engine balance

My pit strategy: 8,16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 72

My opponents
Clio Sport V6
S4
328Ci
206 S16
Fiat Coupe Turbo Plus

Lap 1: Started quick, but decided to hang back until the crappier cars sorted themselves out. The Fiat Coupe is 5th, the 206 is 4th, the S4 is 3rd, the 328Ci is 2nd, the Clio is 1st. It stays that way the entire race, but here's why my Impreza comes in... towards the end of this lap, I catch up to the 328Ci and the Clio, and they are both fighting over first place. I edge out the 328Ci, and am now fighting the Clio for 1st place. He's real quick, and stays ahead of me for now.

Lap 3: I finally shake the Bimmer off my ass, and he's about 7-8 seconds back, I'm guessing.

Lap 6: the Clio pits in at the dn of lap six, so I know he's on a 6 lap strategy. My left front is yellow, but I'm sure I can squeeze 8 laps of the tires.

Lap 8: I pit at the end of lap 8, and the Clio is 16 seconds back. The Clio passes me while I'm in the pit, and I head out right behind him. I sense a short battle ensuing, but only for 3 or 4 laps, because he's going to pit in again at 12. My next is 16.

Lap 10: I've been breathing down his neck for the last 2 laps, but have not been able to pass. I've come close, but its been double passing. I need to find better lines.

*NOTES* I've figured out the Impreza likes to be braked early, trail braked somewhat, then feather the throttle until understeer is fixed. The important thing is to edge the rumble strips.

Lap 12: I pass him in the middle of this lap, but he's tapping my bumper at every corner. Luckily, just taps, not the usualy AI SLAM. He's got the power for the straightaways, but I'm taking better lines now. As predicted, he pits at the end of this lap.

Lap 14: Clio is 18.004 seconds back.

Lap 16: Clio is slowly gaining time on me, about .500 seconds per lap. I hit the first lap traffic about 45 seconds into my 16th lap. Quickly passed the Fiat Coupe, but he's going to pass me right back when I pit at the end of this lap. As soon as my car is raised up in the pit, the Clio is preparing to round the last corner, and...

Lap 17: I pull out of my second pit, with the Clio 3.468 seconds behind me. I'm gaining about 1.5 seconds on him every 8 laps now, due to my better understanding of how the car drives. And the only reason I'm ahead of him is because he can only pull 6 laps out of his tires, whereas I can pull 8.

*NOTES* The more I get used to this car, the easier it is to clock some quick, consistent times. I'm not usually wavering outside the range of 1'34.8xx - 1'35.1xx. This is a consistent car. It understeers, but is easy to control.

Lap 18: Passed the Fiat Coupe at the beginning of the long straightaway midway through the track. The Clio is going to pit now too, but I don't have to pit until the end of 24. This will add a nice chunk to my 3.117 second lead.

Lap 20: Passed the Peugeot 206 S16 around the first hard right. My lead over the Cllio is a comfortable 18.643 seconds. He has to pit at 24, but so do I. This will keep my 18 sec lead at least, and give me another 8 lap stretch to gain even more time on him, while he has to pit in another 6 laps. He will pit again at 30, me at 32.

Lap 21: The Clio has diminshed my lead to 17.027 seconds. I'm going to hammer on it a little harder.

Lap 22: Sector 1 --> 31.605 Sector 2 --> 1:06.689 Sector 3 --> 28.791 Lap total: 1:35.480 That's about my average lap so far.

Lap 23: I pass the S4

Lap 24: My lead on the Clio is now 18.122 seconds and I pit. The Clio pulls into pit lane right as I'm leaving. Speaking of leaving, I've left the Clio 22.288 seconds back, and he has to pit again before I do.

Lap 25: A near spinout, just after the city section, caused by an accidental handbrake tap, and averted with some opposite lock.

Lap 26: Clio now 18.949 seconds back... he's a quick ****er.

Lap 27: Some excellent racing lines on my part put the Clio back 19.654 seconds.

Lap 28: Crap! I hit the Armco hard on the first righthand sweeper after the start/finish line. But the Clio must've hit the same wall himself, because he's now 20.253 seconds back.

Lap 29: That S4 must've passed by when I pitted last, because I just passed him again. The Clio is now 17.579 seconds back

Lap 30: I hit that damned Armco again, cutting it close gives you good sector times, but hitting it... well... that'll **** up your whole lap. Maybe after lap 60 I'll have gotten that Clio off my ass for good. I've got him 20.284 seconds back for now though. The Clio pits, and gives me a comfortable lead.

Lap 31: The Clio is now 39.284 seconds back, which is the farthest back he's been yet. Another minute ahead of him and I'll have lapped him. I estimate this will happen around lap 65-70.

Lap 32: I had a great battle with the 328Ci, which must have at least 340 horsepower... It's M3 fast, and he uses a very good portion of that power. Unfortunately for him, he's kind of a slouch in the corners. I would've had a longer battle, but I had to pit. And so I do, with the Clio 39.493 seconds back.

Lap 33: I emerge from the pit lane 21.136 seconds ahead of the Clio.

Lap 35: Caught up with the 328Ci again, but he just lets me right past, doesn't bother to battle. So I go past; I'm determined to lap the Clio by the end of the race. He's now 20.032 seconds back.

Lap 37: Clio pits on schedule on lap 36. I still have 4 laps, well 3... left to go before my next pit. Just reached 60 minutes exactly on lap 37... 37 + 37 = 74 <---the race will end here....

Lap 39: The clio is 39.646 seconds back. This allows me to pit while keeping a comfortable lead. I will stick with my 8 lap schedule, and pit at 40, my fifth lap.

Lap 40: Pitted, and I'm going to pause it and call it a night. I want a cigarette, and its 1:45 a.m. BBL

Lap 41: Good morning and welcome back to Rome! The Clio is 25.526 seconds back.

*NOTES* The car is still understeery even though I've learned to control it. It requires further LSD tuning, but feathering the throttle will have to do for now...

Lap 46: I complete my best lap yet at 1'34.332, beating my old best of 1'34.511.

Lap 49: Doh! I forgot to pit at 48! I was getting into a zone trying to set a best lap.... ah well... I remember that liscence test with the Zonda through Rome, and its helping me to find better lines through the city. I knew this already, but going for all golds really does make you a better driver. I have enought of a lead on the Clio where I could almost turn around and pit, and I'd still be ahead when I got out of pit lane. He's 53.100 seconds back.

Lap 50: I pit, two laps late, and the Clio is 1'12.995 seconds behind me. I have 40 minutes to go. w00t!

Lap 53: New best lap of 1'33.969. Trail braking and starting braking early is key. The Clio is 55.421 seconds back.

*NOTES* Feint movements and braking to get the car to rotate more and getting back on the gas just before the apex produces the fastest lap times.

Lap 56: I pitted, to get back to my regular schedule. Nothing spectacular happend on this lap.

Lap 57: The clio is 58.496 seconds back. I haven't seen him for about 15 laps or so actually.

Lap 58: Pretty uneventful lately, the Clio is 56.726 seconds back. I've driven 141.8 (If it weren't for S-Video, I would'nt have know, my other tv is too crappy!) miles already. I don't know exactly when my oil light will come on. Probably towards the very end.

Lap 60: As of the beginning of lap 60, 96 minutes and 34.050 seconds have passed. There are approximately 24 minutes left

Lap 61: the Clio pits at the end of his 60th lap, on schedule. I'll be getting ready to lap him within the next 10 lsps.

Lap 62: Clio now 1'20.393 seconds back.

Lap 63: I've decided to stretch my pit strategy out to 10 laps. I believe it can be done, and I'm determind to lap that Clio by the end of the race. With only 17 mins left, I'd better hurry.

Lap 65: I've decided to pit at the nd of this lap. The Clio pits next after his 66th lap. His next pit after that, is at 72 . My LF tire is orange, my RF tire is yellow, my LR tire is yellow, and my RR tire is light green. After my pit, all of my tires are as blue as my WRX :)

Lap 67: Clio pits on his 72nd lap before I go in again at 75.

Lap 68: The Clio is now 1'27.543 behind me. I'm about 6 seconds away from lapping him. There are exactly 10 minutes left... well 10 minutes .717 seconds...

Lap 73: I can now see the Clio in front of me, and he's 1;31.846 behind me. I might catch him soon, but will definately when he pits. I just lapped lapped him on the last corner, but I'm going to pit with him to get a battle going, at least for one lap. 1' 18:51.216 has passed, so the next lap will be the last. I predicted 74 laps, and 74 laps it is.

Lap 74: His pit box is right behind mine, and we're going to pull out at the same exact time. My oil light just came on when I left the pit lane! My asshole pit crew hasn't changed the oil ONCE since I started! I'm in front of the Clio, but there are double passes on almost every corner. He tapped me into a wall, but not very hard at all. I passed him back in the second to last corner after dragging him the whole way down that long straigthaway. He taps my bumper in the last corner, but alas, I scream across the finish line at 2 hours and 58.483 seconds, with a Clio V6 that has been welded to my back bumper for several turns.

And in my garage is the piece of ****!!! Lancia Delta HF Integrale Rally car, my nemesis on License test R6, where I'm one gold and .011 seconds away from having all 48 golds. Assholes, they just had to give me that car. I sold it VERY promptly. I did win 300,000 credits for my efforts though.

I think that with about 20 less horsepower, this race would be very challenging. It would be rewarding too (providing you don't with the Integrale Rally Car... GRRRR....), as Rome is a tight course with some great spots for battles.

SLOWMAN

Excellent write-up Slowman, nice work. 👍

The Delta Rally Car is the best Rally vehicle in the game, a shame you sold it.

I have a set of Passage To Colosseo notes from a race in which I won from the Clio V6 by just 2.7s after 2hrs of racing! It was the race that finally (I'd run this race 8 or so times!) gave me the Lancia, but it was the one car I wanted in this case! I just haven't had time to sit down and transcribe them lately. Having read this it may just inspire me to start typing sometime soon!

Look forward to seeing more of your write-ups in future. :)

I'm not so much of a rallier, so it's no prize to me... I like the tarmac :)
I especially didn't want to see that thing after going through 1 destroyed DS2 controller and about 200 tries on the R6 license test... grrr... still eluding me. It's my last gold before I get all 48.

I might re-do this race with the Impreza, but drop it down to about 300-310 horsepower. That should make a close race!

heh, that was exciting :) well, for the first part when you could have possibly lost anyway ;)

rexs do have quite alot of understeer, i find they handle more like FF at grip speeds, until you get the ass end out then they handle more like an FR car

for me, the best tactic for driving a wrx is to set yourself up into a corner so that you would understeer into the outside wall, except as you apex the corner, drag your front tyres of the the rumble strips and the drag on the inside wheels will pull you round into the driving line. with some practice, you can really lunch some quick cars. unfortunately, it's an easy tactic to stuff up and slam into the outside wall

my rex also has like, 600 horsepower or so (stg 2 turbo, etc) so it might be a little different to yours ;)

Back