PD - FOCUS & IMMERSION

• Thread starter SPORTVAN
  • 0 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
BORDER323
Mr Yamauchi ,

I had the pleasure of meeting you last year on the start grid of the 24hour Nurburgring, and was lucky enough to have had my picture taken with you. It was a great moment for me , I had finally got to meet the Great Kaz, so for that Thankyou.

I thought after about what would of happened if I had the chance to speak to you regarding the GT Simulation and what would I have said.

This is just an opinion, but having had much experience in gaming / and simulations myself , having worked on an driver training aid with a very well known LMS race team.

Gran Turismo - The real Driving Simulator.

I cannot help but think what that actually means , does it mean it can simulate many forms of driving reasonably welll or does it mean it simulates the act of driving as accurately as possible. To me that statement suggests that GT simulates real driving and this is where my question is.

There are many requests on here regarding sounds / physics / livery editors / track creators but my question is in the focus & immersion that encompases all of the mentioned and why it has not reached the standard it should have given so much development time PD have had on the GT franchise, while others [ project cars for example ] are able to provide in their first title.

It seems that more resource and time has been spent on area's of the SIM to do not focus on the " REAL DRIVING " aspect of Gran Turismo, and do not concentrate on the immersion of the sim for the player.

For instance mapping the stars in the sky while is accurate and nice to look at, does not effect the way in which the vehicle is driving in the sim and does not add a great deal to the immersion, where as the sounds add greatly to the immersion and the experience of driving far more and yet for 15 years have not been brought up to date.

Vision GT is another example of a great idea, but adds very little in terms of immersion when pitted against accurate tyre / physics models. [ which are still very flawed ].

Ayrton Senna tribute is fantastic and great addition to the sim, but not if the car sounds like a hair dryer or the physics are incorrect but at least the trees in the background look real.

My final point I guess is, If GT claims to be the real driving simulator, can we please see more focus on the aspects of the sim for it to deserve that crown. There are many new driving titles coming out and GT is going to be left behind I fear for spending to much time concentrating on area's that are irrelivent to the " immersion " of a simulator.

Thanks for your time

Latest Posts

Back