PD F1 Setup for b-speccing wanted

• Thread starter gotsoul
  • 11 comments
Germany
Minden, NRW

Hey folks,

i didn`t knew, where to put this question..So if it`s wrong here, I`m sry..

I´m b-speccing the F1-Championchip. The b-spec-Harry (so I call him) is about 9011 Points strong and looses ground on every track. So I`ve to jump in and go for a few laps, or more sometimes..

1: Why is "9011 Points-Harry" so bad ?

2: Anybody have some advice to trick the car out ? I`ve been slightly changing wings, Damper, Camber, Vehicle-Balance, TCS and Over/Understeer-Management..

..close to suicide ^^

Are you by any chance trying to run the entire race at Pace 5 or something like that?

I won that series with a much lower rated B-Spec driver and no car mods other than tweaking the final drive for each track.

Don't bother with ABS/TCS settings; they're ignored in B-Spec.

One thing that can greatly increase your tire life (more in A-spec) is to reduce the severe toe angle on your rear tires. For example, on Super Speedway, the AI were only able to run 12 laps on a set of tires, because they were burning off the rears. I was able to run a whopping 30 laps per set of tires, but Buntsworth (my B-spec driver) could only manage half that. It didn't make as much of a difference for Buntsworth, but it helped somewhat...

@ Bobk: No chance to run at level 5, Harry`s goin`offtracks on level 4 at Grand Valley`s big U-Turn and several other spots on other tracks..

Even if I switch him between the levels during the race, he`s not able to win..Switched between levels 2-4 he`s loosing 3 sec at one lap on Monte Carlo ^^

And I`m no beginner in car-setting and things, use to play GT since back in that days..

@ Ignignoc N Err: Ok, I`ll try that toe-angle-thing out..

On the big straights (Superspeedway, Le Mans) Harry`s bumping surprisingly to the sidewalls sometimes. This cost alot of time, too..

Another question: When you help out the b-spec with a few a-spec-laps there will be no b-spec points ? And otherwise, if you`re going few laps in b-spec, you`ll get no a-spec points..Is that right ?

So far, thanks..

I`ll try some more..

Was racing Monte Carlo last night. With the toe set to 0 and level-switching between 2-4 (level 2 only at the harbour-chicane and the second tight hairpin downtown) Harry won, after I went to pit 2 laps earlier then usual for 3 times..

Now thats a big surprise to me ^^

Never the less, it was not a real b-spec race, cause i had to sit there all the time..

Was racing Monte Carlo last night. With the toe set to 0 and level-switching between 2-4 (level 2 only at the harbour-chicane and the second tight hairpin downtown) Harry won, after I went to pit 2 laps earlier then usual for 3 times..

Now thats a big surprise to me ^^

Never the less, it was not a real b-spec race, cause i had to sit there all the time..

B-Spec was never intended to be a set it and forget it, walk away and come back later to collect the prize sort of thing, however that seems to be exactly how most people treat it. Doing well in a B-Spec race sometimes takes a bit of skill on your part. The F1 Championship is an example, as you're discovering. It's not simply a matter of reducing the pace on the slow turns and increasing the pace on the high speed turns. It's more a matter of knowing which turns the AI (which includes your B-Spec driver) can handle well and which turns it handles poorly, and adjusting the pace for those turns accordingly.

If you drive a race in mixed A-Spec and B-Spec, you get no A-Spec points. I don't believe you get any B-Spec points either, but I could be mistaken on that; personally I've never done any research in that area.

Yes..

Just as you said, I`m discovering..And wondering, there`s something to learn about GT4 after all these years playing..

In that Monte Carlo Race I gave the car full wings, alittle less Camber in front/back, some softer suspension in general, to come back to topic here..Brakecontrollers were 20/17 at front/back..Vehicle-Weightbalance at -3 to front..These settings came together with the toe angle-setting "Ignignoc N Err" was talking about..I think that all was "smoothing" the cars handling, according to increase speed for better laptimes..

Well, for now I`m quite happy with that adjustment. I`ll try this one in slightly variations at the next course, too..

So far, thanks alot..

The toe angle (albeit exaggerated) actually does serve a tuning purpose. Having the toe-in that the FGTs do in the rear gives the car straight-line stability, especially under hard braking and acceleration. However, the game's physics model doesn't appear to translate that very well, and this severe toe angle only serves to devour tires far faster than necessary.

Of course, it could also have been intentional to "hamstring" the FGTs so that the average schmuck and/or B-spec driver could compete, otherwise it may be a little TOO hard, like GT3's FGTWC was.

Interesting..

Once again I had to help out Harry "Downtown Seoul" and on the "Infineon Raceway"..

I was really analyzing his driving-style onboard, to figure out corner-speeds. It didn`t help in any way. He`s just to slow having 9011 Points, eh ?

I really don`t understand people can race at lower "Harry-Levels", with nothing changed, but gears...

So far I got no good "base-setup" for the car. Monte Carlo was a lucky "screw" I think.

I`ll just have to try out more.

EDIT:

Me and Harry just finished the "Laguna Seca Circuit" with a lot of "Pacework" on my side. Harry even went offtrack while going thru the Corkscrew-chicane and following section at level 1 and 2 with green tires..

EDIT 2.0:

Yesterday night I´ve been racing the Montegi Raceway with default settings on the car. I got the pole for Harry and he was going from grid to finish at first position ^^ I didn`t touch the level settings, so he was going at level 3 and he finished with a 12 Sec lead..Very surprising to me..

After that, in a positive mood, I started ne "Nordschleife" with default settings on the car. Harry tried 4 times, with the pole given by me and lost it. So I decided to race the fifth race, after Harry set a 1 Minute lag after causing lots of accidents ^^

It seems, that Harry can do a few courses well, but he`s bad at the most ones. Right now I can`t recognize a big effect inrace, given by settings on the car..A shame..

So that`s it for me with PD F1 settings for b-speccing.

Thank U guys for advices. :)

Last edited:
The toe angle (albeit exaggerated) actually does serve a tuning purpose. Having the toe-in that the FGTs do in the rear gives the car straight-line stability, especially under hard braking and acceleration. However, the game's physics model doesn't appear to translate that very well, and this severe toe angle only serves to devour tires far faster than necessary.

Of course, it could also have been intentional to "hamstring" the FGTs so that the average schmuck and/or B-spec driver could compete, otherwise it may be a little TOO hard, like GT3's FGTWC was.

It is my sad duty to report that Igni passed away yesterday morning. Not only was he my co-worker, but he was my best friend as well. You will be missed, Igni... :(

Back