PD needs to update B-spec

• Thread starter ddl8
  • 23 comments
I think b-spec should be updated in the following ways:

1. They should introduce mechanical damage to it.

2. They should add a chase command - that is your driver is going to keep close to the front car without overtaking it. (psychological pressure so to say)

3. The opponents should "feel" psychological pressure when you chase them (option 2), and when you do it for a long time opponents should make mistakes.

4. AI should be more agressive overall - they have to fight for the spot and not keep up with the place they have - the preset outcome for the race when it comes to AI is tedious to watch.

5. They should allow fuel run out.

6. Whould be cool to have flat tires too but without too much bias in this area.

7. Increase pace command should have no limits - that is when you use it too much your Bob goes off track. (too much psychological pressure, threatening to fire him, promising him too much money - and the bob overheats and goes off track)

When at least above thing are done, b-spec is gonna rock, its gonna be fun to watch it, because its going to be quite unpredictable!

Last edited:
In response to suggestion No.3, there was an old PS2 title named Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano with a similar psych out routine. It was called a "Knock-out". Basically you tried to follow the car ahead of you as close as possible until it makes a mistake (knock out meter gets low). Conversely, the AI cars can also perform the same on you. When you get "knocked out", your vision blurs and your reflexes slows down making you liable to make mistakes like overshooting your braking points, turning in too soon, etc. Would have been cool to incorporate something like that in this game.

In response to suggestion No.3, there was an old PS2 title named Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano with a similar psych out routine. It was called a "Knock-out". Basically you tried to follow the car ahead of you as close as possible until it makes a mistake (knock out meter gets low). Conversely, the AI cars can also perform the same on you. When you get "knocked out", your vision blurs and your reflexes slows down making you liable to make mistakes like overshooting your braking points, turning in too soon, etc. Would have been cool to incorporate something like that in this game.

SCAR, also implemented in Evolution GT by Blackbean. It didn't work that well really...

2. They should add a chase command - that is your driver is going to keep close to the front car without overtaking it. (psychological pressure so to say)
The system in GT4 worked like this. You could make Bob ride the AI drivers like mad, and even if he had a faster car he would go out of his way to avoid overtaking unless you told him to. That's one of the things I don't like about the GT5 system, because Bob overtakes regardless of if you want him to or not. It makes the overtake button useless.

3. The opponents should "feel" psychological pressure when you chase them (option 2), and when you do it for a long time opponents should make mistakes.
To an extent, the current system already does this. If you ride the AI's bumper in a race where everyone is driving skiddish cars (Classic Muscle Car Championship, British Lightweight, World Classic Car Series), the AI drivers will actually make huge mistakes while racing after a while. That is actually one of the things that annoys me about A-Spec, because the AI in A-Spec doesn't do anything like that.

I love the idea, but most games that have it as a dedicated feature tend to overdo it in a pretty unrealistic way (all of the games I've played have had it so when the bar was full, the AI driver instantly went nuts. Even if they were on a straightaway, with nothing around them). I personally think the way GT5 has it set up is better, because it is more realistic when drivers screw up. I just think that it should be more common than it is, with the "Hot" portion of the temperament meter causing more mistakes than it currently does.

They all ready do this if cars are equal you wont be able to pass, Both drivers pace goes up. as they battle, the longer the battle the lower the mental and physical bars get. They then make more errors.

4. AI should be more agressive overall - they have to fight for the spot and not keep up with the place they have - the preset outcome for the race when it comes to AI is tedious to watch.
If the Cars are even they will do this, did a le mans 5 lap race. lead changed over 20 times. between 6 of cars
Not for the endurance races they miss their tire stops on the ring endurance races and then spin out enough all ready in B-spec. Let them keep their reserve tank and crawl round at 50mph still

True, you won't see any of this if you over power your cars for every race.

They already upgraded B-spec (kinda) given you the mode that was supposed to be there from day 1. (stupid server load problems at launch) you can now replace the 15 PS3 AI cars With 15 Friends B-spec bob AIs for 20min races.
Do it correctly And you WILL lose.. Example.
Screenshot-2.png

Bugger..

Your not even meant to be doing offline mode races more than once now, if you have a internet connection. Driving B-spec offline is now a selfish act (Or will be when PSN is Back up. PD never planned for it to be down.. ).

Your not even meant to be doing offline mode races more than once now, if you have a internet connection. Driving B-spec offline is now a selfish act (Or will be when PSN is Back up. PD never planned for it to be down.. ).
*raises eyebrow*

Good observations here :) I support! :D

This and the fast forward mode would make a terrific B-Spec... well... they would make it more tolerable at least...

I just wish it was the way it was in GT4.

OP, your ideas would make B-spec more interesting, but in my opinion, they shouldn't add anymore to it. PD should focus on things that involves us actually driving.

I just wish it was the way it was in GT4.

OP, your ideas would make B-spec more interesting, but in my opinion, they shouldn't add anymore to it. PD should focus on things that involves us actually driving.

2 All: nice observations guys about comparing it to b-spec of gt4 or using equal cars for b-spec to feel the action, as for the former - I didn't play b-spec when I played GT4, so not quite sure how good GT4's b-spec (I was too young at that time to play b-spec, now I guess I am too old to play a-spec so I play b-spec), as for later I think I will try to use equally powerfull car, now I use PD red bull if I am allowed to, but yet again it kind of suck to be able to lose >2 hour race, and you still unable to chase down a car in front of you without overtaking it, you know its good to know that if you made a mistake in a race you gonna overtake everybody without an effort, but meanwhile you can kind of get rid of opponent cars by chasing them down - I think it would be fun to make them go off the track one by one - and yes mechanical damage would make it even more fun.

My only gripe is with point #7. You aren't supposed to be the driver's brain, you are supposed to be his manager. Thus, since no human being in their right mind (even a racecar driver) would drive 200 mph at a wall, this idea doesn't click with me. I'd like the driver to say something along the lines of "🤬 off" or "there's no way!" after you click the button too many times in a row.

Other than that, I'd like to have fuel empty, flats, and blown engines in a spec as well as b spec and the other points were rather good as well 👍

Agree with points above, and would also like to see the Pit Strategy cleaned up. It would be nice if you could specify tire/fuel strength separate from driver strength to eliminate the ridiculous "pit every lap" in the longer endurance races. I want to battle my opponent, not win the race because he pits every lap. I would also like the option to specify Number of Laps between pit stops.

Let bob race his own race while we play A spec at the same time, why does it have to take up so much resource lol, Also I want bobs as AI competitors in A spec with my cars too!!

My biggest problem with B-Spec is that it gives roughly 3 times less XP, meaning I have to repeat LM 24h many times if I want level 40, what I will not do. I won't torture my PS3 that much for stupid B-Spec.
Example:
I'm now level 33 in B-Spec. I did 6/9 enduros so far. For Tsukuba 9h I'll get only 950000xp which will only put me to level 34. Then I'll have to re-do the 9h race 2 more times to get level 35. Then I'll unlock 24h of Le Mans which I'll have to do 9 TIMES FOR level 40!
3x9+9x24=243h=10 days of my PS3 running 'round the clock.
No bloody way!

Every time I start a response I give up and just think how much better could GT5 have been!.

There is no rush to get to level 40. Once there nothing else happens ?

Why not merge A and B spec once you get to level 40 into one mode so you could use a B spec driver in a A spec race just as GT4 did.

Why not go back to GT2 and have more than 1 prize car for each event ?
With over 1000 cars it would be better than having to run really boring races to get enough cash to buy all these 1000 + cars. (which really needs more events so you can use them all).

Yev
My biggest problem with B-Spec is that it gives roughly 3 times less XP, meaning I have to repeat LM 24h many times if I want level 40, what I will not do. I won't torture my PS3 that much for stupid B-Spec.
Example:
I'm now level 33 in B-Spec. I did 6/9 enduros so far. For Tsukuba 9h I'll get only 950000xp which will only put me to level 34. Then I'll have to re-do the 9h race 2 more times to get level 35. Then I'll unlock 24h of Le Mans which I'll have to do 9 TIMES FOR level 40!
3x9+9x24=243h=10 days of my PS3 running 'round the clock.
No bloody way!

I'm sure that GT good point is the length of the game. People probably won't complete it in a month. So be patient.
And you don't need to repeat the races continuously. You can just let your PS3 rest every 3 days or 4.
Now maybe we just need to ask PD to add more races.

They all ready do this if cars are equal you wont be able to pass, Both drivers pace goes up. as they battle, the longer the battle the lower the mental and physical bars get. They then make more errors.

If the Cars are even they will do this, did a le mans 5 lap race. lead changed over 20 times. between 6 of cars
Not for the endurance races they miss their tire stops on the ring endurance races and then spin out enough all ready in B-spec. Let them keep their reserve tank and crawl round at 50mph still

True, you won't see any of this if you over power your cars for every race.

They already upgraded B-spec (kinda) given you the mode that was supposed to be there from day 1. (stupid server load problems at launch) you can now replace the 15 PS3 AI cars With 15 Friends B-spec bob AIs for 20min races.
Do it correctly And you WILL lose.. Example.
Screenshot-2.png

Bugger..

I am trying it out now, just can not figure out what is the point of this, if there are no control buttons (reduce pace, increase pace, etc.), you can not tune your car (at least I dd not find it), just watch how higher level drivers beat you?

and you dont get xp and money!

edit: ok you actually get the money for the race and xp too!

Last edited:
The best thing they can do for b-spec is to remove it. I'm not japanese, I didn't play with tomogotchi's, and I like to race the game myself.

one thing that drives me up the wall is that bobs LET THE OPPONNENTS PASS!!!!! there needs to be a blocking system of some sort

You don't let faster cars pass you?

I think it's more realistic that Bob would let a faster car pass. That probably produces a faster overall time. Though I admit, no reason not to make this your choice.

------------------

"
I am trying it out now, just can not figure out what is the point of this, if there are no control buttons (reduce pace, increase pace, etc.), you can not tune your car (at least I dd not find it), just watch how higher level drivers beat you?"

It would be better if you could issue commands. But also a bit unfair. You don't get to use your own cars. They are randomly assigned. I think it's a lot of fun, though. You don't have to watch it like a hawk. It produces a fair amount of money, and it's good eye candy if you're with your PS3, and a good use of your game if you're not.

Frankly, I haven't been able to get back to my remote racing since the PSN crash, and I really miss it.

I would like more control over my destiny in remote racing, and I think the best way would be to tune a car for each of the remote races. Say they have six? You can buy and tune a car for each event, and let them use that. If you don't, one is provided to you. Then, you're really the car chief, pitted against the other players who set their cars up for the same race. It would lead to a lot of testing and generally be a blast. And they could change the events every couple of months, to keep things fresh.

Back