PC underperforming??

VolkswagenX

(Banned)
Netherlands
Netherlands
About a year ago I decided to build my own PC to do some sim racing. I had zero experience building a pc and the goal was to do it for less than € 1.000,-.
Building a PC was easier then I thought and only took me about 2 hours ( I think thats ok for a first timer).

I was very proud with what I had built performance wise, only real problem was the loud noize comming from the case I cheaped out on to stay within budget and the standard AMD cpu cooler. System ran very stable when playing ACC with high settings at 1080p.

A year later and a new job with better pay and i decided to give myself a little treat and get rid of my noize problems. Bought a new case, some 140mm fans and a new CPU cooler. Took everything out of the old case, put it in the new case and replaced the old cooler with the new cooler. Turn the PC back on and everything seems to work and it's very quiet now... But it runs worse for some reason. The bench mark in shadow of the tomb raider now gives a 25 fps lower average than before?? FPS in ACC is now all over the place. This can't be caused by better cooling?

Anybody know what happend to my PC? Or any tips on where to check my CPU and/or GPU performance?
My specs are:
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
MB: ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU cooler: Scythe Fuma 2
RAM: 2X8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 C16
GPU: MSI RADEON RX 5700 XT Gaming X
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2
PSU: CM MWE Gold 650 fully modular

Nope, something not right. As you say you're new to this, are you absolutely certainly you fitted the new heatsink and cooler correctly? You took any plastic bits off, and made sure it was correctly seated against the processor? It's easy to not quite get it right even as a pro and if you do, your CPU performance will be massively throttled.

Check your temps at idle and peaks whilst you're doing something, like running the benchmark.

Idle should be anywhere from 20-40, under load around 80-90 max.

There are lots of tools you could use but since you've got Ryzen you might as well install this, it can show you all manner of things relating to your CPU, like peak speed. While your benchmark is running your 2700X should be hitting 4,300 MHz.

Nope, something not right. As you say you're new to this, are you absolutely certainly you fitted the new heatsink and cooler correctly? You took any plastic bits off, and made sure it was correctly seated against the processor? It's easy to not quite get it right even as a pro and if you do, your CPU performance will be massively throttled.

Check your temps at idle and peaks whilst you're doing something, like running the benchmark.

Idle should be anywhere from 20-40, under load around 80-90 max.

There are lots of tools you could use but since you've got Ryzen you might as well install this, it can show you all manner of things relating to your CPU, like peak speed. While your benchmark is running your 2700X should be hitting 4,300 MHz.

I removed every bit of plastic and the cooler is correctly installed. Idle is at about 33c. I will try the ryzen master later today and share my results. Thanks for your quick reply.

OK so 33 idle is perfectly normal for Ryzen, may be throttling under load for some reason. Can you see if all your fans are kicking in?

Did you reinstall RAM in correct slots (1 and 3 or 2 and 4) so it is running in dual channel mode? Did you reinstall GPU in correct PCIEX16 slot at the top?

OK so 33 idle is perfectly normal for Ryzen, may be throttling under load for some reason. Can you see if all your fans are kicking in?
Tried the ryzen master stress test and it didn't go higher than 40c. Your comment about fans did make me remember a thing and that is that I changed some fan settings in advanced power settings. I did this a few days before I changed the cooler as a final solution to the horrible wraith cooler noise. I basically copied these settings:

It's a very short video (2 min). Can't remember testing it with gaming so maybe that is the issue.
All fans are working.

Edit: Yeah that dit it. I reset to normal settings and my CPU went from 2200 mhz to 3700 mhz. Downside is that the fan is now running at full power. Idle now at 27c.

Did you reinstall RAM in correct slots (1 and 3 or 2 and 4) so it is running in dual channel mode? Did you reinstall GPU in correct PCIEX16 slot at the top?
Never took out the RAM so it's in the same position als before. GPU is in the top slot (same as before). The only thing that changed hardware wise are the case and cooler.

Last edited:
At 1080p the fps is probably being dicatated more by the CPU than GPU, but you should check the temperatures on both while running the bench tests, see if you get any spikes.

It may be worth taking the cooler out, repasting and re-seating it just to rule that out. I assume you didn't remove the CPU during the swap, so there's not likely to be any bent or broken pins there.

Unless now you've re-set the fan settings you aren't getting the FPS drops anymore, in which case you've identified the issue, in that case I'd suggest you try to change the fan settings bit by bit to see if you can find a sweet spot. Re-seating the cooler might still be worth doing as your idle seems ok so you might have been spiking.

Out of interest what fans did you buy? If you're interested in limiting noise I'd reccommend Silent Wings 3 from BeQuiet, I have 4 x 140mm fans, 4 x 120m fans and 1 x 135mm fan in my case and other than the initial spool up during the system startup, they barely go beying a discrete hum no matter what I'm doing on the computer.

Last edited:
Edit: Yeah that dit it. I reset to normal settings and my CPU went from 2200 mhz to 3700 mhz. Downside is that the fan is now running at full power. Idle now at 27c.
Alright, thought as much. You should still be able to tweak the fan curves a little bit, just don't go extreme.

Unless now you've re-set the fan settings you aren't getting the FPS drops anymore, in which case you've identified the issue, in that case I'd suggest you try to change the fan settings bit by bit to see if you can find a sweet spot. Re-seating the cooler might still be worth doing as your idle seems ok so you might have been spiking.
Re-setting to stock setting fixed the problem.
Out of interest what fans did you buy? If you're interested in limiting noise I'd reccommend Silent Wings 3 from BeQuiet, I have 4 x 140mm fans, 4 x 120m fans and 1 x 135mm fan in my case and other than the initial spool up during the system startup, they barely go beying a discrete hum no matter what I'm doing on the computer.
The case came with 2x 120mm fans. One in the front and one in the back. I moved the fan in the front to the top to blow hot air out of the case. The front now has 2x 140mm fans from Corsair (ML140 pro). Didn't really do much research. I wanted them to match the case and not have RGB. Cooling seems fine on the CPU front. Not sure if there is much to do about the GPU. It can run really hot but that seems to be normal for the 5700xt? I put myself on a € 400,- and have about € 200,- left. Could maybe go for a waterblock for the GPU but I'm not sure if it's worth. Maybe I'd rather put the money to my car respray budget..

Alright, thought as much. You should still be able to tweak the fan curves a little bit, just don't go extreme.
Kind of scared to touch since it runs very nice now😅

Re-setting to stock setting fixed the problem.

The case came with 2x 120mm fans. One in the front and one in the back. I moved the fan in the front to the top to blow hot air out of the case. The front now has 2x 140mm fans from Corsair (ML140 pro). Didn't really do much research. I wanted them to match the case and not have RGB. Cooling seems fine on the CPU front. Not sure if there is much to do about the GPU. It can run really hot but that seems to be normal for the 5700xt? I put myself on a € 400,- and have about € 200,- left. Could maybe go for a waterblock for the GPU but I'm not sure if it's worth. Maybe I'd rather put the money to my car respray budget..

Kind of scared to touch since it runs very nice now😅
Glad it's fixed, it may be worth checking out those Silent Wings fans, I've found thme to be great at moving air through and quiet and no RGB either.

Don't be afraid to try changing the fan settings again, just set an hour aside and tweak them it bit by bit. Worst case scenario you have reset to default settings again.

If I'm looking at this right, those power settings aren't to adjust the fans. Those are used to set the minimum and maximum speeds that the processor can achieve in the selected power setting. What setting was the system cooling policy set to? Passive prioritizes low fan speed over performance, so that may have been the issue if that was the case. Otherwise, see below.

To actually play around with the fan speeds you have to access AI Suite and then Fan Expert. This will allow you to set the CPU fan curve (what speed the fan runs at what cpu temperature).

Is their no Fan control software in the UEFI
It will be under "Advanced"

1640434316759.png

Last edited:
Back