PD relocating to Fukuoka

  • Thread starter Thread starter sesselpupser
  • 13 comments
  • 1,841 views
Kotaku is just mistranslating original news that was originally translated by Andriasang, read it here:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/06/polyphony_fukuoka/

PD is not "ditching" Tokyo, they're just establishing a new brunch in Fukuoka, with 50 employees moving from Tokyo HQ. Is is not made clear which department is moving or what it means for any ongoing process inside Polyphony.

As Andriasang reports, Fukuoka is usual home to major developers, as the likes of Level 5 and CyberConnect2 are based there.

Just for the notice, Fukuoka is situated on the least earthquake-sensitive part of Japan and moving there will probably establish a higher level of safety for moving Division, which can pretty much imply that they're moving Network Division or something similar. Also important is that insurance-costs for equipment are also very low there when compared to Tokyo.

Also worth noticing is that Fukuoka city have made strategic move in 2010 in becoming "game development centre". It is part of their overall development-strategy and there also lies a probable reasons why PD decided to move part of their divisions there.

more info here: http://www.ibukimagazine.com/northwest-a-beyond/world/127-fukuokas-game-for-business

BTW Kotaku and their tabloid-"news" should be forbidden.
 
So apparently PD are moving to a new studio in Fukuoka because of the earthquake and the ensuing problems in Tokyo. Seems odd to move now, four months on... I wonder what this means for the seasonal events schedule and future updates?

Source:
http://kotaku.com/5818881/gran-turismo-developer-ditching-tokyo

There's this massive cloud hanging over Tokyo. They've been expecting a big **** off earthquake in the Kanto area following previous such events in the past.
It seems that the Tōhoku earthquake and ensuing tsunami has reminded the Japanese people of this threat, and how they can never expect to fully prevent a disaster.

Note also that Polyphony is not "ditching" Tokyo (****ing journalists), as only one third of the team is moving...

Four months seems pretty normal, given the logistics involved.
And yeah, what amar212 said.
 
Fair enough, I don't frequent Kotaku at all so I wasn't aware of their reputation. Still, it's not inconceivable that this will affect GT5's development, is it? Also, considering the facts you've both just laid out, why wouldn't they move their entire staff? I mean, why leave 100 people in Tokyo, which could suffer another huge earthquake any day now, when Fukuoka is an up-and-coming game development district in Japan? I suppose that'll be for logistical reasons and a complete move may follow, maybe.
 
GT6 str8 outta Fukuoka!

Great, somehow that just caused NWA's "Straight out of Compton" to start playing in my head. :crazy: At least it got rid of the theme from "Hunt for Red October" that's been stuck in a loop all morning........
 
Let's hope they can harvest some talent. It's clear they have the people's backing, but the competition will be an eye opener for everyone very soon.

Moving, relocating, expanding, whatever it you want to call it should have no negative impact on their business. It's a geeographical transition, nothing else.
 
Lol, last off topic, I promise, but now NWA just got replaced with "Gu...., gu...., gu.....!" , followed by the Dukes theme. Thanks.

Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog.
 
I'm suprised to read this. No doubt that it's far away from Tokyo and recent disasters.

Kojima Productions did the exact same after the 1995 earthquake in Kobe. They moved across the country to Tokyo.
 
I have a feeling this is going to ****ing delay GT6 by 2 years.
 
NA
Great, somehow that just caused NWA's "Straight out of Compton" to start playing in my head. :crazy: At least it got rid of the theme from "Hunt for Red October" that's been stuck in a loop all morning........

Same here. As soon as I read it, bam.. I hear Ice Cube rapping. Davelis is his name... and he's straight out of Compton.
 
NA
Lol, last off topic, I promise, but now NWA just got replaced with "Gu...., gu...., gu.....!" , followed by the Dukes theme. Thanks.

Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog.

Sniffing glue lately?
 
Back