Passion for the sport (any rowers out there?)

United States
Orlando FL
RSM-ShiroJP
I've been rowing for 4 years now. I am the stroke sit of my team's Varsity 8 (meaning 8 person boat)
I've tried so many sports in my life and rowing has been so much different than any other, it's my passion. I used to believe I was in perfect shape for any sport that came ahead, and I was right for most of the time, I never had to do catch up but only keep my shape. I never felt out of shape. But when it came to rowing, I had never felt so week, so torn apart and felt so much pain in my life. At first I thought maybe it was just because I was new to the sport, but no, the pain is part of the sport, it's about how much pain you can take and keep going, keep giving all you have as if you were full of energy. You can't just stop. You just get used to the pain and know that "it was hurting too much" is no excuse to stop during a race or training. You just keep pushing, even when you feel you are about to destroy your muscle, you push even harder, if it hurts, you fight the pain by going even harder. Our coach has a saying: you win the race during practice, so you push your self as hard as you would during a race because after all, that's what's gonna make you win the event.
In a race, you are mentally prepared to die to win, give everything you can possibly give. The one who wants to win is the one who is willing to die in every stroke they take. The one who feels that every stroke is the last one because their body could not take another one without falling in pieces, yet they push harder than the last one.
The last 250 meters of a race comes, it's here or nowhere. You have to die, you have to kill your self to reach the finish line. The boat starts going faster and for a minute you feel the pain is gone, but in reality it's your desire to win. You feel you are so close to passing out, but you don't want to disappoint anyone, you can't let the rest of your boat down. So you all become one and become an engine screaming to reach the end of the 1/4 mile. So you reach a sudden stop, where you have less than a second to analyze what just happened, your body is in flames, the pain is so incredibly strong you could swear you are about to die. But you made it, you survived. You passed the finish line in first place, all you practiced for, all the effort you put on just for those 30-90 minutes of pain after the race. It's the best feeling ever.

what's sports are you passionate aboit? A sport you just feel you would give your life for, can you describe what you feel while doing this sport? What's so attractive about it?
Rowing is not a common sport so I wouldn't be surprised if mos of you don't understand why I love this sport, but I am passionate about it, and the one thing all athletes share is passion. What's yours?

For the couple of you who don't know what rowing id, not its not on a canoe. Here: a couple of the greatest rowing foot age I've seen.

This race is insane, and you can also hear the coxswain (or driver) of the bost, trying to motivate his rowers, it's a great comeback from being behind by so much to winning the race and you can really feel the intensity in the race by the coxwain's voice and shouts.

Incredible! The effort put on by these two teams is insane and who doesn't love close finish?

Go Britain! (I am actually a German fan ;D

Back