PC: Disk vs. Steam version?

• Thread starter MarkusK
  • 24 comments
Germany
~Hamburg
GTP_MarkusK
Hey guys,

I preordered PCARS for PC on Amazon a while ago (not the special edition). Just recently I figured the Steam version also bundles the limited edition cars such as the M1 ProCar or AMG C-Coupé DTM and I'm now thinking of canceling my disk version preorder and preordering on Steam, since I'd really love to drive these two badboys!

Are there any disadvantages of the Steam version over the disked one or vice-versa?

I don't feel like inserting the disk every time I'll start PCARS, especially because my not-yet-existing-but-planned PC does not have build-in a disk drive. Not sure if this kind of DRM is still a thing on modern PC games tho..

Thank You!

nice thing about steam is that it saves all the games you download, so if you goof something up, you just download again, or switch PC's. I really have fallen for steam lately it works well.

Yeah just go for Steam. It's so much more convenient. You don't have to mess around with the disc or any box, and you can have the full Steam overlay and guides, etc.

AFAIK buying it on disk only means that the initial install may be from the disk and from there it hooks in with Steam (I.e. no more disks). This is the way all games I have bought on disk have worked when they're also on Steam.

(Edit: this has no bearing on the version/content you buy of course...)

Last edited:
Doesn't solve the problem for people with smaller internet plans.
I don't mean to be condescending or anything of the sort, but I live on an unlimited internet experience :P

Well there's still two options for the OP there if his internet isn't so hot.

Well there's still two options for the OP there if his internet isn't so hot.
My internet connection isn't the hottest one, but it'll be ok for downloading 10GB+. :) I'd say all the plugins, if any, should work on steam too right?

Yeah just go for Steam. It's so much more convenient. You don't have to mess around with the disc or any box...
I'm generally against digital distribution, but it makes sense on PC, where it's already difficult or impossible to resell your games and you have much more control over the actual program files. And after Steam is discontinued, it will be much easier to reinstall or continue playing your games compared to a service like XBL/PSN/NN.

Supposedly the system requirement aks for 30GB HDD space, I have a sucky internet speed in my country but either way I'll buy the Steam Version.

I'd only choose the psyphical copy of this game if I could get the limited edition

Ok, I'm going with the Steam version. Doesn't seem to have any real disadvantages except the huge download.

Sounds like my kind of internet speed. Does it cost you money?.
No, I have a regular plan for my home connection, I thing it's just 1mb or something like that and when it's on good mood I can download from Steam at 260kb/s with nothing else using internet.

I'm generally against digital distribution, but it makes sense on PC, where it's already difficult or impossible to resell your games and you have much more control over the actual program files. And after Steam is discontinued, it will be much easier to reinstall or continue playing your games compared to a service like XBL/PSN/NN.
Do you know something we don't?:odd:

And after Steam is discontinued, it will be much easier to reinstall or continue playing your games compared to a service like XBL/PSN/NN.

Steam is already too big to fail. But if the whole Internet does get shut down due to some very unlikely worldwide apocalypse, there will be bigger problems for us to worry about...

I still enjoy games from 20 years ago, but no one connects to the internet through AOL anymore. It's effectively inevitable for services like Steam to die or be replaced by something newer. Someday, you won't be able to connect to download any games you don't already have installed.

I'm not saying there's any reason to worry about Steam right now, but for an example, I'll be surprised if XB360/PS3/Wii downloads aren't cut off before the end of the decade. Buying a game via digital distribution only gives you a lease on access, not ownership. Technically, all commercial software is licensed to the consumer on similar terms, but a physical disc still provides access for as long as you can hang onto it.

Even if you have the disk, in 2035 you'll also need a vintage PC with only DX11 GPU, very outdated version of windows 7, Steam emulator and wired LCD display. So you can brag to the kids "that how we rolled in 2015 and Pcars was the best". Then you'll show them the DK2 and they'll just laugh their heads off, lol.

Even if you have the disk, in 2035 you'll also need a vintage PC with only DX11 GPU, very outdated version of windows 7, Steam emulator and wired LCD display. So you can brag to the kids "that how we rolled in 2015 and Pcars was the best". Then you'll show them the DK2 and they'll just laugh their heads off, lol.
Thats what I do with Revs and Elite using Beebem. 30 years old and still a cracking racing game. There will be ways to play todays games in 20 or 30 years, nostalgia will be even bigger business than it is now.

I have Windows 95 games installed straight onto my Windows 7 laptop, from the original discs I've kept since I was around ten years old. So...you'll have to excuse me for taking that prediction with a grain of salt.

I still enjoy games from 20 years ago, but no one connects to the internet through AOL anymore. It's effectively inevitable for services like Steam to die or be replaced by something newer. Someday, you won't be able to connect to download any games you don't already have installed.

I'm not saying there's any reason to worry about Steam right now, but for an example, I'll be surprised if XB360/PS3/Wii downloads aren't cut off before the end of the decade. Buying a game via digital distribution only gives you a lease on access, not ownership. Technically, all commercial software is licensed to the consumer on similar terms, but a physical disc still provides access for as long as you can hang onto it.

If you're actually worried, you can burn yourself the equivalent of an install disc for your Steam games right now. Right click and select "Back up game files".

It's a good way to save bandwidth if you're switching hard drives as well.

And were those installs ever to go missing, you might be able to find them fairly easily online by staring at your computer and saying "Arrrr!" loudly. Which wouldn't be piracy, because you already paid for the software.

@Imari -- Yup, that's what I meant when I said in my earlier post, "you have much more control over the actual program files." 👍

@Imari -- Yup, that's what I meant when I said in my earlier post, "you have much more control over the actual program files." 👍

Fair enough.

I don't get the stuff about the benefits a physical disc as opposed to Steam, then. Steam essentially provides you a physical disc as well, if you want. So actually, Steam provides you access for as long as you can hold onto the 15 cents worth of DVDs that you burned, and if they happen to get damaged or go missing before Steam goes down, you can replace them for free.

I honestly don't see any reason to buy a physical disc instead of purchasing on Steam, unless your internet connection won't allow you to download that much data (or you can somehow get a stonking deal from a brick-and-mortar store). The last game I bought from a real store was for exactly those reasons, it was ten bucks cheaper and it saved me 30gigs of downloading at the end of the month when I was right on my cap.

And that's why I said digital distribution "makes sense on PC." We're just covering the same things I did in my first post, but it got mixed up because InSight took issue with my suggestion that Steam might not be around forever.

Last edited:
And that's why I said digital distribution "makes sense on PC." We're just covering the same things I did in my first post, but it got mixed up because Johnnypenso and InSight took issue with my suggestion that Steam might not be around forever.
I didn't take issue with it, I just asked if you know something we don't:odd:

Back