• 9 comments

McKiernan

Premium
Ireland
Dublin/Ireland
McKiernan
Nope
Hey guys,

I recently made the switch from PS4 to PC & of course as soon as I had installed Steam I bought Project C.A.R.S (again). Anywhoo I'm a complete PC noob, with this PC being my 1st gaming rig. It has;

Gigabyte X99 motherboard with Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E) Processor
16GB Ram
Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti "Reference Design" 6144MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
500GB SSD
2 TB HDD

Anywhooo being such a noob when I first installed Steam and PCARS I installed everything on my SSD, however I wanted to keep the SSD as a boot drive & the HDD as a storage drive. So after a little googling I decided to delete PCARS from Steam & then uninstall Steam. Then I reinstalled Steam to my C Drive (the SSD) and then I set up a games library folder on my D Drive (the HDD) & set the options in steam to download games to that folder. Then I re-downloaded PCARS and it worked as expected and installed into the proper drive & folder. So far so good.

The Wheel & pedals that I'm using are the Fanatec CSW V2 with BMW GT Rim & CSR Elite Pedals. I am using the latest Fanatec Driver (Driver 64bit v231) & have te firmware on the wheelbase up to date. When in the Fanatec driver all wheel & pedal inputs are recognised and working properly, on the 2nd tab in the profiler (where you set degrees of rotation and dampening) I have my wheel set to 900* & 0% dampening. I also have the little box ticked that says "combined pedals" as I have my pedals connected to the wheelbase.

When I loaded up PCARS for the first time, I did what I normally would and went straight to the options so as to calibrate my wheel & pedals. Everything here seemed as normal, I selected the right wheelbase with combined pedals, then assigned buttons (including wheel & pedals) and force feedback, then was able to calibrate the wheel & pedals. Again so far so good.

The problem is when I go to track. I went to solo practice on Watkins Glen GP in the Audi R8 LMS GT3 and when I leave the pits & am on track the car is accelerating through the whole lap even though I have not pressed the throttle. When I press the break the car slows but will not stop. When I look at the telemetry with no feet on any pedal it shows a little over half throttle (the green bar). When I press the break with (the telemetry up) it doesn't register any break applied but the throttle reduces to just over a third of the green bar.

So far I've tried uninstalling and re-installing PCARS, I've checked all the plugs on my wheel and pedals, tried re-calibrating my wheel & pedals with no luck. I'm really at a loss as to what is causing this & how to fix it. I'd really appreciate any help here as now I can no longer play this game.

Sorry for the longwinded post, I just wanted to provide as much info as possible to help understand the problem.

EDIT: Problem solved. The issue was combined pedals, they didn't need to be selected, separate pedals is the way to go. Boy do I feel foolish now.

Last edited:
Glad to see you got a quick resolution at official forum.
Welcome to the PC version. 👍
Cheers mate, I figured it was something small that I was missing & that between the two forums someone would point me in the right direction. I'd been wanting to get a gaming PC for a while now & after one too many crashes to dash on PS4 I had finally had enough. Despite it's flaws PCARS was one of the main reasons for wanting to switch, but I'm also looking forward to trying out the other sims to. I've picked up Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Racing Exp, Game Stockcar Extreme but I seem to spend all my time on PCARS so far.

I'm in the same boat.
I have all those racing games, except the Stockcar one, but none of them offer me the same overall experience as PCARS.

In case any one else is reading, I had a similar issue (funky pedal behaviour, full throttle and no brakes) and it turned out I needed to update the drivers for my DFP.

Hey guys,

I recently made the switch from PS4 to PC & of course as soon as I had installed Steam I bought Project C.A.R.S (again). Anywhoo I'm a complete PC noob, with this PC being my 1st gaming rig. It has;

Gigabyte X99 motherboard with Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E) Processor
16GB Ram
Zotac GeForce GTX 980Ti "Reference Design" 6144MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
500GB SSD
2 TB HDD

Sweet PC setup "Mac". Now that you are on the PC side perhaps I can add you and others on this page to my Steam friends list. Hard to find mates to race and tune with since I left the PS3 and PS4. I left PCars on the PS4 because my G27 was not compatible. Using the controller does not float my boat. But I have some issues with the G27 on the PC with FFB in PCars.

How do you like your Fanatec kit? I am thinking of taking the plunge and going with the wheel base, wheel, pedals and sequential shifter. How does the Fanatec feel on PC with Project Cars?

Cheers mate, I figured it was something small that I was missing & that between the two forums someone would point me in the right direction. I'd been wanting to get a gaming PC for a while now & after one too many crashes to dash on PS4 I had finally had enough. Despite it's flaws PCARS was one of the main reasons for wanting to switch, but I'm also looking forward to trying out the other sims to. I've picked up Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Racing Exp, Game Stockcar Extreme but I seem to spend all my time on PCARS so far.

Assetto Corsa FFB is really bad for me. Very weak and always spiking. Another reason to change to Fanatec and rest the G27 for emergencies. If you could, let me know how the Fanatec rig does with Assetto.

Sweet PC setup "Mac"worth it. Now that you are on the PC side perhaps I can add you and others on this page to my Steam friends list. Hard to find mates to race and tune with since I left the PS3 and PS4. I left PCars on the PS4 because my G27 was not compatible. Using the controller does not float my boat. But I have some issues with the G27 on the PC with FFB in PCars.

How do you like your Fanatec kit? I am thinking of taking the plunge and going with the wheel base, wheel, pedals and sequential shifter. How does the Fanatec feel on PC with Project Cars?
Cheers mate, I'd be happy to add ya, the only thing I regret about switching to PC is not being able to race with the guys I used to on PS4, where I had some of the best races ever. I'm not the quickest by any means, actually my best/most enjoyable race was a race long battle for 4th place (which I didn't gain the position). It was the kind of race that makes racing online worthwhile & showed me how some of the best races don't need to be for a race win. Here's my Steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198203892701/ feel free to add.

As for the Fanatec I can't recommend it highly enough. My 1st wheel was a Logitech Driving Force wheel for GT4 which I switched for a G25 when GT5 finally came out. When I learned about compatibility issues with the PS4 I was interested in the Fanatec but at the time there was a limited supply and so the only way to buy one was through invitation so I went for the Thrustmaster T300. This Sim Racing monkey on my back is a cruel mistress though, always urging me to get better stuff, so when the invitation only thing was dropped I went out and got the Fanatec. If I had one complaint it would be that it is a little pricey. For context I'm a "mature" student in my 40's so a spend of over €1000 was a little hard to justify. Having said that though I have no regrets. Going from the T300, which is also a very good wheel, I was suitably impressed. 1st impression that struck me was the build quality, it feels so sturdy and provides strong butter smooth force feedback. It also is so quiet with none of that grinding you hear with other wheels and I've yet to experience any force feedback fade even when racing in long sessions (something that I unfortunately did get with the T300). I'm also a fan of the wheel rims that are available, it adds to the cost for sure but for me having a realistic looking wheel without game icon buttons really adds to the immersion. All in all a great wheel, a little costly but as I view sim racing as a hobby I think the expense is worth it.

Now I'm considering the Clubsport V3 pedals but they'll have to wait a while.

As for the Fanatec I can't recommend it highly enough. My 1st wheel was a Logitech Driving Force wheel for GT4.

1st impression that struck me was the build quality, it feels so sturdy and provides strong butter smooth force feedback. It also is so quiet with none of that grinding you hear with other wheels.

All in all a great wheel, a little costly but as I view sim racing as a hobby I think the expense is worth it.

Now I'm considering the Clubsport V3 pedals but they'll have to wait a while.

Thanks for the overview Mac. 👍 I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the Fanatec kit soon.
Been doing racing games for quite some time now, like you I started using a wheel in GT4 the Driving Force with sequential shifter built into the steering column.

Got a G27 toward the end of GT5 and was very happy with it. But was a better driver with a controller.
Now its just the opposite.

I found some players on the PS4 who were organized and ran races weekly. But I would be a wreck waiting to happen using a controller now. They are the "CRAP" group and are a good bunch. When I get a PS4 compatible wheel I'll fully join them. For now I find the PC version very enjoyable.

But I still miss my friends from GT6 and the PS3. We didn't always race. We tuned cars and talked about everything from music to movies. And of course cars. We drove round Nurburgring or some other real life track and seeing who could lay down the best time.

I never joined any of the CRAP nights, but a few of them raced in Skankypuppy's GT3 Championship that I was in. I raced some of them briefly but that was as they were passing me as they had more pace than me. Hopefully those kinds of nights will be had on Steam now instead.

Latest Posts

Back