PD admits sub-audio quality on cars Improvement for GT7 and Beyond

• Thread starter Zuku
  • 20 comments
Kind of funny how the sounds went from "too perfect" a year ago to sucking. :lol: I've been saying all along that sounds have just not been a priority for PD and I think what we've learned in the last few days has proven that in spades. I don't think they have even started improving sounds yet for GT7 and I highly doubt we'll see anything much different on the majority of cars in that game.

Exactly, but it's pretty much what I said in the beginning post all this did was tell us what we've know for awhile now.

The "too" real quote is, in hindsight, more likely to have been referring to the changes mentioned here:
And another piece of background regarding the general feedback that sound started to sound cheap since GT5, is not that the quality of the sound source had changed, but is in the fact that the method of creating a realistic and precise soundscape was improved first.
In order to make the system compatible with true surround sound, it was set up so that the positions of a massive number of sound sources within a space, and the directions of sound emissions were calculated precisely. And with automatic gain control, the audio level of the entire scene was output without overflowing and without distortion. This made it so that engine sounds that used to be overdriven and extremely distorted until GT4 was now ringing through clean without distortion, and with an old sound sampling the weakness of the sound source became very noticeable.
From the pit-stop blog, Regarding Engine Sounds of Gran Turismo: (Part.3).

GT sounds suck will suck and will suck even more than the best Hoover 2015-2017. Hoover at least does what it should while PD is way off. Other games have forced PD to hear the reality and they are acting...but i hear no revolution on GT until 2017-2018.

Thanks, Nostradamus. 👍

The first demo on PS4 will reveal all. ;)
You have been warned ;), standards (thank you pd) are to be still enjoyed but just because graphics are a bit behind doesnt mean i want sound to be too, even if Kaz feels that too many cars are a probelm for sound.
I make my prediction (read guess) on calculation they are now searching for people to hire to fix the almost too perfect sounds. Since it is about that soundengineers seem to have dissapeared from the surface of the earth (or let me give you a hint...they have been hired to other gamecompanies that think sound is important even before communities, reviewers and regular players start complaining).

You have been warned ;), standards (thank you pd) are to be still enjoyed but just because graphics are a bit behind doesnt mean i want sound to be too, even if Kaz feels that too many cars are a probelm for sound.
I make my prediction (read guess) on calculation they are now searching for people to hire to fix the almost too perfect sounds. Since it is about that soundengineers seem to have dissapeared from the surface of the earth (or let me give you a hint...they have been hired to other gamecompanies that think sound is important even before communities, reviewers and regular players start complaining).
The "technical support" in the form of the training that prepares young people for a career in the games industry is focused on established processes, on productivity. It's a mill already.

Kaz isn't lamenting being picked last for the team.

Kind of funny how the sounds went from "too perfect" a year ago to sucking. :lol: I've been saying all along that sounds have just not been a priority for PD and I think what we've learned in the last few days has proven that in spades. I don't think they have even started improving sounds yet for GT7 and I highly doubt we'll see anything much different on the majority of cars in that game.
Who puts a fiver on the majority of GT7 cars sounding a bit rougher (a la Senna content), but not having correct sounding samples still? AKA they will just play around a bit with the same old digital collection.

Who puts a fiver on the majority of GT7 cars sounding a bit rougher (a la Senna content), but not having correct sounding samples still? AKA they will just play around a bit with the same old digital collection.
It's more likely that GT6 will get an update for all cars to bring them in line with the Red Bull and Senna cars, and that's pretty unlikely now.

GT7 will go beyond what we've heard to date. The sound from the Aston Martin VGT video still intrigues me, since it sounded like the audio was being controlled by the game (not in sync with the video, though).

It's more likely that GT6 will get an update for all cars to bring them in line with the Red Bull and Senna cars, and that's pretty unlikely now.
That's why i think they will just move that objective over to GT7.
GT7 will go beyond what we've heard to date.
Quoted and saved for future reference. Let's see about that shall we ;)

That's why i think they will just move that objective over to GT7.

Quoted and saved for future reference. Let's see about that shall we ;)
No, you said it's likely GT7 will get "roughened" sounds like the RB/S cars (they're actually procedurally very different from every other sound, but meh), I said it's more likely GT6 will; but that's actually somewhat unlikely. So I'm saying that GT7 only going as far as the current halfway house of the RB/S cars is extremely unlikely.

It's hardly such a scandal to suggest GT7 will contain things we've not witnessed before. It's practically a given with the change in hardware. And no, that was true for PS3 as well.

No, you said it's likely GT7 will get "roughened" sounds like the RB/S cars (they're actually procedurally very different from every other sound, but meh), I said it's more likely GT6 will; but that's actually somewhat unlikely. So I'm saying that GT7 only going as far as the current halfway house of the RB/S cars is extremely unlikely.

It's hardly such a scandal to suggest GT7 will contain things we've not witnessed before. It's practically a given with the change in hardware. And no, that was true for PS3 as well.
Gotta be careful expecting things from PD these days... You always seem quite sure the sounds on the RB/Senna cars are only halfway the internal PD process towards greatness, but on the other hand in PD's lazy logic they might also say "We've had good comments on the RB/S sounds, seeing we want to finally port new sounds over to all our 1400 something cars in time for GT7 we better make haste, and just copy these here samples bare some tweaking.

If they would have made the decision to start over with only new premium cars, i could have believed they would actually make work to get the whole sound engine overhauled and give each car the TLC it needs, as they had the time to do it, but if you hear Kaz talk about porting over all PS2 era standards and PS3 premiums, it will be difficult for them to adjust every sample on 1200+ cars before 2016.

Gotta be careful expecting things from PD these days... You always seem quite sure the sounds on the RB/Senna cars are only halfway the internal PD process towards greatness, but on the other hand in PD's lazy logic they might also say "We've had good comments on the RB/S sounds, seeing we want to finally port new sounds over to all our 1400 something cars in time for GT7 we better make haste, and just copy these here samples bare some tweaking.

If they would have made the decision to start over with only new premium cars, i could have believed they would actually make work to get the whole sound engine overhauled and give each car the TLC it needs, as they had the time to do it, but if you hear Kaz talk about porting over all PS2 era standards and PS3 premiums, it will be difficult for them to adjust every sample on 1200+ cars before 2016.
I don't believe the RB/S cars use samples at all. That's sort of the crux of my "optimism", if you like.

Eventually they'll have as many Premium cars as we have total cars, or close to it. In fact, at 600 cars, we already had sound coverage problems in GT2. This problem will not go away. The sooner PD tackle it, the sooner they can finally deliver the variation in sound we've all been after.

in PD's lazy logic they might also say "We've had good comments on the RB/S sounds, seeing we want to finally port new sounds over to all our 1400 something cars in time for GT7 we better make haste, and just copy these here samples bare some tweaking.
It's usually wise for me to steer clear of threads dealing with sounds, Standards or bot A.I., but what the heck. ;)

I was the early one doubting that we'd get a serious sound update in GT6, because 1200 cars are a lot. Actually, it's more like 900 to 1000 discreet makes and engines. But then as Griffith pointed out in another thread long ago, most street cars can be modified, so let's ballpark at 600, multiply that by four for just the muffler mods (stock, sport, semi-racing and racing), and that gives you 2400 recording jobs to work on. A lot of that can be fudged, and I can't think of a better reason to fudge! And if Forza 4 on 360 doesn't have room for quality sounds on all cars - it doesn't - you can't expect magic on a PS3 game.

GT7 has to have something. If they simply tweaked and roughed up the existing sounds for what they don't have ready to go at launch, that would be something.

It's usually wise for me to steer clear of threads dealing with sounds, Standards or bot A.I., but what the heck. ;)

I was the early one doubting that we'd get a serious sound update in GT6, because 1200 cars are a lot. Actually, it's more like 900 to 1000 discreet makes and engines. But then as Griffith pointed out in another thread long ago, most street cars can be modified, so let's ballpark at 600, multiply that by four for just the muffler mods (stock, sport, semi-racing and racing), and that gives you 2400 recording jobs to work on. A lot of that can be fudged, and I can't think of a better reason to fudge! And if Forza 4 on 360 doesn't have room for quality sounds on all cars - it doesn't - you can't expect magic on a PS3 game.

GT7 has to have something. If they simply tweaked and roughed up the existing sounds for what they don't have ready to go at launch, that would be something.

So true but i hope PD will improve other sounds too that makes it sound better like wind, tire, road, brake, hitting a car or wall and so on..rattle of cockpit stuff that can be done for all cars.
Especially if they make differance between modified (weightimproved) cars where isolation is removed would make it nice too.

Along with all those sound options, I'm hoping that PD gives us the option to include camera shake for both car and driver cam separately, with settings for both. As someone pointed out in another thread, the sense of speed is greater, and that you're in control of a ferocious racing machine. It was in an early build of GT5, but some complained it gave them motion sickness, so unfortunately PD removed it. They really need to bring it back with some settings. For the sake of the squeamish, default should be OFF, but then a little demo should let us play with settings till we get something that suits us.

Along with all those sound options, I'm hoping that PD gives us the option to include camera shake for both car and driver cam separately, with settings for both. As someone pointed out in another thread, the sense of speed is greater, and that you're in control of a ferocious racing machine. It was in an early build of GT5, but some complained it gave them motion sickness, so unfortunately PD removed it. They really need to bring it back with some settings. For the sake of the squeamish, default should be OFF, but then a little demo should let us play with settings till we get something that suits us.
Got a link to show that PD dropped it out of GT5 due to some people complaining about it? If so, got any logical reason why they couldn't just insert an on/off switch into the game?

Ya know, I think I'm going to just ignore you for a while. You're being a pest.

Back