PD Need to make more use of the NASCAR licence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 23 comments
  • 1,987 views

Furinkazen

Sim Racing Organiser
Premium
Messages
44,186
United Kingdom
Blackburn
Messages
Furinkazen_54
PD used the NASCAR license quite badly, with 12 or 13 cars, and two tracks. What I think PD should do is use the license's they have and extend them.

2010DaytonaJuneNNSpracticeStenhouseKligermanGaughanWallaceLogano.jpg


The Nationwide Series - second tier series of NASCAR - very aggressive-looking spectacular cars. Also less powerful and a little easier to get to grips with.


ricky-carmichael-race-truck.jpg


The Camping World Truck Series - something completely different. Spectacular to look at, they often provide the most dramatic NASCAR Racing. Also with their body shape they would have some unique handling traits.

Also if we had Daytona at night, and maybe Talladega and Bristol, or Martinsville and Darlington, PD could actually claim that they had made a good show of their NASCAR license, as now it is criminally under-used.
 
I think the percentage of NASCAR cars present in the current Premium line-up is very large and frankly enough for now to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like driving them and collected all of them but before expanding NASCAR even further there are plenty of other racing series underrepresented or completely absent right now, adding more of them would add variety and diversity which is needed more than another field of NASCAR.
The real problem regarding NASCAR in GT5 is the lack of events in A-Spec and currently no Seasonal Event although there's plenty of NASCAR rooms online providing a good thrill and decent racing if the room is properly hosted.
So no, I don't think we need more NASCAR, we need a lot more of almost every other racing series, past and present.
 
I think the percentage of NASCAR cars present in the current Premium line-up is very large and frankly enough for now to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, I actually like driving them and collected all of them but before expanding NASCAR even further there are plenty of other racing series underrepresented or completely absent right now, adding more of them would add variety and diversity which is needed more than another field of NASCAR.
The real problem regarding NASCAR in GT5 is the lack of events in A-Spec and currently no Seasonal Event although there's plenty of NASCAR rooms online providing a good thrill and decent racing if the room is properly hosted.
So no, I don't think we need more NASCAR, we need a lot more of almost every other racing series, past and present.

Remember PD had DTM and Fia GT lined up for GT5 but cut it, if I remember? Also the WRC license needs to be expanded, even if rallying has until this year had very little to shout about.
 
I didn't know what the FIA GT series was until recently, and now I'm really dying for some of those cars. I follow NASCAR to some extent, but all they really need to do to improve it is add time change. Other new cars are more important (to me at least) at this point 👍.
 
Remember PD had DTM and Fia GT lined up for GT5 but cut it, if I remember? Also the WRC license needs to be expanded, even if rallying has until this year had very little to shout about.

You're correct, they didn't make the final cut for whatever reason which is a real shame.
There are plenty of other series too I would prefer before those NASCAR series you proposed, even when especially those pick-up truck series sure look like fun.
With the amount of time it takes to model new Premium cars I would rather see more Group B rallycars or Rally Raid cars and Le Mans racers new and old for example.
And in addition to DTM, how about WTCC or to fill the huge gap between those little karts and both Ferrari F1 cars (and the FGT), some lower single seat openwheel formula-series like Formula Ford, etc.?
Wouldn't even mind (in fact I would love it) they added a few real racing trucks like these.

super-truck-racing-6.jpg
 
Didn't know that PD had the DTM licence lined up. 👍
 
If they just put Talladega and Daytona at night in, I'd be a happy bunny.

I don't understand why Daytona at night isn't already in. Although maybe it's a hardware problem with all the light sources you'd need.

Still, I'd much rather have a proper flag system. Getting taken out in a NASCAR race online with no caution just means you're on your todd at the back of the field until the race is over.
 
As much as I agree with all of the above that GT5 does need to expand on certain licenses such as F1, NASCAR and WRC, they could gain more licenses such as the WTCC and/or BTCC, FIA GT1, and even the introduction of Rallycross would be a nice feature. Not that we are ever going to see these in any updates or DLC but I guess they are all possibilities for GT6
 
I don't understand why Daytona at night isn't already in.

Yeah, pretty sloppy on their part, whenthe Daytona 500 takes place partly at night, and that the road course hosts a 24 hour race.

Infineon is the biggest omission.
 
Remember PD had DTM and Fia GT lined up for GT5 but cut it, if I remember? Also the WRC license needs to be expanded, even if rallying has until this year had very little to shout about.


Huh? So slowing things down this year is going to make it better? I agree we might see some competition this year, without Citroen spending their way to victory once again, but I don't see how recent years of WRC have been "boring" (once you focus on who takes 2nd in the driver's championship instead of 1st).
 
I always welcome more/new content and enjoy NASCAR racing in GT5. But, there are other NASCAR games available with richer feature sets. So, those people who crave those features should at least try out games tailored to a specific series.

I'd love a full BTCC series or DTM, or something other console games haven't done (as a mainstream game effort).

But, back to NASCAR. I think the addition of a short track or two based on the NASCAR circuit would be a great addition (and I'd pay for them if needed).
 
f40
Yeah, pretty sloppy on their part, whenthe Daytona 500 takes place partly at night, and that the road course hosts a 24 hour race.

Infineon is the biggest omission.

Infineon was a license lost by PD - it's sponsorship is lost on the Audi R8's.

[/B]
Huh? So slowing things down this year is going to make it better? I agree we might see some competition this year, without Citroen spending their way to victory once again, but I don't see how recent years of WRC have been "boring" (once you focus on who takes 2nd in the driver's championship instead of 1st).

Erm no.. WRC was still good. I never said they were boring. 2008 (GT's rally cars Subaru, Suzuki, Ford Citroen).

Now we have Ford, Citroen, VW, Mini, Saab in a couple years...

Makes me think if they also got the IRC license... PD could make a serious step forward.
 
f40
Yeah, pretty sloppy on their part, whenthe Daytona 500 takes place partly at night, and that the road course hosts a 24 hour race.
Provided there isn't a hardware issue as to why it can't be included, then I agree that it's completely sloppy not to have it included. NASCAR races online would feel more alive.
iamjajo
But, there are other NASCAR games available with richer feature sets. So, those people who crave those features should at least try out games tailored to a specific series.
Unfortunately, such games now don't get shipped to Europe. And even if I import them, I would lag so much because I'd be racing predominantly people in the US.

So GT5 is the only NASCAR racing most can do. I don't think people were expecting a full-featured NASCAR mode in GT5, but there are some glaring problems that wouldn't take much to fix.

It desperately needs a caution system, and a couple of tracks like Dega or Darlington.

I really hope Polyphony keep the NASCAR license for GT6, but just put a bit more thought into it. It's easily the most fun I've had online, even if the drafting is a complete mess.
 
What gets me is that they modelled all of the 2008 NASCAR cars (with the rear wings) and didn't include them in the final game. Why bother?
 
Nothing wrong with Nascar but considering the fact in GT5 race cars suspensions doesn't bounce as they should, I prefer they focus on road cars, expecially sports and supercars. Race cars in GT5 drive "flat" they feel on rails (I mean vertically, Nascars have lot of oversteer I know) but the lack of bouncing in suspension physics feel kinda arcadeish compared to their road cars and other sims. So, weird, as usual.
 
It would be fun if they added Bristol and Dover, tracks that require something other than the gas pedal being mashed to the floor the entire time around.
 
i agree i'm not a big NASCAR fan but i might enjoy it a little bit better if they had more NASCAR tracks......2 ovals? seriously? they should add some big named ones like talladega milwaki bristol ect.
 
They really didn't do very well with any of the licenses they secured.
 
So none of you mention the fact that is quite obvious...there is NO DODGE CUP CAR!!!
I don't care if they only take up 1% or less of the field those Dodge's especially this year are fast. I like the differences in power from Chevy to Toyota to Ford though slight they are there.
 
Without asymmetric tuning and detailed and controllable tire data (pressure, temperatures), I don't think that the driving behavior of nascar stock cars on ovals will ever be authentic in GT5.
 
Unfortunately, such games now don't get shipped to Europe. And even if I import them, I would lag so much because I'd be racing predominantly people in the US.

So GT5 is the only NASCAR racing most can do. I don't think people were expecting a full-featured NASCAR mode in GT5, but there are some glaring problems that wouldn't take much to fix.

There's a NASCAR game being developed in the UK (Newcastle, to be precise) at the mo, which will get a worldwide release.

Thing is though, I'm not sure how popular NASCAR is outside the US, so I'm not convinced there is the demand for including any more of it in the GT series.

Saying that, didn't a recent Belgian Touring Car race have a couple of NASCARS on the grid? They did fairly badly, iirc.
 
There's a NASCAR game being developed in the UK (Newcastle, to be precise) at the mo, which will get a worldwide release.

Thing is though, I'm not sure how popular NASCAR is outside the US, so I'm not convinced there is the demand for including any more of it in the GT series.

Saying that, didn't a recent Belgian Touring Car race have a couple of NASCARS on the grid? They did fairly badly, iirc.

Is that not the glitch-filled NASCAR 2011 by Eutechnyx?
 
I'm p*ssed off that the enduros include TWO races at Tsukuba, of all places. They could have replaced one with the Daytona 500, which would have nicely complemented the Indy 500.

My vote for an extra NASCAR track - Pocono. Almost a half-way house between oval and road course, with three very different corners.
 
Personally, as there already are two superspeedways, and since GT5 lacks short tracks, a short oval like Bristol would be the right choice for PD if they'll ever decide to add one more in GT5. It would be nice for night racing too.
 
Back