PC Rebuild brings major problems

United States
Cincinnati, OH
Hello everyone, I've made around 5 PC's at this point so not exactly new to the scene. I had a PC that I was planning to upgrade for sometime with aesthetic components. All was running perfectly fine on the PC pre rebuild. I finally decided to do so. I added new fans to my case and CPU cooler, added the Corsair Commander Pro to control them, and swapped out most of my cables with Cablemod Cables. I did a test after plugging in everything to make sure the PC would post. It would not, after an hour of looking around, a friend mentioned that to make sure I have the correct cables for PCI-E and CPU, and that it can be tricky as they are not labled on Cablemod. That fixed my issue. So I put everything together, turn on my PC and notice my water pump making a loud noise then noticed that the pump was dead. No matter, I actually had another Corsair H100i V2 from a prior build that I can put on it. That fixed my cooler issue. Now I have an issue where the right side fan on my Graphics card (EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2) is not spinning. On top of that, my CPU was overclocked before and would idle at 39-41 degrees celcius is not idling at 64-66 without being overclocked. I've done many builds and rebuilds in the past but this one has been a complete nightmare. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on?

Have you tried reverting to the old cables? Sounds to me like that could be the problem.

Is there enough power from the psu with any new compinents added? I think its the watts output of the psu. Thats my only suggestion as you say you know what your doing.

Have you tried reverting to the old cables? Sounds to me like that could be the problem.

That is the next thing I'm going to try. It's strange to me if that is the issue as Cablemod is quite well known for being great aftermarket cables. But it's what I'm going to try next.

Is there enough power from the psu with any new compinents added? I think its the watts output of the psu. Thats my only suggestion as you say you know what your doing.

Should be. It's a 750 Watt PSU. The only part that has been added technically is the Commander Pro box. Everything else was there before. I had 6 RGB fans before, just 3 were not the HD fans from Corsair but were the fans provided with the Corsair 570x case.

Specs are below just in case.

ThreadRipper 1920x
Corsair H100i V2
Aorus Gaming X399
4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz DDR4
250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2
500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Corsair HX750i

Now I have an issue where the right side fan on my Graphics card (EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2) is not spinning.

Is that not because it's semi-passive and will only spin when it needs to? Sounds obvious but maybe you're doing the thing where you're overly anxious that it's not working and blind to the easy stuff...?

On top of that, my CPU was overclocked before and would idle at 39-41 degrees celcius is not idling at 64-66 without being overclocked.

Not sure about this one, my first thought would be thermal paste or the cooler not being seated properly, but if you've built systems before it's unlikely. Are you sure the cooler is working properly and is definitely 100% not leaking? Is that the temperature reported by the BIOS/UEFI? Is your motherboard set to factory defaults? Any chance the voltage is higher than it should be? I'm kind of grasping at straws because there's no reason your CPU should suddenly be ~20 degrees hotter.

I'm kind of grasping at straws because there's no reason your CPU should suddenly be ~20 degrees hotter.
My CPU did the same thing - was running just fine then all of a sudden the fan couldn't keep up and it was running VERY hot. It was indeed the thermal paste that had dried up. Cleaning and reapplying did the trick.

So, I think I've finally found the culprit. After hours of messing around with things I have come to the conclusion that 750 Watts is not enough for my system to run. Which is odd as I've not added much to where it was before, but I guess it was on the limit prior. I didn't realize my computer specs would need more than 750w. So I think I'm going to upgrade to a 1000w psu just to be on the safe side.

What is interesting though is that if I set my CPU speed to 3.5ghz and 1.225v it won't start. If I set it to Auto where it will boost to 4.0ghz and 1.416v it's fine. That doesn't make much sense to me

@Kamuifanboy huh, I just put your specs into an online calculator and sure enough, it recommended over 750W. That doesn't really explain the CPU heat though, unless the voltage on the H100i was drooping so it wasn't running at full capacity or something?

@Kamuifanboy huh, I just put your specs into an online calculator and sure enough, it recommended over 750W. That doesn't really explain the CPU heat though, unless the voltage on the H100i was drooping so it wasn't running at full capacity or something?

Yeah, so I unplugged my commander pro and the lights on the fans. And only ran the CPU Rad Fans and my pc seems to at least run now without issues other than the one mentioned in my last post. I think the pump was basically failing because it didn't have enough power. That's the only real conclusion I can come to at the moment. So yay I have to spend $200 for an HX1000i.

Yeah, so I unplugged my commander pro and the lights on the fans. And only ran the CPU Rad Fans and my pc seems to at least run now without issues other than the one mentioned in my last post. I think the pump was basically failing because it didn't have enough power. That's the only real conclusion I can come to at the moment. So yay I have to spend $200 for an HX1000i.
At idle, it would be utilising very little of your current PSU capacity so issue might be related to your Commander Pro and lights. Even at full load, your 750W seems plenty enough for it.

Back