PD: Please adjust A.I. speed on Cape Ring Loop*

• Thread starter research
  • 14 comments

research

Premium
United States
Ohio
ecko_driver81
Does anybody else think that Cape Ring has some real potential- especially the different variations. I'm not a huge fan of the entire course but the Periphery, Inside, North and South sections can be really fun in their own right.

The big problem that happens at this track is the A.I. opponents when they enter the big loop. They just go into cruise mode. I've read many posts from GTPers talking about 'making up time' on the A.I. in this loop. Well, that's all well and good during a rabbit-chase seasonal/a-spec race- but where the REAL single player racing lies, in arcade mode and practice mode one-make races, you do not want the A.I. to be excessively slow at any point.

All kinds of great racing action could be taking place all around Cape Ring, but when you get to that big loop you either let off the gas and coast with them, or blow past them with indescribable ease. C'mon Polyphony- make the small adjustment and turn this track loose. We know you didn't spend all that time and energy with the goal of making GT5's premier original track so limited. That loop should be a real highlight, not a hinderance.

maybe update 2.11 ? 👍

I agree with you, I like Cape Ring because it reminds me of a scaled down version of the old Complex String. I also agree that the AI is on the slow side around the loop (and generally throughout the game). There are many other places like this where the AI goes into 'economy' mode.

For one such example, try Daytona Road Course in the Tuner Car Series in A-spec, the cars will only half throttle through all of the banked sections, and you can blast by in a car with 200-300HP less than the opponents. Just... why? :dunce:

Yeah, another one of those PD oddities. Maybe there's some code that doesn't allow the AI to exceed a certain limit in regards to it's continous lateral angle. Like Lewis mentioned, DRC is like that too.

I never use that configuration for any Arcade, only for mining credits in a seasonal. A couple times I'd forgotten about DRC and set up an Arcade then passed everyone like they were standing still. Guess if you really wanted to use CRP for Arcades or one makes, the loop could be a no passing zone. DRC is too long for that though. Doubt this will get fixed unless there's a big AI overhaul. Hopefully GT6 will have a more competitive AI.

Unfortunatly, the AI is slow at any corner and not just on that loop. It's that and, even if they're in front but the player's nearby they'll slow down to allow the overtake.
IMO that's why GT5 is useless if you want an offline racing game.
Either the AI has a faster car than the players' car, or they can be easily caught and overtaken.

I think it's something to do with the camber of the road - the AI doesn't take into account the dynamic increase (or decrease!) in grip it provides. Hence all the course-creator silliness, too...

I'd like the AI to be more like it was at launch, but with the "emotion" stuff they later added from B-Spec, but tuned a bit more sensibly.

Roll back the A.I to what they had in Prologue, job done!

👍

AI is using simplified version of physics, that's it. And even players physics is in the end when car is moving further than 10 cm upon track. On Eiger and Cape ring cars are jumping like origami paper frogs and land without upsetting any coil spring. Almost no body roll at all. How is mass, gravity and such things calculated, god knows. Sometimes I come to a conclusion that PD false the physics and simulate just optical illusion of working suspension? It has lot to do with AI, because they again just simulate the illusion of thinking and driving, in fact they are driving on rails with some exceptions like driving around standing car on track, repeating some mistake on certain places etc.

I agree with you, I like Cape Ring because it reminds me of a scaled down version of the old Complex String. I also agree that the AI is on the slow side around the loop (and generally throughout the game). There are many other places like this where the AI goes into 'economy' mode.

For one such example, try Daytona Road Course in the Tuner Car Series in A-spec, the cars will only half throttle through all of the banked sections, and you can blast by in a car with 200-300HP less than the opponents. Just... why? :dunce:

Because polyphony haven't put in a decent effort to program some competitive AI for years now... it remains a big fustration, and something that ruins the game, but they haven't bothered as they are renowned of focusing to much on certain aspects just to neglect other important ones (like sound and AI) entirely...

There; been a while since i posted here, but i couldn't let the chance slip to **** on this AI again ;)

I actually don't mind the cape ring loop with the A.I., I use it as my cash cow or "farming" tracks, just because you can use a ridiculously underpowered car, and win easily! They used it in a seasonal with huge payouts, good when running low on cash!

There's another track where the A.I. runs very "conservative", ill try to remember.

Edit: Trial Mountain, the long corner after the long straight. They usually slow down quite a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah never mind actually racing, huh? As long as you can get some easy money it's all good.

Not what I meant. I meant, if you need to, it's there for quick money!

I never "actually" run on Cape Ring, I hate the track! To me a jump in a track, is not a track rather more of a "playground".

Other tracks, on the other hand, I race cleanly and fairly! As I primarily drift, I don't race as much anymore but when I do, it's online with people, not A.I.

I think it's something to do with the camber of the road - the AI doesn't take into account the dynamic increase (or decrease!) in grip it provides. Hence all the course-creator silliness, too...

I'd like the AI to be more like it was at launch, but with the "emotion" stuff they later added from B-Spec, but tuned a bit more sensibly.

That may be a pretty accurate thought. There has to be SOME reason that they are just cruising like that. Then of course the bigger question immediately comes up: What are PD's Testers doing? 8 total years of development and no one thinks there's a problem? That goes for the A.I. in general like you guys are saying, but in places like the cape ring loop- it's abysmal. As a tester doing my job I would certainly speak up and say,

"Can we just maybe turn up the A.I. grip or speed through here please?"

Is there a strange, tense dynamic going on where the testers might not want to raise such issues? :nervous:

The AI treat the corner as if it was perfectly flat, not as if it has extra camber to it, which would increase the speed to an extent of how fast you can go around the corner.

I've definitely tested this to see just how slow they are. I made a one-make with the TVR Speed 12. After entering the race I went to settings, just like normal, and switched to comfort medium tires. I had trouble keeping up to the AI, but when I hit the loop it was gameover - after exiting the loop I put 1.7 seconds on the AI and that's pretty much the gap I finished with.

Latest Posts

Back