, especially when the "Baseline" GTR-1 in GT6 is already quite a hefty beast...

Voted. "Sparky" was ahead of it's time and deserves to be included in the series, though I have to wonder how the extra weight of its batteries would affect this car in a future GT title, especially when the "Baseline" GTR-1 in GT6 is already quite a hefty beast...

I believe PD may have got the wrong weight for the car to begin with. Most of the FIA GT1 spec cars during the late 90s were in the 900-1000 KG neighborhood. "Sparky" tipped the scales around 1100 KG with the added batteries for the hybrid system. Take away the quoted weight of batteries in the video and you get a estimated weight of 930 KG.

There 100% needs to be some sort of Panoz representation in the game for the manufacturer's sheer style, unique looks, and racing heritage.

Back