Patch: manual transmission in Driving Revolution

• Thread starter ted209
  • 5 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I've only recently discovered Enthusia, and I absolutely love this game.

I was really blown away when I discovered that this game (along with many others) could be patched to widescreen. Inspired by this, I started learning a little MIPs assembly to see if I could make some small improvements to the game.

I have now made two new patches of my own:

Force manual transmission in Driving Revolution mode

and

Swap default highlighted transmission mode to manual (useful for Time Attack and Free Race modes, where you have to select transmission every time you race).

Details of the patches and how to apply them are here:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/pat...hard-burns-rally-enthusia-126473/#post1160550

Interesting! I don't yet have a computer that can run a PS2 emulator, but in the future I fully expect to revisit the game this way. For now, I still play the game on my PS2 because there's still nothing better. :)

I wonder if it would be possible to flag the Enthusia Life version of Ocean Bridge for use in Time Attack, for a top speed test track? Maybe disable the "finish" checkpoint at the 1000m mark? As it is, you have to upgrade each car to Level 10 in Enthusia Life before you can check out what speed it can reach with L3 Power. That's been my pet project while grinding through the car list in EL, just for curiosity's sake.

By the way, this thread should be allowable here (I think?) as long as no one provides links or resources for emulators or ISOs. Let's try to keep it open.

I'm glad people are still discovering and enjoying this great game. 👍

Just to clarify, I also play Enthusia on my PS2 (with a Logitech DFGT wheel). These patches work on the original hardware, not just emulation.

As long as you use your original game, I don't think the method of doing this is illegal, but I won't describe it here just in case people are concerned.

There are also various commercial cheat devices available which could be used to achieve the same thing.

Nice work, @ted209! 👍

Can you show us some screenshots/pictures of the widescreen mode in comparison to the standard setting?

Finally got round to taking some screenshots for you (as it's the game's 10th birthday!). As you can see, the speedometer is stretched to an oval, but all 3D graphics are shown at the correct aspect ratio.

Standard 4:3 capture (padded with black borders)
enthusia%201%20standard.png

Widescreen 16:9:
enthusia%201%20wide.png

And Driving Revolution in widescreen with manual transmission:
enthusia%20DR%20MT%20WS.png

Thanks, ted209!

It looks like almost when I run the game upscaled to 16:9 on my TV but with better image quality.

Back