PD should add a clutch button on controllers

• Thread starter PastorM
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
We've seen other racing games in the Forza series, Project Cars, AC, etc have this feature.

This would also eliminate the advantage wheel users would have by using an h-shifter and clutch, allowing them to use their shifter on sport mode once again. Atm, banning the use of h-shifter in sport mode only hurts the player base as it limits what they can use.

I had a better idea. In addition to the option of picking between AT/MT and then having it apply to all cars, there could be an option to have it go on a car-by-car basis. So if a car has AT in real life, it'll behave as such when you drive it in GT7. Similar thing with cars that are MT, both those with and without a clutch. Heck, I recall hearing that even many Ferraris these days have a DCT, meaning they can be driven as automatics.

And yes, this concept would naturally include the option to map the clutch to your controller. I found it interesting that in GTS, every car had their transmission type listed in the settings - including whether it used a clutch or a DCT, etc. - but then that info is seemingly not available in GT7, at least in my experience. Maybe I just overlooked it? Either way, I think this would definitely add further character to certain cars.

Last edited:
Wait.. whut?

What advantage is that?

Players who use clutch (which is only on wheels atm) can shift faster.

I had a better idea. In addition to the option of picking between AT/MT and then having it apply to all cars, there could be an option to have it go on a car-by-car basis. So if a car has AT in real life, it'll behave as such when you drive it in GT7. Similar thing with cars that are MT, both those with and without a clutch. Heck, I recall hearing that even many Ferraris these days have a DCT, meaning they can be driven as automatics.

And yes, this concept would naturally include the option to map the clutch to your controller. I found it interesting that in GTS, every car had their transmission type listed in the settings - including whether it used a clutch or a DCT, etc. - but then that info is seemingly not available in GT7, at least in my experience. Maybe I just overlooked it? Either way, I think this would definitely add further character to certain cars.

I would like that. I just figured this would be the easiest solution for PD as I simply can't see them going the extra mile to implement the real-world transmissions.

Project Cars 1/2 had something similar and even went further by implementing an option that allowed the cars to only use their real world assists, so if an older vintage car didn't have things like TCS or ABS, you couldn't use them in the game. This may be going too far, but it would be a nice feature.

Last edited:
We've seen other racing games in the Forza series, Project Cars, AC, etc have this feature.

This would also eliminate the advantage wheel users would have by using an h-shifter and clutch, allowing them to use their shifter on sport mode once again. Atm, banning the use of h-shifter in sport mode only hurts the player base as it limits what they can use.
what about the advantage controllers have when you can shift with the press of a button? ;)

No they should not I have problems with fine hand motor control so I think they should not
You wouldn't be forced to use it. Adding it as an option doesn't hurt anyone. If anything, the way it is right now where it forces players to not use their h-shifters and clutch, hurts the player base as there are less options for racing.

And what button on the already-too-many-functions-for-the-buttons-that-exist PS4/5 controller would you give up to map this feature to?

And what button on the already-too-many-functions-for-the-buttons-that-exist PS4/5 controller would you give up to map this feature to?
I'd remove the useless nitro and assign the clutch to X. Just like I use it in Forza Motorsport with
square --> + gear
circle --> - gear

Cars with ERS have paddle shifting anyway so I'd easily switch it back to X whenever needed.

Last edited:
Back